• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2594 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

I saw a thread on WMW that I thought would be worthy of some mention here about the latest releases of Firefox.

I have to say I agree and think that in the last couple of updates something went wrong with Firefox. It's really starting to use up a lot of memory resources. I've seen it peak at up to 350mb of memory usage with only a few number of tabs open and limited requests regarding content.

There's no way I will switch to Chrome because Google already has enough without browsers too!

But I am gonna switch to Opera until Firefox gets mended, or just use it when I need to use some of the fantastic plugins that are only available to the Firefox browser.

Glyn

#2 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:05 AM

Yes, sadly Firefox has gone the way every single other piece of software has gone. Hopefully the next version, supposedly this pile of awesome instead of pile of sh**, will reverse this trend.

#3 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:40 AM

You can also install an old version of FF that works fine.

:paddedcell: (2.0.0.20)

#4 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

I think I will install an old version of FF. I cannot use Netvibes with the new FF, and many sites just freeze. I've noticed other things messed up, too, which I think is FF's fault.

#5 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9021 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

It's always useful to check whether things can be improved and this certainly made me realize that I've stayed with FF as my default browser too long despite the aggravations. So Google Chrome is now as of this moment my default with FF easily opened if I'm into heavy-duty browsing.

#6 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

I'm not sure I really want to know - but I have no clue what C*** stands for. Is it a European curse word?

#7 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

I'm quite sure it was "cr@p", nothing ickier than that.

#8 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

I wonder if it's Firefox or all the plug-ins people tend to install.

I mostly use Chrome but keep 3-4 browsers installed because I have to check sites with a variety of browsers.

In my opinion, they all pretty much suck in different ways.

#9 goodnewscowboy

goodnewscowboy

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Not sure if this will help y'all or not, but this siteclaims to speed up firefox by compressing the database (I think that's the deal).

I installed it myself, but I can't speak for it's efficacy. Opera is my default browser and I only dip into Firefox when I need the plug in's for work.

edit: The link should have been http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

Sorry. It was a little deeper in the site.

Edited by goodnewscowboy, 13 August 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#10 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

Um, goodnewscowboy, is that meant to just be a joke? I ask because that link leads to an Uninstall program. So, yeah, I guess uninstalling Firefox would prevent it being slow - sort of. Or am I missing something?

#11 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:07 AM

What extensions are you running? Although I do agree FF seems to be getting worse not better when it comes to memory management, if you're running a bunch of chunky add ons you will notice increased memory usage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users