• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4607 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

For those of you who take on other people's sites or, heaven forbid, who have made a travesty of your own, Stoney deGeyter decries Putting SEO Frosting on a Website Dung Pile. Yes, the man has a way with titles. :)

We've run across this issue several times over the years and it boggles my mind how often the site owners don't want to do what is necessary, but instead want to forage ahead with the SEO. It's like putting frosting on a dung pile. You may be able to "SEO" the site, but if the underlying structure isn't sound, you're just wasting good money on a pile of crap.

So nice to read an accomplished SEO point out that SEO is not the alpha omega of webdev.

#2 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Very eloquent.

I supposed one could also have the inverse - a great site with Dung Flavored SEO Frosting. Same end results. :)

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5412 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

This is why most websites only make money for the designer and the hosting provider.

#4 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

I guess in this age of political correctness and concern for our fellow creatures, it would not have been appropriate (nor as striking) to talk about putting lipstick on the face of a pig.

An excellent message and very well presented. I hope there are lots of SMBs taking note of that. Unfortunately there are so many website dung heaps.

#5 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

I think that was one of Stoney's better recent articles.

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4607 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

I have become increasingly disillusioned with Sphinn. Stoney's article was posted there a couple of days ago and to now has garnered a pitiful 7-sphinns.

Not only has the quality of submissions plummeted but equally the quality of the participants. The more experienced members are increasingly conspicuous by their absence unless helping each other out. And the noobies really really do not get it. So sad.

#7 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

I heartily agree, iamlost, re Sphinn particularly on a Friday. The article has been up now for 3 days so it has no possibility of going hot. I voted and commented but it will presumably get lost within that huge pile of posts that languished.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users