• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

I don't want site links, so in webmaster tools, if you block about 4 or more they just remove them all.
All of sudden I see sitelinks again. Can you no longer get rid of sitelinks altogether?

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

why don't you want them? They only appear when someone searches for your site.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Google has been acting flaky this week. I see old data, reduced page listings, and other indications of a possible rollback in the SERPs. It looks to me like they are recrawling/rebuilding the index or something. Then again, it could be nothing.

Would be nice if JohnMu dropped by to clarify what appears to be happening.

#4 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:22 AM

I think they are having a technical hitch - they have releases the new Keywords user interface, and someone else is having the same sort of problems as you Micheal

http://googlewebmast...words-user.html

If you scroll down to the comments you'll see what I mean

#5 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Michael,
thanks, I reported I dropped from #1 to page 4 a few weeks ago. That has stablizid a bit.

I hate people asking why I don't want site links, just trust me in this instance they are not wanted/needed.

That said. Why are they there? The text in webmasters tools used to say explicity that if you block over 4 or so, then they are all blocked. Now I don't see that text. Are they forced to show now?

And how long is wait for my block to take effect?

#6 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

Pretty sure no one here is going to have the answer to those questions, kevs. For one thing, you might be the only person in the world who doesn't want them, so none of us has any experience in trying to get rid of them. You'd have a better chance of getting an answer on the google webmaster help group. At least there, a google rep might know.

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

if you want to block specific pages, or all but the index, surely the robots.txt can help with that?

#8 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

Dazz, thanks, where is that group? I'll sign up.

#9 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

http://www.google.co...ebmasters?hl=en

#10 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

THANKS!

#11 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

Dazz,
posted there, but reminded me that no one posts there. It's a dead forum. Unlike this one which is so alive and thriving.

#12 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

I just took a look, and it seems that the forum (assuming you mean the webmasters one linked above) is a lot busier than here. Looks a good forum actually..... never looked before..... bye.

#13 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

Jon, I"ve posted on Google forums three times and never gotten a response ever.http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=379f75ab0f0a9892&hl=en

#14 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

If you block Sitelinks so that you have less than four left, we will generally not show them at all. However, that process can take 1-2 weeks in the worst case, so I'm guessing that you're somewhere in between there. At the moment there's no general setting to "block all sitelinks" (like a meta-tag or something), they're generated algorithmically, based on the site & query.

It would help to know your site's URL so that I could take a look, I'll check out your thread in the other forum :D

Cheers
John

PS The keywords data in Webmaster Tools is just for reporting - not having them visible does not mean that we're not indexing your site anymore, it might just mean that something along the line up to the visible report got stuck for your site. If you don't see anything there, chances are that it's just a matter of time until it fills up.

#15 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

Oh, John, I just responded in the Google forum to you. Real pleased you answered there. You work for Google, it states it on Google Forum but not this one.
Anyway, I was saying if you send me an email, I'll send my real name, which is my website also.

Now you just stated something here, that I think I used to see stated in the webmaster sitelinks area -- that if you have less than four sitelinks, that none with show -- which is what I like.
I'm still puzzled why I went from 0 site link for a year, to suddenly 8.
So I let three be unblockd and was going to build up more to the ones I like.
But if you say that keeping under 4 eliminates all of them, then I'll just block them all like I used to.

Thanks!

#16 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

Ok, I see it just came up so happy:

We display sitelinks only if a site has 3 or more unblocked sitelinks. If you'd like sitelinks to appear on your site, please make sure that at least 3 sitelinks are unblocked.

Still, curious why they came back -- even though I'm visiting the page everythree months?
Wish there was a way to tell Google to just permanently block them.

IN a nutshell, I have pages that are still active for my "lowend" clients, that I don't want emphasizes when my "highend' client Google me.

#17 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

Ah, I think I understand why you want to hide some. Have you considered building a new site just for low (or high) end clients. If you 301 the pages over you will not lose serps. Then each set of clients should remain seperate.

#18 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Jon, also have newer subsites, but they are flash, and they are newer, so don't get the SEO of older established html site.

#19 notepage

notepage

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

Not quite understanding why you would not want site links. It allows you to gain more exposure and deep links to important info.

#20 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Funny, as yesterday I had a similar issue. OK, not sitelinks. But one sud directory on a domain I use for testing client sites managed to get listed. Had to ask for it to be removed (after robots update). So removing some sitelinks is sensible, although I am still not sure what sort of site Kev's is running to want to remove them all! I am thinking that it could be something saucy.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users