• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

If you're tracking the news that Google is releasing changes, you may find a variety of things. It may even depend on if you're logged into a Google account (as I discovered.)

I see a logo of Google with no colors at all while logged into an acct. I also get the new suggestions that are fed the moment I start typing.

This new trick gets a bit crazy when you get to the SERPS and re-search. Try typing in "How to..." and you'll see what Google suggests. It's kinda funny, the results. Are they based on buzz? Popularity? If so, how sad that "How to have a boy?" is the number one suiggestion :)

On my laptop I get this:

g1.png

News: Search Engine Roundtable

What are you seeing where you are?

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

what did you win? (peeking at the gmail tab :naughty: )

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4608 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

Live Blogging The “Google Instant” Press Event & How To Watch Live, courtesy of Danny Sullivan and Search Engine Land.

One thing’s for certain. Out of the blue, Google’s quickly ramped this entire thing up to hype factor 10. Let’s see if it lives up to the mounting expectations. Engage!
Now here’s Marissa Mayer, VP Search Products & User Experience.

Google just passed 1 billion users per week. Funny, I was just asking them about this last week, if they had user numbers you know, since we keep hearing about Facebook’s users. I don’t think Google’s much expressed this. Now it has — boom, we have double Facebook. Not that they’re mentioning that.

Had 100s of improvements in search already. Caffeine, makes index 50% fresher. So they say, sometimes it’s amazing, sometimes, not so much,

Realtime results, to make real time content show up in search when the right context, to help users know what’s going on.

Making improvements to spell corrections, made it much easier to find them as part of auto-complete. You know, Google Suggest.

Rolled out enhancements to questions and answers. Two years ago, they rolled out Google Squared (um, I think that was last year?). Today, enter questions and get answers at the top, like the inventor of the telephone.

Starts in search, a way to bookmark URLs, Which was really a pullback from the SearchWiki product that took criticism and Google finally shutdown, though she’s not mentioning that.

There was also the redesign of Google this year to three columns.
A Fundamental Shift to search. That’s the slide up now, and she saying this is something we’re about to hear.
Google Instant, pulls answers as you type.

She’s demoing on how after just typing letters sfm, she’s got the answer she wanted. “It’s just that fast and that interactive.” results stream to you based on prediction of what you’ve typed so far.

Now showing how you can scroll with arrow keys through suggestions and get the results to change.

“A lot of people think Google Instant is search as you type. But it’s actually search before you type.” Actually predict what you’re likely to type and bring the results in real time.
Google Instant will be available on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE8 on Google in US later today and then to several other countries in coming days. But you have to be signed in to see it.

Which is sending up my alarms, because is this also just part of monitoring more?

#4 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:04 PM

Well I for one like it when Google sticks to what it's good at and makes it better. That's things that are scaleable and do not require any customer service. I'm really impressed by this latest change. I found a number of things I would not have found by adjusting my search terms and watching the changes. On this, I'm a happy camper. :)

#5 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3803 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

Barry (rustybrick) was on TV! National News! Woot! And he looked amazing. ;)

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

TV? Was it CNN or other?

#7 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2042 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Is it just me or has the second search box and the bottom of the screen disappeared?

Also the search suggestions now seem to drop the page content down rather than opening over it. That means browsing on my biggish netbook, I can only see 1 result after the top ads without scrolling the page. On an average size netbook or smaller you'd have a job to see the organic results at all.

#8 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

Here's the segment with Barry (rustybrick) on NBC nightly news:
http://www.msnbc.msn...068673#39068673

Here are some of the official links & blog posts, etc:

http://www.google.com/instant/
http://googleblog.bl...ed-of-type.html
http://googlewebmast...ch-queries.html
http://adwords.googl...p;answer=187309
https://sites.google...com/search2010/

Cheers
John

#9 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

Cool!!! Donna's right! You looked great, Barry! How did they find you/pick you to interview?

#10 Guest_rustybrick_*

Guest_rustybrick_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Risa,

They picked up my predictions post and called me to see if I'd do an interview.

I said, for sure.

2 hours of driving and 20 minutes interview got me 2.20 seconds on TV. :)

It was a great experience.

#11 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:03 AM

lol, great, but funny. I missed you the first time, I blinked!

#12 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Well done, Barry. At least you didn't end up entirely 'on the cutting room floor'.
:applause:

On the main topic, I think this has enormous implications for the way folks will search and of course Google will learn lots from the interaction. I presume long tail searches will be very much reduced in quantity and therefore more of the traffic will be going with shorter keyword phrases. This will presumably impact on the stats that will be shown in the Google Adwords Keyword tools.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users