25 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13677 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Greetings Cre8tive Family!

We are on a new server, with a new host. Our generous, silent benefactor has hosted these forums for free, for years. The time had come when that server (a workhouse goddess) needed to retire from bearing this beast of data and we went in search of a new home, which we now paying for as well. (Your kind donations help with that!)

The DNS propogation ran all last night. I received faint few notices of any trouble. We lost perhaps 1, maybe 2 posts in our time line during the switch over, which was incredible luck.

Our new host is a company I, and another moderator here, use for all our sites. They are incredibly dependable and have the best customer service I've ever dealt with (instant help, no matter the time of day.)

We're in great hands.

A group of moderators handled the move. It was a team effort! Joe Dolson was my hero yesterday :) Dazzlin Donna is SO SMART! She'd say something "programmer-like" and my performance engineer husband, Eric, would be commenting nearby with "yep, yep, she's right" and "yes, that what I just told you Kim!", LOL

Pierre's expertise and humor - I'm still giggling. Ron, you're really an angel in disguise. Michael, all the way in Australia, was in there helping. And then the rest of the gang were on hand, cheering, praying, dancing, offering suggestions and otherwise keeping me sane - always a good thing :haha:

Should anything appear to be odd to you, by all means let us know here. We were literally down to the wire and there was NO time for staging/dev/testing. It's a true testament to the skill and expertise of the folks who volunteer to keep these forums going that it all worked out as well as it did.

Everyone.

Take a bow!

:nanacomputer:

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:09 AM

Good news! I was on late last night and saw it was all offline. All appears to be running smoothly from this side of the pond.

#3 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

And let's not forget Joe, who came to the rescue in the hours before a previous engagement. :)

:disco2:

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13677 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

He was my first mention! He had it a bit different. Left to himself, he rock and rolled with it. When it was DD and Pierre leading me, there was teaching and hand holding the Kimmy :cower:

#5 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

My kudos to those of you involved. I've had to move a large forum before and it was NOT an easy feat - ended up deleting large parts just to make things easier.

Everything seems fine this end (nice and fast too!)

#6 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

LOL -- I must have skimmed right by him.

Oh well, he gets an extra few infinite bananas --> :) :D :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana:

#7 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6351 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Is this the same new server we were looking at getting when I left before? Or is this the new new server? If it's the same new server, then I can say with 100% certainty that that old server had better have been taken out for cocktails before being totally retired. It most assuredly earned it. lol

Edited by Grumpus, 28 August 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13677 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

Stock,

You likely recall Al, my friend who hosted us for our first years as our private benefactor who never asked us for $$. We left him when his server, as you know, could no longer handle the load and had another generous person host us, who I keep secret, but he is someone you know :) His server held us well for many more years until she could bear us no more.

So, we now reside at ICDsoft, on 2 servers. No dedicated servers anymore, but they can handle our DB and growth and as many can see, are faster. No more freebies but folks have been kind and donated $$ here and there, so we can handle the costs. I am a reseller for them anyway, so I got us a sweet discount!

I will respond to your orig post and queries as well. :D

#9 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6351 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

Sweet. Yep. I remember Alan - and at the time I left - we were still on there and searching for a new place to call home - which is why I wondered if it was the same search or a second growth spurt. Now I know.

I got here just in time to have to get you a housewarming gift... will have to see what I have in my bag-o-tricks. :)

#10 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

Thank you "silent benefactor" for your generosity in providing a server for all these years.

Hi Stock, good to see you again. Where have you been hiding?

#11 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3322 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

Thanks much to all who made this happen and the silent benefactor. :)

#12 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13677 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

I got here just in time

Heh Weird karma there...but I have to say, everytime I see "Grumpus" show up, I'm thrilled! You are a most brilliant and talented guy and I wish for everyone in the Community to get to know you.

#13 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Ironically, I haven't yet been able to get on the forums since the move. As of yet, the DNS doesn't appear to have propagated for me...I'm on a proxy server at the moment so that I can actually get to the new server.

