• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5483 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

An article on CNN says that the US Marine Corps has blocked twitter, facebook, myspace and other social sites for the next year. http://www.cnn.com/2....ban/index.html

They cite information exposure, malicious actors and malicious code as some of the fears.

I completely understand their concerns... but I bet some of the troops are suffering withdrawl... a general blogging from the battlefield??

#2 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

I'm guessing they haven't read this article
http://outspokenmedi...makes-you-mute/

#3 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:07 AM

So the US Air Force isn't (see this) but the marines are?

Color me confused.

#4 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

The Marines are a bit of a different animal. Did you know that they don't have their own medical officers? The Navy does their medical care. My guess is that Navy Seals and Special Forces also observe limited Social Media interaction. Maybe things will loosen up down the line, as the Marines settle on policies.

I've seen the Air Force Blog Assessment graphic before, on BoingBoing and elsewhere. It's great.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4426 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Maybe because ground troops are at great risk from a slip up than people at sea. Although no doubt my understanding of what marines do most of the time is probably not very good ...

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

The most thoughtful analysis of this recent reactive behaviour of the US Marines (and ESPN) I've read: Paranoia vs. Social Media: Why ESPN and the USMC got it wrong, and why IBM got it right by Olivier Blanchard.

The risk here is not the medium, it is the behavior. Ban access to the medium and you solve nothing: The behavior is still there, only now, you are blind to it. Double-fail.

Note: Mr. Blanchard writes one of my current list of Top 10 Marketing Blogs.

#7 notepage

notepage

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:30 AM

I think the real concern is the dissemination of real time information about an opp in progress being tweeted.

#8 Laura Varon

Laura Varon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

I think the real concern is the dissemination of real time information about an opp in progress being tweeted.

This would be my guess too.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users