8 replies to this topic

#1 desertofwater751

desertofwater751

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Hi
It is my first post on the forum. I would like to get some help on the topic shown that is bounce rate.
My site is having a bounce rate of 85% and thats too much.
I would like it to bring down to 60%. Can you guys help me out??
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 fairclb

fairclb

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

Welcome dester... its hard to determine whats causing this without seeing your site. What is the URL?

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5178 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

It is also hard to understand without knowing where the traffic is coming from. Are you looking at Google Analytics or some other traffic analysis program?

#4 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Google Analytics is notorious for clipping user activity, so take their bounce rates with a grain of salt if that is where you get your data from.

But you really need to determine where the reported bouncing happens and why. If people are landing on a page with advertising and clicking on the ads, those are conversions you would want (one should think).

You do need to provide more information to get better help.

Edited by Michael_Martinez, 12 March 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

Mine dropped a fair amount when I added a list of similar posts below each article.

#6 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:36 AM

If you have enough traffic to get statistically relevant results, compare pages with the highest and lowest exit rates. Look at keywords used by search traffic - do they match what is available on the destination page?

Bounce rates get higher for many reasons. Visitors from Search may leave if they don't see what they hoped to find. This could mean missing content, a site design that doesn't have the quality of an expected destination, really bad usability, unprofessional spelling, etc.

What sort of a site is it? The home page bounce rates of regularly read blogs may be higher, if a lot of return viewers just check for the latest post.

#7 fairclb

fairclb

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

Another reason could be the page load times. We have a real estate site, after a redesign we found that page views per person went from a median of 20+ to less than 4. After doing some benchmarking we found that the average search had less parameters than we originally benchmarked with, causing the search to take anywhere from 8-20 seconds. We spent a lot of time optimizing the database and found that listings that didn't have longitude/latitude entered would dramatically increase the search load times. We removed them from the map results that is displayed with the search and cut the page load times to between 3 and 5 seconds. Our median page views per visitor went up to over 30.

Load times can cause a lot of frustration for your visitors and can give the perception of being less usable.

#8 Jonashastings

Jonashastings

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

I could check it for you, what is your URL? I would suggest that you check your article in the landing page and see if its useful or attractive enough. This could be one of the many reason to point out too.

#9 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

Locking thread...."desert" never returned. I suspect this was a sig link drop by them.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users