5 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:49 AM

Hi All,
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this, so apologies if it is not. As I said in my introduction post I am currently doing some work for Bournemouth University in the UK on Eye Tracking. We are setting up an Eye Tracking Consultancy (BUETC) and are currently finalising the services we might offer to web usability experts, web marketeers and information architects.

So, my questions to you is, have you considered using Eye Tracking services in any of the work you have done? If you have, I'd be interested to find more. If you haven't it would be useful to understand why not.

Thanks for any replies.
Regards,
Craig.

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2335 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

not considered it because the research has been done for most of the studies I need data on....IE where do people look and how do people move around the page. Still looks good though.

#3 craig

craig

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hi Glynn,
Thanks for your reply.

I am guessing from the lack of responses that Eye Tracking services are not something that interests people on this forum - I would be keen to understand why people in this forum are not interested in how Eye Tracking as it may help the Bournemouth University Eye Tracking Consultancy with the formation of services.

As an example, we know that cost is an issue - to address this we are looking at providing an economical package.

Please let me know if there are other reasons why you migth not be interested in eye tracking.

Regards,
Craig.

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hi Craig,

It isn't that these forums aren't interested in eye tracking. It's that you're promoting your own software, which is against our policies. I removed your last post with the link.

Eye tracking is only as helpful as the training of the person using it. There are some excellent products out there, some with video to send along to the client. Eye tracking from years past gave everyone a heads up that persons in the West read one way and persons from the East read pages a different way.

UX folks prefer to use ET as a tool but only when associated with other types of data, as well as business and targeted user requirements.

#5 raz

raz

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Craig,

What if you would actually share some of your insight into the subject. For instance there is this post in GoogleBlog http://googleblog.bl...than-meets.html on the subject where Google has decided to share it's findings on a page that has no AdWord Ads... Maybe you could comment on that.

raz

Edited by raz, 02 February 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#6 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

So, my questions to you is, have you considered using Eye Tracking services in any of the work you have done?

Eye tracking studies show you what users think is the most important content on the page. They don't show you where the most important content should go, however.

I've never reviewed an eye-tracking study that used a scientifically valid sample set of users. Nor have I reviewed any that used control sets of Websites that use unconventional layouts (such as placing all the important information in the lower right-hand corner).

Without that kind of data to compare traditional eye-tracking data to, I don't find much use for the studies. They tend to be more sensationalistic than anything else.

There are, if I recall correctly, about five major languages that are read from right to left on the Internet. I wonder what eye-tracking studies for those languages would reveal.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users