• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2544 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

I really detest the standard Wordpress WYSIWIG editor.

Does anyone have something a little bit more advanced - a plugin - to recommend to me. At the least I want to be able to create names ancors within the text.

Thanks
Glyn

#2 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

There are a lot of plugins to extend the WP editor:

TinyMCE Buttons
TinyMCE Advanced
Advanced TinyMCE Editor
WP Super Edit

And, of course, many others. I haven't used any of these, since I pretty much exclusively hand-code posts, but perhaps these will provide what you're looking for.

#3 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

All I'm going to say here is that klutzy WYSIWYGs are a great reason to learn some basic html.
:angel:

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2544 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:40 AM

No way!
I don't want to fill my head up with something that a generator can do for me and I can then sanity check for bloat. Much better things to fill my head up with!
G

#5 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1884 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:57 AM

Unfortunately using a generator has failed for you. You site is bloated with wonky code. Doing the job by hand would have resulted in a much better site.

As Elizabeth suggests, the only real way to ensure a well oiled site is to hand code or pay someone to do it for you.

#6 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2544 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:17 AM

I'm glad you like my playground.

#7 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1884 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

The point being made is that all generators will add odds bits of proprietry code and manage the page structure according to their programming. To get a really clean wordpress template you need to do a good chunk by hand.

#8 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

There are only a handful of html bits that you really need to code most blog posts by hand. A cheat sheet could fit on a postit, or at the most two postits if you're getting really fancy and have special cases that you want displayed differently. It only looks complicated because of the extra crap that WYSIWYGs will guestimate and throw in.

#9 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2544 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:53 AM

Agree. Generators always add stuff they shouldn't. Anyone remember what Dreamweaver use to do to IMG files dimensions if you just wanted a placemarker! I still use a battered copy of Homesite 4.5 for my SEO stuff and the designers can have the fun they need with keeping on top of the languages development and CSS 3-4-5-5-6-7--8 :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users