• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

I am starting to see Google place large image menus at the top of the SERPs for very broad commercial terms.

For example, when I search for "shoes" I see six juicy images at topSERPs (sneakers, dress shoes, high heels, moccasin, cowboy boots, skate shoes)... clicking these takes you to a more specific search

A search for "gemstones" yields nice image links to sapphire, amethyst, garnet, emerald, aquamarine, citrine...

A search for "watches" yields images for rolex, breitling, omega, cartier, tag heuer, panerai

A search for "candy"... yields pics of popular candies...

I know that this type of menu works well from watching visitor behavior on my own sites. Google is now using it too.

In a way, I believe that it is useful... but I also think that it will prevent searchers from developing higher skills because they don't have to "try again" to get more specific results.

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

are those the ones that are also flashy, I have seen some cool adverts for supplements which are sort of revolving image maps, whatever item you click takes you to the relevant product page.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

Yet another invitation to hotlink spam from Google. The recent op-ed articles I've found in Google News, criticizing Google for creating the Webspam environment, seem to indicate that dissatisfaction with Google is spreading outside of SEO circles and closer to the mainstream.

#4 NathanielB

NathanielB

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

I dont see what you mean Egol :(
Would you mind posting a screenshot of what you see please? as when I search for "shoes" on g.co.uk I just see the same old normal results

Edited by NathanielB, 06 January 2011 - 05:10 AM.

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1715 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

EGOL:

I tried those same phrases using google.com and google has my town address:

For all but gemstones I had presentations with the organic/local mixture of local stores with a map on the right. For some of the phrases Google was showing A featured list of subtopic links on the top. The pictures you were referencing usually were further down the page.

Of note: That current visual with local stores a map and local websites with some kind of maps ranking became universally installed in Google.com on 10/26 and 10/27 last year. But they had tested it quite a bit last summer.

Google keeps working on its UI and showing different types of info coming from the different indexes all meshed into universal google.

I don't blame them for continuing to experiment all the time and create better results (and experiment to get better financial results)

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Nathaniel.... I see the same old results much of the time... but occasionally I get the six images... I'll grab a screen shot for you when I see it next.

Interesting report Earl... maybe that happens because you are close to the city and I am up in the hills :)

#7 NathanielB

NathanielB

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Egol that would be much appreciated mate.
I hate the fact that people cant see the same thing of google due to different data centers passing on different info all the time even for those in the same area lol.

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4662 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

I hate the fact that people cant see the same thing

Best get used to it.
Google, now with new, super sized, and improved personalisation service offers every visitor a unique searching experience...

I am in Canada - so I tend to use google.ca...but I do like to check google.com on occasion. Unfortunately, google serves me dot-ca in place of dot-com even when URL is typed in. So I must either use a proxy or click the 'go to' link from dot-ca. Note: typing in all other G country code domains works appropriately, only dot-com passes me off via a 302.

I see sort of what EGOL sees for his queries but not exactly. The 6-images are generally second below wikipedia, occasionally instead of images I get two rows of six text terms, first row generic, second row brand. But not this morning, this morning I am getting a strange mix of universal, local (100-km off target as using ISP location) and back to universal.

I only use G as a tertiary search - after IxQuick and Bing - for general use because it just doesn't deliver as it used to, hasn't for a couple of years.

#9 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1715 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

I only use G as a tertiary search - after IxQuick and Bing - for general use because it just doesn't deliver as it used to, hasn't for a couple of years.

I use Google because over 85% of searchers to my sites use it. :frustration: I'd like to use Bing.

Edited by earlpearl, 08 January 2011 - 02:23 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users