• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jean_Manco

Jean_Manco

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1035 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:12 AM

As of today Google.com has rolled out the new look that it has been testing for some time on random users.

The 'Directory' tab has been replaced by a link to Froogle. Also the links to its directory no longer appear in the SERPs. Nor do the listing descriptions from its directory.

What will the effect be on the Open Directory? I expect mixed reactions from editors, including relief. The fact that the most popular search engine on the planet used the descriptions we wrote might be a matter for pride, but it also exposed us to pressure.

There were many misunderstandings of the relationship between Google and the ODP. That's why I wrote the article in my signature. Now some of those may be cleared away.

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:06 PM

The structure and categories being formed by the human editors of DMOZ are still valuable in many ways.

I suspect that there might be less stress from people about whether or not they are included within the directory, but I'm not sure that the lessened prominence of the Google Directory will have a negative impact on the ODP.

I thought that this was interesting - a new open source search engine named mozdex is using DMOZ as their seed index to start.

Looking at their donation page, I noticed that they are a short drive away from me. I might have to donate some spare parts to them. :)

#3 Jean_Manco

Jean_Manco

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1035 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:44 PM

The ODP is a popular choice for search engine developers looking for a ready-made collection of URLs to start with.

I saw Mozdex a few days ago. To be honest it doesn't seem to be working too well at this stage, but it is interesting that it's using open-source technology.

#4 cbp

cbp

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:02 AM

Many opinions are that Google have "demoted" the importance of DMOZ by taking the link of the home page.

I think the opposite may be the case. DMOZ (or more precisely, the Google copy of DMOZ) appears to be underpinning the beta version of Google's personalized search --> IMHO, this means that DMOZ is even more important to Google now than what it was in the past.

I guess, ones perspective on this will be influenced about what the future might hold for personalized search.

#5 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

I suspect that personalized search will be pretty big.

I guess we wait and see though.

#6 flicker

flicker

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:30 AM

If CBP's right about Google using the ODP to work out its personalized searches, then this change could be a very good thing for the ODP, as dull-minded spammers may see that the link has vanished from Google's front page and stop pestering us, while savvier webmasters have new incentive to submit their site to the specific correct ODP category for Google-thematic purposes, rather than a wrong one or lots of wrong ones hoping for a special Google PR boost.

#7 webdirectory

webdirectory

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:13 PM

Nutch (open source search engine) is been used in many new search engines.

"Objects Search" also uses nutch and they have Clustering Engine too.

Search industry will change in coming years.

#8 cbp

cbp

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:23 PM

Nutch (open source search engine) is been used in many new search engines.  

I just checked the Nutch search via yahoo.
http://labs.yahoo.com/demo/nutch/

For several keywords that I monitor, they provided the worst set of irrelevant results I have ever seen from any search engine...

(BTW - this is off-topic for this thread)

#9 Jean_Manco

Jean_Manco

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1035 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:54 PM

http://www.mozdex.com/ is using "Nutch open source search engine and archive.org spider technologies." As I said above, it's not brilliant so far.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users