• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

I wrote a book and am posting it on a website, for visitors to view, in logical sections every few days.
When it is fully published online in full I will have the option of leaving it on the site or leaving it on the site and providing a copy that visitors can download.
I know what I think is the best plan but I wonder what others think.
Which option might be best in respect to retaining traffic and value to the site.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5478 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

In my opinion it would be a pain in the rear to keep going back to a site to get sections of a document. It would have to be very important for me to do that (and to remember to do that). However, a few times I have signed up to receive weekly installments of a lesson or other information by email. I didn't mind that because it came automatically to me - but I would have rather received the entire document at once.

#3 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

I went to a site once that had great information in an ebook. The site gave you the option of having a lesson a week sent to you for free or buying the ebook now for a small price.

But I think it depends on what you are trying to do. If your goal is to gain links then it's probably best to have the whole book on your site.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5478 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

If you have an eBook and you want to gain links then make it into a .pdf document, optimize it in document properties (so that it will have a title tag and rank in the SERPs) embed links in it to many pages on your site, and lock the .pdf from future editing.

Then put it on your site and allow anyone to do anything with it that they want. If they post it on their website there will be a ton of links in it pointing back to your site.

I usually don't approve of syndication but for locked pdf documents with links back to my site I like the idea. The locked pdf will have all of your branding and that makes it very different from a page on someone else's website.

(btw... if you didn't know.... google spiders the content of .pdf documents and counts the links from them in google webmaster tools and probably in their ranking algo.... locked and optimized .pdfs are easy to make if you by the adobe software)

I have lots of .pdf documents out there. :)

Edited by EGOL, 09 January 2011 - 01:18 PM.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

I don't disagree with EGOL's comments but would like to add a warning: locking a pdf is much like locking your house, it may discourage the amateur but only slows the professional (well barely that for a good auto-scrape process). Granted most 'borrowers' fall into the first category. Regardless pdf's should be locked.

I like the idea of serial publishing. It creates a return audience. :)

Presuming that the total length is considerable separate pages for each stand-alone section is an excellent choice for topical concentration. I would strongly suggest a category 'home page' where link and brief description to each can be added, possibly with in-page anchor links as well. Further, I would start such a page page with a summary of the whole. And perhaps offer a pdf download for each as well.

If, however, the final work is not considerable, I would simply add on to the prior page content. Certainly to 5000 words, possibly more. So much depends on factors I don't know.

And never get rid of the html versions. Consider them your content. And, in future, when appropriate revise, add copy, images, etc. And then add 'updated' pdf versions. :)

Personally, with the serial pages being indexed I'd block the pdf(s) from the SEs (re- duplicate content issue). However, each to their own. And their niche audiences.

#6 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Thanks everyone...

Unfortunately I can't post the whole thing as I am doing the final edits as I post.
Parts were lost in a crash but I have the outline so it is just a matter of grinding it out.

Not to mention I wrote it in word which goofed everything up with strange invisible formatting.

I started posting the book as a blog but I did not like the wordpress navigation so I am putting it up as html and managing each page as I go.

I am eager to get some content up but I hope I am not being over eager.

The site is in a "soft launch" state. I have not done much to promote other than submit site maps to search engines.
I think it will probably take me a month to finish the book.

I have already spent 2 months teaching myself PHP and building an event calendar and the season is fast approaching.

#7 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Wow, this is interesting stuff!

Last year I created an ebook about how to save money on vet bills. I think I'll add some internal links to my site and do what you suggested EGOL.

Then put it on your site and allow anyone to do anything with it that they want. If they post it on their website there will be a ton of links in it pointing back to your site.

Do you tend to write something encouraging people to re-post it? And what's stopping them from just cutting and pasting from the PDF and taking the links out?

#8 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am writing this as a resource for others in the same field. If someone wants to link, good but I was thinking also of traffic.

I like EGOL's idea of the locked PDF.
Naturally people could simply re-write the info but the casual poster would be providing a link back.

Anyway, if it is indexed on the owners site first they are considered the original source.
Right? Wrong?

Edited by tommr, 09 January 2011 - 03:26 PM.

#9 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have decided to post the first chapter for free and charge for the entire book.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users