• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

This morning I looked through visitor browser stats from my sites, and thought I'd share. Here are a few observations.

On my sites, mobile users are growing faster than any other group. They're only 2-3% overall, but the upward trend has been steady. I've seen a 40% increase since January, and it's not just a few frequent flyers.
Top three mobiles: iPhone, iPod, Blackberry, with Android coming in at a close 4th.

Top three traffic sources for mobiles: Search, direct traffic, feed subscribers. 2/3 of all mobiles come in from Search. Overall, for these sites the top three sources are Stumble, Search, and direct traffic, with feeds coming in a close fourth. If I set aside Stumble, 2/3 of overall traffic is also from Search - about the same as Mobiles.

My mobile search terms get a little thin to be statistically relevant, but there is enough there for me to say that a good chunk of my mobile users aren't coming in from the same Search terms as the rest of my visitors. This is more noticeable in sites that tend to have longer keyword phrases. There are fewer sentence-long mobile searches, and they tend not to look past the top 5-7 results -- big screen users sometimes come in from terms past page 1. Long-tail terms still work with mobiles: on one site, the average keyphrase length for my top mobile terms is 7 words. Mobile users aren't necessarily more techie - so far, only a very few more mobiles use "keyphrase" instead of [keyphrase], I don't see the fancy searches like [site:domain.com keyword], and they use just as many stop words (if, and, or, etc.)

This is only for my sites - yours may be different.

Compared to overall traffic, my mobile Search visitors are about twice as likely to be return visitors. This plus the steady increase has my attention.

Other than mobiles increasing and the last of the 800x600 crowd edging down to 1%, other screen resolutions were pretty flat. The top resolutions overall are 1280x800, 1024x768 and 1440x900, putting "above the fold" at about 700, not far from where it was when 800x600 was king.

What are you seeing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users