• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well folks, after a lot of hard work, my new site is up! I'd love any feedback on the site. My two goals are to increase Adsense clicks and also to increase the number of people who ask a paid question.

Thanks!

Ask A Vet Question

#2 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hi Dr. Marie,

WOW - you're site is beautiful!! Congratulations and good luck with it. I hope business takes off and you have to give up your day job.

I have a few design suggestions to try out:

- For your site, I'm not sure I like rounded corners. I would see how the horizontal black nav bar and that green box on the right look with straight angles.

- in the green box, "Ask a Vet A question," I don't think there's enough contrast with the white and green. Maybe outline the white letters in black, or add a drop shadow, or something to make it jump out more.

- that first question on the right, "Is Metacam Safe for Cats?" - there's extra space on top of the box.

- the site looks very Christmas-y. Not sure if it's that way for the holidays, but I think you should try a light gray background instead of the light green. With the black and red, I think it will look very sharp and slick. And outline it in dark gray or black instead of green. Those green arrows might look good as-is if the rest are changed.

- Re: the adsense on the left, it looks so skinny. I think it would maybe look better if it was 25% wider. Also, I'm not crazy about the red and green for the title and URL in the ads.

- Right now, your first adsense ad says, "Ask a Vet Online Now..." and links to another site. That's your competitor. I would block that URL from your ad campaign and any other competitors.

- if you're going to be active on Twitter and Facebook, I'd put those icons on the top in the nav bar.

- I think in the header where it says, "online vet advice by dr. marie" you don't need the period after marie. Also, I'd either center that whole blurb (it aligns left), or move AskAVetQuestion.com up a bit and put that tag line underneath it.

- when I first got to the page and saw on the right, , "DR. MARIE IS ONLINE RIGHT NOW!" the triangles were swirling around in a weird way. I think there must be another way to bring attention to that line.

- you put a lot of good stuff on the bottom like this line, "Quick news: - * Listen for Dr. Marie on 580 CFRA radio in Ottawa on "Ask the Veterinarian" with John Counsell." I think that should be on the top - right under the nav bar.

- on the right where it says, "Veterinarian, Dr. Marie created this site to be able to provide ...." that font is very tiny. I think you should make it as big as the rest.

The site is really really nice. These are just minor picky things.

Good luck!

Risa

#3 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

Great job Doc,

Risa is right. I am not so sure if the button I did for you matches the new site....:(

I'll do another one for you by the end of tomorrow. One that will match your new layout. :)
Just let me know your color preference.

raz

Edited by raz, 28 December 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5525 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

I really like this site. A big improvement over the first version. I am betting that you get more conversions, more links and higher engagement. Nice work!

the site looks very Christmas-y

I agree... maybe some "pet" colors?

the adsense on the left, it looks so skinny

I agree... the 160 wide will not only look better - it will make a LOT more money. (I am willing to bet one month's pay that the 160 wide will earn more)

your first adsense ad says, "Ask a Vet Online Now..." and links to another site. That's your competitor.

lol... I would take a piece of their ad budget. Don't forget... most visitors do not convert... many of them will come back to your site.

if you're going to be active on Twitter and Facebook, I'd put those icons on the top in the nav bar.

I would slap the visitor's face with the BIG BUTTONS... Matt Cutts says that Google considers social media actions when ranking a website.

.... just tossing out a few more ideas....

I would change... "Previously asked questions..." to "Popular questions".... or "Most viewed questions"

Keep up the great work!

Edited by EGOL, 28 December 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#5 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

You guys rock! Thanks for the great feedback!

Raz...I am honored that you would do another button for me! Once I decide if I am changing colors I'll figure out what color I would like. :)

So guys, if the red and green colors are not doing it for you, do you have any suggestions?

How does this page look with the left column bigger and the right smaller? Metacam use in cats. Right now the 120 width adsense is still in there but once I get all my pages changed it will be a 160x600 in there.

I do plan to put FB and Twitter in the header....good idea.

Re my competitor's ads showing up, I agree with EGOL. My adsense revenue is WAY higher when this ad is left in. It's hard to say whether I lose conversions, but I think a lot of people check out Just answer and then hopefully come back to me.

I have to tell you that it took me FOREVER to type in this reply because I had a few paid questions asked tonight. Yay, conversions are up already! I had a little bug in my reply option, so I was going a little squirrely trying to get it fixed while users were on the site!

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5525 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

I have to tell you that it took me FOREVER to type in this reply because I had a few paid questions asked tonight. Yay, conversions are up already!

Time to raise prices already!

#7 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

LOL!!!!

