Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

There Is No Such Thing As A 'dumb' Question.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:41 AM

OK. For some reason, probably something to do with my mispent youth, I cannot work out how to reply with quote.

Here is what I see. After answering this question and making me look a fool, you may want to consider changing the caption from "There is no such thing as a 'dumb' question." to "There is such thing as a 'dumb' question, we have Jon here."

Posted Image

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:25 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have no idea how to either, and I don't see no stinkin' reply button either. I think maybe we have blind spots, jonbey. :)

#3 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:28 AM

I answered in the other thread. Hope I got it right.

#4 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Actually, Donna and Jon need to use an orange theme to see an individual reply button at the bottom-right corner of each post.

In the Blue skins, such button isn't present (or is invisible).

On a slightly different note, you can start the quote with
[quote=Donna]

to quote Donna.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 24 August 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#5 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

Ok, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm using Cre8 (Import), an orange theme, but it does not have the buttons. If I use Cre8 Traditional (Import) I do get the buttons, but the theme itself looks terrible on my screen. So I'll stick with Cre8 (Import) and just know that I'm missing out on some functionality by making the choice.

If anyone is unsure how to change the theme, look at the bottom of the screen, just above the Meet our Moderators: list. There's a dropdown box. Choose one of those skins.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

If anyone is unsure how to change the theme, look at the bottom of the screen, just above the Meet our Moderators: list. There's a dropdown box. Choose one of those skins.

Ooooooh! I had never spotted that little drop down box before!
Now on "traditional".

#7 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

I've found that Cre8 Blues Traditional (Import) is the best 'compromise' for me.

Edited by Wit, 24 August 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

I've found that Cre8 Blues Traditional (Import) is the best 'compromise' for me.

Yep, that is the one I have chosen. The the buttons look a bit clunky on the other one.

#9 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

you may want to consider changing the caption from "There is no such thing as a 'dumb' question." to "There is such thing as a 'dumb' question, we have Jon here."

You're very funny, Jon!! :)

But I'm sure the motto will stay as-is.

Risa

#10 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

Aha, I'm guessing "Liquid" themes don't have the buttons, because they are supposed to be used on mobile devices (including 7-9" netbooks).

How much time such a button would save me, if I liked the narrow theme :)

#11 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

Aha, I'm guessing "Liquid" themes don't have the buttons, because they are supposed to be used on mobile devices (including 7-9" netbooks).

Maybe next time around they should be labeled by general screen size and color - wide screen blues, fluid full service, narrow screen full service, narrow screen minimalist, mobile minimum, etc.

#12 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2062 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:52 PM

Way back when, even before Cre8 moved from phpBB to Invision, it was decided (on high, so to speak) that there was too much abuse of the automated quote button. People would click the Quote/Reply button, often inadvertently, and then add a quick, "Yea, me too," to a 800 word quotation. It wasted server resources and made page loads more onerous for everyone.

The phpBB design we moved from three or four years ago didn't have a Quote/Reply button. The new Invision designs weren't supposed to have one either.

That it was not removed from the "Traditional" skins is my fault. The Traditional design is the closest to the original Invision skin that came with the software, with very few changes beyond the colors. Apparently too few? :)

#13 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:31 AM

Ah, yes, I remember the quoting battles with little unique commentary. Judging by my experience it was a worthy change. However, not having a button to use diligently (I rarely post, when I simply want to "I agree") is quite inconvenient (I don't use a full reply option and rely on quick reply for quotes).

Maybe you'd find the time and resources to enable the quote button for people with 1000+ posts or with a mod status? Or those were the mods that abused the quote button?

Of course, one can select the quoted text and press the "Add selected Text as Quote" button under the quick reply field. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work for me (dunno why).

#14 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:31 AM

I can understand why it was removed, as I have seen a lot of this "I agree" attitude, and it is so annoying to read, and totally daft. But handy to be able to quote a bit of what someone said so that everyone else knows what you are talking about.

Maybe quotes could be limited in characters. Or by default left blank, so that you paste in the bit you want, rather than delete out the bit you do not want. Or, have the traditional themes only available to people who have proved themselves not to be fluff posters. Or just leave it as it is, as it takes some people YEARS to think to ask how it is done!

#15 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:12 AM

As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

#16 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

Or just leave it as it is, as it takes some people YEARS to think to ask how it is done!

Exactly. </no kidding>

#17 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6233 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

Yep. I remember when that quote button went bye bye. It was quite some time ago.

I have a cool Firefox tool that I use ALL the time. It's quite handy for anyone who posts in forums and blogs or whatever. It's called BBCode Xtra. (I used it just now to put this link in... I copied it, right clicked on my selected text and did "BBCode->Clipbooard->Make Selected Text a URL") It contains all the BBCode formatting (including pasting quotes - with names if you enter it in the prompt box) and all the other formatting things.

It also has htmlXtra and xhtmlXtra so you can do the same thing in a blog post, or a blog comment box that allows one of these kinds of formatting - and is really handy in many "quick reply" style boxes where you don't have the full array of buttons for formatting.

If you do lots of forum posts or anything along those lines - I recommend this tool highly (it's great for quick fix edits in your web site CMS too since your buttons are a right click away from where your cursor already is).

G.

#18 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

Stock, I remember you posting about bbcode extra. Learning from that plugin was how I learned bbcode. :)

#19 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

Unfortunately, I am an Opera fun.

Oh well, I am used to writing raw HTML code, BBcode isn't harder than that :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users