• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13471 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

Today it was announced at SMX East that Canonical Tag 2.0: Google To Add Cross Domain Support

Many site owners have wanted the recently introduced canonical tag to work across domains. Now their wishes will come true. Google announced cross-domain support will come by the end of the year.

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2491 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Sorry Kim, I'm going to sleep on this.

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

Supposedly, the whole reason version 1.0 was not cross-domain, was to prevent devious folks from hijacking authority domains by falsely claiming their body-part-enhancers.com site was the canonical url for google.com or some such thing.

So, are we to assume that version 2.0 has built-in fraud/hijack security?

Wanna take bets on how long it takes someone to crack that?

#4 Guest_rustybrick_*

Guest_rustybrick_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

I assume both sites need to be in your verified lists of sites in Webmaster Tools to work. Hack that, you have bigger problems (remove site/url feature).

#5 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

I suspect that the spammers who have been lazy about cleaning up meta tags will now pay closer attention to the HEAD section of the pages they scrape. Whether this latest announcement changes anything, who knows?

Anyone else notice funky behavior at Google today? I wonder if Caffeine has gone live or is in the process of going live. Their recent UI update seems to be tied into Caffeine's "faster turbocharged" crawling and indexing capabilities.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users