• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

I currently have a twitter account under the name AskAVetQuestion. I have 800+ followers but I have to admit that most of them are from WeFollow and other automated devices.

I'm thinking I'd like to start really branding myself as Dr. Marie and I should change my twitter name to that one.

Should I start a new account from scratch? Or can I just change my current account name? Any thoughts are appreciated.

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3794 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

As long as the name is available, you can change to the new name without losing your followers. You might want to alert them ahead of time though, just so they don't get confused when they see your avatar with a different name suddenly showing up in their tweet stream.

Here's the instructions:
http://support.twitt...e-your-username

I did this when I changed from DazzlinDonna to DonnaFontenot. Afterwards, your old username will be free for the taking. If you don't want anyone else to acquire your old name, you'll need to reacquire it as a second account (just as if you were a new person acquiring it for the first time, with a different email address). I'm not sure if that's against their TOS or not, but let's just say that I know it can be done. :)

#3 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Excellent...thanks Donna. DrMarie is taken and they don't allow punctuation so I can't take Dr.Marie.

I'll have to think this one through!

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3794 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

I think underscores are allowed. At least, some of the folks I follow have underscores, so at least at one point in time, they were allowed.

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1584 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

What appears to be nice is that I just searched for dazzlindonna on twitter and it turned up tweets by donnafontenot.

It appears that the rebranding process is pretty well thought out and implemented.

#6 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hmm I bet TheDoctor is taken as well............

#7 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

How about MarieTheVet or AskDrMarie

Is the name you want active? If not you could always ask nicely if the mind swapping.. you never know :)

#8 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

Good idea tam! The person using DrMarie has not been active in almost a year. So, I sent her an email to see if she's willing to give up her twitter name. It's a long shot, but it's worth a try!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users