• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

Despite my enthusiasm in another thread in switching from Firefox to Google Chrome, I have a major problem that almost causes me to switch back. I did mention it in the other thread, but I realize this is almost a show stopper.

Other browsers seem excellent now in opening PDF files when these come up as links. Google Chrome is worse than abysmal. Once I click on this in Google, I can go and open almost any other browser using the same link and see the PDF. Then I come back to Chrome and the PDF may or may not be open yet.

Is this only me? Are there some instructions I should be reading to correct this. I would be most appreciative of any help on this.

#2 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

On the laptop I have Chrome and Adobe set to download the PDF.

On the desktop it opens in the browser. It does so at about the same speed as usual.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Standard.

If you're using something else, like FoxIt, you could do a test on a virtual PC: install Virtual PC 2007 (free), install the XP disk image for it (free) and you have a place to test and verify things w/o messing with your main machine.

Afterthought afterthoughtOh, and changing the setting from open in browser to save -- and then clicking the button -- might be a workaround; fast

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

Chrome normally handles PDF files very well. I've noticed that only since the last update has it sort of "hung" on PDF files for some reason. I find that right-clicking on a PDF link and selecting "Download this link" still works fine, although that is a bit tedious. I hope they fix the problem in the next update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users