• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4427 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Or not so much now, but for a long time?

I set up a test WPMU a while ago, with the main blog plus 2 test MU blogs. The yoga one gets some spam so it is visible. But it has been live for an age (using WordPress MU 2.8.4) in fact the first default post is dated 2009/05/02. There are 17 pages listed in Google too under the site command. So it is there. But nothing bad has happened to it. That seems to me to be a pretty good indication that automated hacking does not work on Wordpress. Maybe a specific attack on a site could cause problems?

#2 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

Yes and no? Wordpress itself has had vulnerabilities. Individual plugins can have vulnerabilities. Shared hosting is only as safe as the host.

Do a search for [wordpress blog hacked 2010]. Right now I see 23,500,000 results.

A search for ["wordpress blog" NEAR hacked, 2010] shows 344,000 results.

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

Depends on what you mean by "robust". If you're only talking about holding up well against hacks, then, no, not necessarily. My best bud cleans hacked WordPress blogs for a living, and he's ALWAYS busy. That said, keeping a WP blog updated with the latest version always helps.

Now, granted, many of the more recent hacks have come from insecure hosting platforms but still - WordPress is a popular target, and hackers will always be finding ways to get in. That doesn't necessarily mean WP is any less secure than any other platform, but its sheer popularity makes it a huge target - and that means hacks will happen.

Stay vigilant. Stay up to date. Run all the security things you already know about and you'll be way ahead of the game. That's very likely why you have not seen any problems. You do all the little things that help guard against problems.

#4 JVRudnick

JVRudnick

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

not a problem on our 7 client blogs nor for us either...ie at canuckseo.com....our own WP.3 blog....

so, "robust"...yeah I think so....however as php coding is within our skillset, we "finetune" all the headers/footers for SEO ourownselves....

works. plain and simple....

;-)

Jim

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2594 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

Make sure you know who's behind the plugins, it's would be too easy to write a useful plugin and leech a whole load of sensitive data.

Given the choice, I choose Wordpress over just about everything, Joomla comes in a close second for bigger sites. As for security I've seen bespoke CMS's with holes in it like swiss cheese, and did you know that like 90% of the hacks to WP come from people installing it using the standard table names and really easy passwords. Or using a plugin that is not safe.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4427 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

Makes sense. Another thing, I use the WP Firewall and most of the attacks seem to be targeting Joomla CMS not Wordpress.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2594 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

Jon - I think that's because there is so much trust in the plugins that they are getting in there instead.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users