I could adjust my hosts file, of course...but I really prefer to know when the DNS has actually changed! Unfortunately, it's not there for me, yet...

At any rate, I wanted you to know that the DNS is not, in fact, 100% yet. I'm not sure what the hang up is, but I've encountered a few obscure oddities...

At any rate, thanks for the accolades! I just did the initial grunt work - moving and upgrading the database. Mostly, it was a lot of waiting while very large files transferred. And transferred. And transferred.

And so on.

Best,
Joe

#14 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Joe, DNS hasn't propogated for me yet either. I'm getting here via my edited hosts file, but every now and then, I revert back to the previous hosts file, and can see that DNS still hasn't propogated. Was going to give it 72 hours before sounding an alarm though. But yeah, another day, and I think it'll be an issue that needs to be investigated.

#15 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13677 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

What would cause this, does anyone know?

#16 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6351 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

The DNS is most likely cached on the ISP host. Some hosts have very long cache times (like 48 hours) which is why they say it can take 48 hours to propagate a new domain. If you hit the domain (or anyone else hit it on your ISP) recently - then the switch happens - you are going to get that cached version until the ISP re-tags it and gets the updated data.

That said...

The clock should be up (or at least very close to it) by now. Even the slowest updating ISP should theoretically have it by now. Maybe they have something in there where it uses the cached one for 24 hours (or 12 hours or whatever) since the last "hit" on it - rather than the first hit? And because you keep trying it every few hours... it's resetting the clock? Doesn't make sense to me that they would do that, but if I was Doctor House and I looked at the symptoms, that'd be one of the diseases I'd consider doing a biopsy for.

Who is your ISP? (if you don't want to say out loud - that's cool - just curious as to whether I can find something about it - an issue like that is usually something that pops up in forums if it is an issue had by others - and there is often a solution posted as well).

G.

Edited by Grumpus, 30 August 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#17 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

AT&T DSL for me. I'm assuming it'll be fine tomorrow. We'll see...

#18 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6351 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hmm. I'm pretty sure that's what I have, too. (Was SBC, then Yahoo, then ATT Yahoo. Now whatever else it might be lol) Granted - DNS servers are regional - so we wouldn't likely be on the same array. It should, theoretically, have the same rules though... maybe.

Very strange stuff. But yeah - 72 hours is probably a good time before we start really looking overly hard at the situation.

#19 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3400 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

I've seen DNS being cached for a week. Yes, I'm looking at you silly Dreamhost.

What's our time to live (TTL) setting in the DNS? That's an *advisory* number telling DNS servers to check after that period of time has elapsed for DNS changes. Being advisory, it means a lot to most well-behaved DNS setups, and jack to those who think they know better.

Pierre

#20 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

DNS has propogated for me now. :)

#21 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Still not propagated for me. And although it's certainly possible that my ISP is caching this, it seems unlikely -- after all, I deal with DNS propagation for other sites at least once a month, and this is definitely the first time it's taken more than 48 hours.

This is now the 4th day, which just seems unusual...

Any how, proxies work.

#22 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3400 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Joe,

Have you closed your browser since then? Browsers are notorious cachers too, especially Chrome. Heck, Chrome caches 301 redirects too.

P

#23 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm here! Finally.

I haven't closed my browser, no -- but I have (had) tried multiple other browsers, none of which had been used to visit Cre8asite at any time recently.

But it's all in the past now, so that's all a moot point.

:(

#24 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6351 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

:nanaparty: :band: :bounce: :kicking: :cheerleader: :fireworks: :party: :emo6: :nanajump: :cooldudenana: :nanashades: :jugglenana: :pigtailnana: :taconana: :nanadance: :pianonana: :nanawhip: :supernana: :nanadevil: :nanacomputer:

#25 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13677 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

Welcome Home!

(I see Stock found our bananas!)

:nanaparty:

:thumbs:

#26 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

In fact, Stock found our stock of bananas.

[Oh! Hurt! But I couldn't resist.]

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users