• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bjenkins24

bjenkins24

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'm having SERIOUS problems with my website compatibility with IE 6/7. In 6 it seems to be totally unusable and in 7 it won't center and there's a little box to the right that doesn't show up correctly.

I already put in auto-margins and I thought with the centering issue if I put text-align: center; it would work, but it doesn't.

I don't know where to go from here and I'm losing serious business. Please help! I don't know if the forum allows links so I won't link to the site. But its ocpianoteachers and then .com. Thanks for any help!

#2 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Is IE8 working? You don't mention it, but I'm wondering whether this is an IE issue in general, or more specifically with IE6 and 7 -

"Totally unusable" is too broad a problem to solve without seeing the site -- can you point us at your site?

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Odd...it's looking good in IE 8 and Firefox.

http://www.ocpianoteachers.com/

#4 bjenkins24

bjenkins24

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Yeah sorry, IE8 is working fine. It's just 7/6. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I first saw it wasn't working at a co-workers house who had ie 7 then I tried it on another computer with the same problem. So I wondered if it had a problem with earlier browsers and had a screenshot taken with 6 and it's even worse. The centering is the smallest issue. I don't know how to explain it unless you see an example in 7/6.

Sorry for being vague, I don't know how to explain exactly what's going on. I don't have much time to reply right now. I'll think it through and try to find a better way to explain what exactly is going on.

Thanks in advance!

#5 bjenkins24

bjenkins24

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:04 AM

I've been working on it for a few hours. Everything is working fine except the centering issue. It is centered in IE8 and Firefox, but refuses to center in IE 6/7. I wanted to get it to work in the CSS, but failed miserably. Just to get it to work for now I used the outdated <center> tag, but that didn't even work.

It's basically written like this

<div class="containingblock">
<div class="content">
Content
</div></div>

I have margin-right: auto; and margin-left: auto; set for the containingblock class. I also read that the problem in older versions of IE make a text-align:center; necessary for the containingblock, then a text-align:left; required for the content. I have all of those in place. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

The containing block is position: absolute; but changing that didn't seem to help either.

I figured at the very least a <center> tag would work. But nothing is happening, please help!

The reworked site is at http://www.ocpianoteachers.com

Edited by bjenkins24, 25 February 2010 - 02:28 AM.

#6 bjenkins24

bjenkins24

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:35 AM

I figured it out. It was because it was absolutely positioned. I took most of that out and it now works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users