• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

I have very recently moved my website to a new domain. I was quite pleased that if you do a Google search for local search langley bc, then the new domain is already at #3. That is done with a search that starts off http: //www.google.com/search (space deliberate to avoid hyperlink).

Since more and more people are now using smart devices and cell phones, I thought it might be intriguing to see what came up in a Mobile search. All you need to do is to add in an /m into the search URL so that it starts off http: //www.google.com/m/search (again space left in to avoid hyperlink). The intriguing result is that the Google Mobile Search for local search langley bc does not include my new domain within the first 10 results that are shown by default.

This clearly is an important issue. The extent to which a website is ranking in the mobile search will depend on a number of factors not least the code base, which should be XHTML.

How well does your website perform in the searches that all those people on the go are doing? :(

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

Whew, my most important #1 spot is still #1 in mobile. I never checked before.

And what I also find very interesting is that there were only 3 listings on the page (which makes sense, of course). So, top 3 is extremely important in mobile.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Interesting.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

If you would like to do some more checking of whether your website comes up for important keywords on Google Mobile Search, I've set up a small simulation to make your checking easier. HTH.

#4 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

Eek! A phrase I've been checking, to see if my users would use it, was completely gone from mobile search. Lo and behold, now it's gone from the big screen serps, too. Looks like I have more stuff to check.

Does Google care (or know) if you have a good mobile stylesheet?

Any guesses as to where differences between mobile and big screen search results are coming from?

Lordy. Almost called it BS search. I guess that'd make mobile search a Ms.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users