#8 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:52 AM

So guys, if the red and green colors are not doing it for you, do you have any suggestions?

It's just the green that's not doing it for me. I like the red and black. I think change the green to a light gray. The green in the header for AskaVetQuestion.com might be OK if green if the rest are changed. I might see how it looks if the outline was a dark blue, too. I'd change the Adsense colors to something more standard like blue or something more plain.

For the left and right arrow in the Adsense area, I'd pick different colors than pink and red.

The rollover colors for the links in the horizontal nav bar should have more contrast. Just flipping the gradient isn't enough. I'd change the colors.

I have to tell you that it took me FOREVER to type in this reply because I had a few paid questions asked tonight. Yay, conversions are up already!

THAT IS SO AWESOME!!! You are a star, Dr. Marie!

Risa

#9 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

Thanks so much Risa!

I am at work today and the colors on my site look very different on a PC (I have a Mac at home). Now I see what you mean about the excess of green! So, I will work on that.

I'll experiment with some different adsense colors as well - will do a rotating test (a la EGOL) and see which color group is performing best.

I'm going to see if I can change the rollover effect on the nav bar - it might be hard though as I'll have to figure out the template. I'm assuming there is an image file for each button, but we'll see. Any suggestions on what colour I should make the selection when it is rolled over?

Sigh...I had 4 wonderful days off and now I am working LONG days this week and it is very busy in the office!!! It's hard when my career gets in the way of my website!!!

#10 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hey Doc,

I have a feeling you are going to change the color scheme.
I did this button for now inspired by the color scheme on the PetPlan Google ad.

May be other's will comment on it and I'll do more based on your and other's comments.

raz

Attached Thumbnails

• ask_a_question.png

#11 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

How does this page look with the left column bigger and the right smaller? Metacam use in cats. Right now the 120 width adsense is still in there but once I get all my pages changed it will be a 160x600 in there.

In my opinion the page should be about the content not the sidebars... In this layout it's all about side bars.

Tips for Setting Up Google Adsense

Google ads by default are very crampt and choking within their boarder.

While you have no control over that, there are things you can do that makes them look a lot better.

Create your own Box
- Create a box that is larger than the google ad size of your choice by around 10 pixels all around.
- Set the boarder of that box to the same color scheme of your website.
- Set the background of the box to the back ground of the ad

Adsense Settings
- Set Adsense boarder the same as the background.
- Set Adsense font to Tahoma, and the Large (this will not work with 480x60).

It goes without saying that for ads in side columns, you will need to think of these things when setting column width. For example if you are going to be using 250 x 250 then the column will have to be at least 270.

One more thing to remember.

Adsense by default will display the best yielding ads first. So it is important to choose where the first instance of the code that the bot encounters is.

raz

Edited by raz, 29 December 2010 - 04:47 PM.

#12 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks raz! What do you think of the new ask button....I'm still working on the other changes...Ask a vet question.

#13 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Alright guys! I've made a bunch of changes in colour and layout. What do you think?

#14 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5525 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

This is looking better and better... I really like the colors now... They do not compete with your content.

I like the 160 wide ads... the smaller "Ask your question" banner (will still get plenty of action but conserves space that allows your content to ride higher).

Let us know how it is working... are your pageviews and time-on-site up?

#15 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2085 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

It's looking really great. Very professionally and I like how you've set out the questions/replies. Only thing that bugged me is the 'quick news' ticker at the bottom. It's sooo slow, not quick at all :) I can't see anyone stopping long enough for it to get a full headline out. You could tr something like the bbc news one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ which fades in/out a whole headline or just make yours tyoe faster :)

You're going to style your blog to match yes? ;) I'd be tempted to drop it from the top menu until you do as it's not what you want to direct people visiting to at the moment.

#16 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks guys!

That's weird about the ticker. I guess it has different speeds depending on what computer you are using. I'll play around with it.

And yes, pageviews are dramatically up...average time on site has increased by a minute. But, most importantly the conversions are dramatically increased. My adsense revenue is up as well.

My next plan is the blog and to start adding some more content. It's been ages since I made a good article page.

#17 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5525 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

Great news! Thanks for the report.

One place where you could get a little more adsense revenue is to place a 468x15 link unit between the "Most Recent Questions" and "Most Popular Questions" boxes.... That link unit could be placed within a table with a few pixels of padding and the same border and background colors as the Recent and Popular boxes. The only challenge of placing that link unit there is that you must increase the width of the column by a few pixels.

