• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

I wonder if we can discuss best practices on how to achieve search results like this one. Is part of the algorithm based on traffic, inbound links and buzz? What can we do to increase the chances of achieving similar results?

Does conversion data increase exposure of pages in this format?

Search Engine Watch
Aug 4, 2010 ... Search Engine Watch is the authoritative guide to search engine marketing (SEM) and search engine optimization (SEO), offering the latest ...
searchenginewatch.com/ - Cached - Similar
Search Engine Optimization
Ratings & Stats
Blog
SEW Forums
SEM Basics
Promotion & Link Building
Analytics & ROI
Subscribe
More results from searchenginewatch.com

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

From my understanding much of it is based on site structure. Of course, authority plays a large part as well, and lots of links to an inner section seems to matter too. So if you've got a good authoritative site, deep backlinks to sections of the site, and navigation that is structured well with those sections, then you may get those site links. But mostly, I think you need to deal with the navigation - Can google easily tell that a section would be a good "shortcut" for the users? Is that section popular enough with users to warrant its own shortcut? Do people often link to that section? Then it's probably a section that Google would like to make a shortcut to, giving its users something useful.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

As far as I know, it's like Donna says: it depends on how your internal linking works (mostly), maybe complemented by external links.

Some of Xenite.Org's sitelinks change around even when I don't do anything so I suspect there is something in the sitelinks algorithm that samples different pages on your site to see if they suit visitors better.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4427 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

Don't forget that you can remove sitelinks too if you are sure that you do not want those highlighted. From my experience sitelinks do not really correlate with traffic, I once had a bunch of links that were very low traffic and some that were just plain silly. But you keep blocking the bad ones and eventually get a good mix.

#5 nuttakorn

nuttakorn

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:09 AM

It is about designing the navigation and IA that you try to focus on the core main pages that Google will crawl more and display to the audience, for some pages that you don't need but it listed in SERPs, you can block via Google Webmaster Tools.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users