Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Is It Better To Have Anchor Text Of The Exact Kw Phrase?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hello,

I just got a link from an .edu site which I'm very happy about. It's on a shopping page and my store is listed with other stores, however, they wrote my store name wrong, but I'm wondering if it's worth contacting them to fix this. I know that, in general, you want varied anchor text.

Here's the situation. Say my store is called:

Golf Gift Store

This edu site linked to my store with the anchor text 'Golf Gift' which doesn't really even sound like English to me. I think it should either say, 'Golf Gifts' or 'Golf Gift Store.'

People DO search using the term, 'Golf Gift' although 'Golf Gifts' is a much more popular search term.

Also, if they changed the anchor text to 'Golf Gift Store,' would it carry as much weight as 'Golf Gift' since nobody really searched for 'Golf Gift Store' so there's that extra word in the anchor text. I'm wondering if having 3 words as anchor text isn't as good as having the exact 2-word KW phrase. If that makes sense at all.

Thanks.

Risa

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

If you're building links, it won't matter in the long run if they fix the anchor text or not. If you want them to fix the anchor text, it should be because you want the proper name of the store to appear on their site.

#3 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

IMHO; I wouldn't mess with it Risa.

Chances are they wouldn't respond and frustrate you, besides 2 words out of a three word phrase is still a great link.

If the two word version is a low hanging fruit then it might give an immediate result. And yes when it comes to back links, veriety is spice of life.

raz

#4 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

Why would an .edu site link to "golf gifts stores" BTW? Are they into that sorta thing? </trick question>

#5 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hey Wit,
Risa said:

It's on a shopping page

Which means that those studants are more interested in shopping than in homework...

#6 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Exactly.
So for all it's worth it could just as well have been a .com </QED> Or an .edu with a habit of linking out to all sorts of websites. In any case, I wouldn't wet my pants over this... Sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade here

:paddedcell:

#7 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm thinking of contacting them to correct the store name, mostly because I think it sounds weird.

Why would an .edu site link to "golf gifts stores" BTW? Are they into that sorta thing?

This link is from a student club, which is part of the university, so I guess the school gave them space on their domain.

#8 NathanielB

NathanielB

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

I wouldn't bother to ask for it to be changed Risa, as Raz said you quite unlikely to get a response anyway and it may end up being a blessing in disguise! Its on a student site right? so if these students are interested in golf they may wonder what the link has to offer as its a bit of a strange one.

Plus as said above you do really want to mix up your anchor text as having every link the same will not help. If the anchor text is different from your store name leave it as a lot of sites will more then likely link with your store name so this is a good thing IMHO.

#9 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Golf students should be very interested in knowing about local golf stores. It sounds to me like it would be worthwhile trying to get the right store name on the site. This goes beyond link building and anchor text -- this is about creating consumer awareness of a brand and building a relationship with a local special interest group.

#10 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1715 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Risa:

I love anchor text. I think its always worthwhile to ask for the phrase. I've done it many times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's worthwhile to try.

After many such attempts what works somewhat better is to establish some level of relationship with the webmaster. You are a pro. You can eyeball that site and have some constructive comments that can help them. Offer some assistance for making the change. That works somewhat better in getting webmasters to make the change you desire, in my experience.

As to diluting anchor text: Years ago I participated in experiments with a webmaster on that issue. yeah, we seemed to find that three words had a "diluted impact" on a targeted two word anchor text phrase. That was years ago.

What about anchor text today. Earlier this year or last year there was a lot of commentary about how Google had devalued specific anchor text in its algo's for other features. Could be.

(Now here is another question where our friend John Mu would have just the best of best insights) :naughty: :naughty: (I can't help but focus on that every time we discuss one of these Google issues) :)

I'm not the end all authority...but I still see the value of anchor text working....and I also see the value of other attributes.

After years of trying I always think its worthwhile to ask for the phrase, though....and my experience is that the results get improved when you offer something back to the webmaster. Just generally gives them more incentive to make the change on your behalf. All you might offer are a few little tips they might have missed. They do often appreciate that.

#11 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Thanks, guys! I was all set to let it be, and then I read Michael's response. And then EarlPearl's with interesting insight. I have to think about this some more but I think I'm inclined to ask for a change for Michael's reason, but maybe most of all because 'Golf Gift' just sounds wacky.

#12 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

Risa, I would say go ahead and ask. I think as long as it is done with the right tone no harm will be done.

I have had people contact me to ask if I could change the anchor text I used to link out to them on my site and I gladly did.

It's not like they are going to get ticked off with you and remove your link, right?

#13 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I know I shouldn't be making a big deal over this one link, but link building is so darn tedious that when I do get a link, it's a big thing for me.

Anyway, although "Golf Gift Store" should be what the anchor text says and sounds better, 'Golf Gift,' although grammatically incorrect - this 2 word KW phrase is searched for more than 'Golf Gift Store' so it's probably the better anchor text, although as Michael says, if I'm trying to get any branding at all, I should ask for the correct store name.

You're right, Dr.Marie, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking, if I decide that's what I want to do. What I really need is an article to go viral and get all kinds of incoming links with varied anchor text without even asking. One day...

Edited by RisaBB, 07 January 2011 - 09:42 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users