A lot of people do not believe that link units will make much money. I don't agree. Do not underestimate how much money you can earn from link units. I am not saying a dollar amount but... one third of my income is from 468x15 and 728x15 link units. :)

Edited by EGOL, 02 January 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#18 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

What do you think of the new ask button....I'm still working on the other changes...

Why is it distorted? that column is 250 wide right?
Give me the final size and I'll redo it.

raz

#19 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

That link unit could be placed within a table with a few pixels of padding and the same border and background colors as the Recent and Popular boxes. The only challenge of placing that link unit there is that you must increase the width of the column by a few pixels.

If you are going to mess with the width then take the width of the black navigation bar as your overall width and then adjust the content column to fit. I think the content column is too narrow anyway.

You have about 15 pixels on either side, so the main content will be 30 pixels wider while all the spaces will remain the same.

raz

Edited by raz, 02 January 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#20 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

The site is based on a 16 grid template. Each 1/16th is 60px. So, right now the left column is 3 units (180 px), the middle is 8 units (640px) and the right is 5 units (300px). I could certainly make the middle column 9 units (630px) and the right column 4 units (240px) but then I am limiting the adsense I can put in the right column.

The current ask button is actually 280 px wide. I changed the green colour of the "click here now" to #1B2F6F to match my new colours in my site.

EGOL, I can definitely put a link unit in there. Thanks!

#21 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

The current ask button is actually 280 px wide. I changed the green colour of the "click here now" to #1B2F6F to match my new colours in my site.

OK, I'll re do it.

#22 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Thanks raz!

EGOL, I think I understand what you mean about the link units. How do you think these look:

Main page
A question page

Edited by Dr.Marie, 02 January 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#23 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Well look at that! My link units have been up a couple of hours and already have 5 clicks. Nice.

#24 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5525 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

They look great. I hope that they make a lot of money for you.... and if you want to try something different the same space could be used for a 468x60 ad unit.... but you would need to take an ad unit out of the footer to do that.

Edited by EGOL, 02 January 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#25 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Fresh, New and Lemon Scented.

raz

Attached Thumbnails

• ask.png

#26 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Very nice. Thanks! It will be up on the site in a couple of mins.

#27 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hey Raz,

This is so nice of you - helping Dr. Marie like this.

The site looks great! It's exciting to hear how different placements, colors, widths of the Adsense affect clicks.

My only design comment now is "Online Vet Advice" in the header. I'm not crazy about that font. I think it might be Verdana, which I like in a small point size, but don't like it when it's big. I would move that part over a bit to the right - maybe another 15 pixels, and change the font to something less html-like, like Trebuchet or Calibri or Corbel.

Risa

#28 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Hey Risa,

It's actually Eras Demi, and as for the text goes I tried a couple of phrases based on "Got a Question?" but they didn't work. Any ideas for that? I'll try a couple of variations on your suggestions.

raz

Edited by raz, 03 January 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#29 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hi Raz, No - you misunderstood - I think "Online Veterinarian Advice" is a GREAT tag line. It's the font I'm talking about that I don't really like. Something about that font looks very stick figure-y.

#30 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

Rissa, I think Raz thought you were talking about the font on the button he made me. Raz, Rissa's talking about the font in the header with the white words, "online veterinary advice".

Thanks Rissa...I'll change it soon!

Raz, the new button looks great! Thanks again for doing that for me!

#31 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Yes Doc, I realized later...

#32 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

here's that line in trebuchet with a drop shadow.

Attached Thumbnails

• drmarie.jpg

Edited by RisaBB, 03 January 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#33 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

I would keep the header very simple, something like the attached. And would do the copyline in a single line following the "logo".

Once things stabilize and you start making money then you can head to 99design.com and have a nice header designed.

raz

Attached Thumbnails

• askavet.png

Edited by raz, 03 January 2011 - 02:07 PM.

#34 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

I thought of askavetaquestion.com today, when I came across another site that offers to answer questions.

They use a paypal button with a dropdown that has three choices - 5 minutes for free, up to 30 for one price and another price for over 30 minutes. It's a sideline for them and not prominently displayed.

It's a nice little thing to put in a footer, as it's compact and to the point. A small "more information" link could take care of undecideds and those who aren't familiar with your service.

ask_a_question.png

#35 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

That's a great idea! I like it! Will implement it soon.

#36 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

They use a paypal button with a dropdown that has three choices - 5 minutes for free, up to 30 for one price and another price for over 30 minutes. It's a sideline for them and not prominently displayed.

What a cool thing. Just what the doctor ordered for the doctor! :applause:

#37 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

:)

Ii should add that next to the dropdown there is a little box that shows if the person who answers questions is offline or online.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users