• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

I just thought I would write a word to encourage people to play around with their adsense placement and colors to see what works well.

We have had some discussion lately about whether or not I should include a leaderboard 728x90 ad on my site. It looks like it doesn't work well for most sites, but for my site it seems to be performing really well.

Since I put the leaderboard ad in my revenue has more than doubled. (I know some of that will be because it is a new ad channel and has not had a chance to be smart priced yet though.)

I've also run some ad rotations, like EGOL suggested, experimenting with different color combinations. It is amazing how some perform better than others!

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Can you show an example? (Yes, its okay...)

I'm heading back into the advertising direction again. I'm always in debate about larger ads.

Btw, the mouse story in another post cracked me up!

#3 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Sure Kim!

You can see the leaderboard ads at the top of any of my pages (just below the header). Just click the link in the signature.

It's a bit of a toss up between making revenue and not having the site look like an ad factory. It looks a little littered right now, but the revenue is really up the last couple of days, so I'm going to experiment with a few things over the next few weeks and see what works best.

I have the leaderboard ad set to show either text or image, but text is the most common one that comes up. I think Google automatically figures out which one is giving you the most clicks.

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Ok, I see.

The ads (leaderboard and smaller ones) are all very similar to the goal of your site, which is answering questions. VERY targeted delivery (fantastic). Competitive, which is a risk, but you get revenue when they leave, while bringing them in with a nicely targeted page. Some visitors will click your site links because you are the trusted source and when satisfied, if they see a possible related link for help inside a banner, you've given them that option. User behavior-wise, you've satisfied that visitor.

I can see why it works in your case. Most sites put any banner on there or the range of ads is too wide that they stand out as being annoying.

Good example of what can work! Thank you :(

#5 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Yes, I debated excluding my competitors from the ads being displayed for fear that I would lose customers. I do think though that the vast majority of people who come to my site are just looking around and not wanting to part with any cash so no harm in losing those ones.

It's interesting to watch the behavior of the converting visitors. They often will come to my site and click around and then check my feedback and then my about page and then read a bunch of my previous answers and then eventually decide to pay for a question. I figure if they do this much research they are probably doing the same on my competitors' sites.

My goal is to make my site SHINE in comparison to my competitors so that even if I do send some customers away through ads they should come back when they are ready to open up their wallets. And then I have the conversion plus the adsense click!

#6 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Very interesting. I'm hoping to launch a site soon that I'm doing with my 11 year old son - I guess as a lark, but he wants to make $, and I'm curious to create a content-only site that generates revenue via Adsense Ads and then I'll be following what works for you, and others, very carefully. I'll put that site in my sig line if we ever get our act together.

I'm finding the nuances and the effects so interesting of color, placement, size, etc. I sat in on a session a few years ago at SES NY called "Landing Page Testing and Tuning" and I couldn't believe how small changes made big differences.

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5182 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

Here is a site about testing that dazzlindonna told me about... http://whichtestwon.com/

Lots of amazing tests. You will learn a lot and be surprised a lot by looking at the test results.

#8 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

This site has loads of studies and videos of page and layout optimization and they hold regular live events during wich they also analyse attendees pages.

NOTE: In this site the words "optimization" and "optimize" applies to Marketing, and Page Layout, not SE Optimization.

http://www.marketingexperiments.com/

raz

Edited by raz, 16 January 2011 - 11:08 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users