• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have run into a problem with a relatively simple website template for a charity website in Internet Explorer version 6. Since Microsoft has now extended the life of IE6 by 5 more years and perhaps 10% - 20% of visitors may be using that, it is something that needs correction. It looks fine in FF, Chrome and later versions of IE, I believe.

The Home Page is at
http://www.vtea.ca/test/

The problem I am told by others is that the menu buttons in the left hand sidebar are not evenly spaced.

Also there is text under the image on the right, which shows only the last two words. It should read:
Empowering special children with special needs to be their best

Any explanations and solutions will be most appreciated.

<update>I am told there are problems in IE 7 as well, although it looks fine in IE8. That means possibly half of all visitors may have problems.

Edited by bwelford, 16 September 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

One old trick you might want to try is to use an image background and overlay the link anchor text on that.

ON EDIT: I suspect it's the fractional/decimal font size specifications (.95 em, etc.).

Edited by Michael_Martinez, 17 September 2009 - 04:32 PM.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Problem solved. It was just a question of font-sizes, paddings, etc.

One thing I found that was new to me is NetRender. It allows you to check how a website looks in any of the IE's. Very fast and very useful.

#4 SeoKungFu

SeoKungFu

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

Great thanks for the NetRender, I've been using standalone installation of "Multiple IEs" for the same purpose, now that's way more convenient !

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

I have Linux installed on an old pc with XP / IE6 in a virtual box. Sounds clever, but is really simple to set up (I am probably the least techy of everyone here!).

#6 SeoKungFu

SeoKungFu

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Yes, jonbey it's not a big deal to run a virtual box bit it eats resources alot... And that NetRender seems to work just fine - judging from the fact that the site I'm having certain IE versions issues are broken in the very same way :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users