Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

How Do "complex Seo Solutions" Differ From Simple Ones?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

Lots of SEO jobs say knowledge/experience of "complex SEO solutions".
In fact, a lot of the job descriptions are identical, which probably means that the people writing it do not know. But anyway. What is a Complex SEO Solution?

Would building a SM campaign be considered complex? Or are we talking sneaky stuff that people cannot specify? Although this seems highly unlikely.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I think that the meaning of that term varies from one company to the next. Certainly page optimization, directory submission and other pedestrian work would be simple SEO solutions.

However, site architecture, linkbait, conversion tracking, etc. could be considered a complex solution at some companies.

In summary clients are told that they are getting "complex SEO solutions" when their wallets start smoking. :)

Edited by EGOL, 18 August 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

ooh need to add "enhancing site architecture to improve search engine results" to my CV.

Cheers!

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3821 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

Complex 301 redirects, dealing with session variables, or any coding issues might be included in there, as well as optimizing 10,000,000 product pages. :)

Edited by dazzlindonna, 18 August 2009 - 05:53 PM.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

"dealing with session variables"

Huh? We'll forget about that one for now!

#6 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

Sounds snarky to me.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at some of those job listings and they all seem to be in the UK/England. Perhaps that is local jargon for something we Americans describe differently.

My first impression was, "They're sandbagging a black hat job". But now I'm not so sure.

#7 cvos

cvos

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

"SEO is complex to everyone at first"

They likely mean working with websites that have > 10000 pages, an undefined internal link structure, unwieldy query strings, duplicate content problems, improper redirects, and uncooperative sys admins.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

Ah, so steer clear of those jobs.....

#9 TheManBehindTheCurtain

TheManBehindTheCurtain

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1035 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

"dealing with session variables"

Huh? We'll forget about that one for now!

Actually, I'm curious about this one ... can anyone point me to a source to find out more on this issue?

#10 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2568 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

I think complex seo entends to R&D of competitor networks, scaling solutions and indentifying risks. Business approach rather than we are first page for Google.

My suggestion, run a gradient from white to black on your CV and balance this with black to white text. As you read down the CV start to get a little bit more explanatory of some of the heavier tactics you can use. Basically nowadays I think business wants people that understand the whole picture from creating 600 links over 2 weeks, to site architecture. Clearly if you can speak in volumetric terms it always helps. I tend to quote 2-400% increase in site traffic. Always benchmark and review completed projects, it is a good reinforcer of your own ability.

#11 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

Glyn, allow me to disagree with you about black/white gradient and changing text color:
http://www.ironicsans.com/owmyeyes/

I think SEO companies call things complex, when they expect to be paid more.

I don't know why someone would call some SEO solution as "complex". A job is a job, it's only complex, when you don't know how to do it.

I'd simply list what is required and let my potential hires decide for themselves, whether that's easy or not. Without a clear example, the answer to "What's a complex SEO solution?" is "It depends".

Then again, we could indeed put directory submission and other repetitive work as simple, but there's space to implement savvy veteran moves in every tactic (even in meta description writing).

Edited by A.N.Onym, 24 August 2009 - 07:51 AM.

#12 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2568 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

Now now A.N.Onym, I'm not going to get lured into a heated debate based on a humourous comment I made!

#13 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

Well, clearly I don't get BH or resume humor. Ignore me.

#14 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2568 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:34 AM

Please tell me a funny Russian joke.

#15 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

As it happens, I can't remember a vividly Russian joke.

Ok, here's one from a job board.

The boss walks into the office and says:
- From now on, we'll be working on the following plan:
+ on Monday, we'll be resting from the weekend
+ on Tuesday, we'll be preparing ourselves to hardships of work
+ on Wednesday, we'll be working hard
+ on Tuesday, we'll be resting from the Wednesday effort
+ on Friday, we'll be preparing ourselves to rest
+ on Saturday and Sunday, we'll be resting

An employee pipes in:
- What, we'll now be working on Wednesdays?

Edited by A.N.Onym, 25 August 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#16 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:47 AM

Lol.
I have to some real work today, we have taken my son out of nursery to save money, and he is being potty trained.

#17 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

I think SEO companies call things complex, when they expect to be paid more.

I don't know why someone would call some SEO solution as "complex". A job is a job, it's only complex, when you don't know how to do it.

Recommendation #1: assign 2 people for 8-16 man hours to change the link structure of a site (40 pages) so that the main product page bubbles up over the contact & about pages; support that main product page by getting a couple of solid links pointing to it; find a couple of links for the pages supporting the main product page.

Recommendation #2: assign 10 people for 1 year to change the link structure of a site (2 million pages) so that the 15 thousand main product pages bubble up and...

#1: doable

#2: either go home and enjoy your shoes or come up with another, realistic, solution; that's complex.

So a part of "complex SEO" is simply scale.

Another part often is "forget about it...".

Example #1: let's add [term] to the <h1> headings so.... "forget it; the CMS can pull in that term but only for the footer... not the header" (the more expensive the CMS solution, the more likely you're to hear these kind of "say what?!" statements)

Example #2: the term [keyword] doesn't appear on the site at all. How about we add content that ... "forget it; you're not allowed to change any of the on-page content"

Of course some complex solutions are simple. Sometimes a Mercedes of a CMS need some smart JS + CSS in front to prevent SE's from doing one thing and customers from attempting another.

But no, on the whole, the "complex" modifier influences pricing but pricing shouldn't cause the "complex" modifier to be introduced :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users