• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 05:48 AM

That my web site has moved to 51 from 39 on WWW2 and WWW3 of google. I'm still listed at 39 on www.google.com. This is not what I expected from my linking efforts. Ugh.

#2 babal81

babal81

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:58 AM

Well, you're not the only who is not happy with latest Google dance. My linking efforts were not enough to even get indexed with Google this time, so I guess that it's becouse Google doesn't count them yet, neither yours or mine. Next Google dance will probably makes both of us happy :lol:

Bilal

#3 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 02:15 PM

damn, now on www.google.com I'm 51, and I show zero links to my site. I had 20+ links before this.

#4 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 02:20 PM

Wow now I just checked and my PR is grey. Have I been penalized or something ? I'm still showing up in google. This is absolutely frustrating.

#5 SearchCanary

SearchCanary

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 04:54 PM

dgcccomllc,

I would not worry too much about it - it is really early in the update process. The SERPS will bounce around a lot, that is all part of the dance. Check it in a couple of days.

#6 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 05:02 PM

I was concerned because it was the first time I put some outbound links on my site to some resources that were related to our industry and also happened to mention our site. Most of them were pretty high quality PR sites.

I added probably about 15 links. I'm just hoping that google didn't think we were trying to spam. These sites were really related to our industry, except a couple of them were most related to software.

I've noticed that sometimes today we have a grey PR, then our old PR 5. Then sometimes if I go from a site with a direct link to ours, the PR shows back up. It's very odd.

Unfortunately, I'm not a hugely patient person (at least not when it concerns my personal business)

#7 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6307 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:42 AM

If this update isn't what you'd hoped, that's not a reason for future hope. Bear in mind that the "linking" process takes 2 full updates to really kick in.

1) You add the link.
2) Google updates and starts its next crawl within 30 days of when the new links to you get added to the various sites out there.
3) Google finds those links and credits you.
4) Google updates 30 days after the first update and your link credits show.

Not that that helps you with this update, but chances are, if you got those new links sometime this past month, then you won't see benefit from them until the end of February.

G.

#8 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:22 PM

I understand about the links (I did get them in this month), but was concerned about the grey bar on our site. But it's weird, it's intermittent, and sometimes only some pages have a grey bar, then I'll browse back to the site later and their rankings are back.

I'm just real curious about the page rank.

#9 robwatts

robwatts

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 02:48 PM

Dennis

I too am getting this intermittant grey tolbar on a site I run. Some pages have it , then they dont.

The site is well established and Ive never seen it happen before. I havent radically altered anything, or implemented any sneaky tricks.

SERP positons have dropped too.

I think that until the dance has settled down it will be difficult to know exactly how the land is lying.

The toolbar is sometimes a bit of a poison chalice :) especially during the dance!

#10 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 02:57 PM

well this is the first time that I've made some real efforts to push up our rankings in google. I'm glad to hear that the grey bar thing doesn't seem to be too much of a big deal during the dance. I kind of thought that might be the case.

#11 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:33 PM

I understand about the links (I did get them in this month), but was concerned about the grey bar on our site.  But it's weird, it's intermittent, and sometimes only some pages have a grey bar, then I'll browse back to the site later and their rankings are back.

I'm just real curious about the page rank.

The PageRank is usually the last thing to settle so there's no way of know as yet what will happen. Sit tight. :)

#12 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:02 PM

The PageRank is usually the last thing to settle so there's no way of know as yet what will happen. Sit tight.

Well I was just very concerns that my efforts to acquire links (again about 10-15 can't remember how many ended up happening) caused us to be considered spamming google. I did include some reciprocal links to the more prominent (high PR) sites that linked to us. I read somewhere that this can help us if we link to sites that link to us.

But I'll be patient. I'm hoping for a PR6, up from the PR5 that we have now. We're going to be redesigning the site a bit, and adding some more content soon.

#13 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 07:21 PM

Well I was just very concerns that my efforts to acquire links (again about 10-15 can't remember how many ended up happening) caused us to be considered spamming google.

Fair enough. If you carefully screened and selected them I can't see why you'd have any trouble. If you want to tell me what they are I'll be happy to take a look.

Cheers,
Sophie

#14 Web Diversity

Web Diversity

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 07:35 PM

A few months back I had a buggy version of IE, so got hold of Netscape and because we have squillions of passwords for loads of accounts we have sort of stuck with Netscape.

Admittedly it has it's downsides, but since we started using it we don't have a toolbar. Since I stopped being obsessed with Page Rank the decision to link or not are now based on the content of the site, the approach made, the other sites that either link to that page or are linked on it and not whether a site has a PR higher or lower than the site/page I am getting linking to.

The country club mentality adopted by some site owners really does make me wonder about some peoples motives for having a web site at all. Since we got rid of the bar and concentrated on solid bricks and mortar business sales processes the worry over how we fare or our clients are gone. If we lose pages that were important owing to SQL worms or cleaners unplugging servers to hoover, we have a fall back which is a paid campaign on Google, it might not be the most cost effective way of shoreing up the traffic but it doesn't spell disaster with a capital D any more.

Get rid of the toolbar and "use the force"

#15 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 07:40 PM

Good points Jim.

I do a lot of link dev campaigns for clients and I really don't bother about the PR. My main criteria are a) do the sites fit eachother, and B) the traffic we can derive from the site. If the link boosts our site's PR so be it but I'm mainly looking for prospective customers for my clients.

#16 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:18 PM

No-one should get too het-up over PageRank. It is just one of the one-hundred factors Google claim to use, and I have seen PR8 pages beaten by PR3 pages many times.

If you focus too much attention on any one factor, you'll be absolutely certain to miss the bigger picture entirely. Marketing of all kinds, whether SEM or traditional is about using the whole mix of tools and focusing on the ROI. It's like juggling: if you focus on just one ball, you'll drop the other three.

#17 Guest_Mel_*

Guest_Mel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:20 PM

I sometimes wonder if Googles nice little toolbar with the handy PR guage on it, may be just their way of distracting us from other, more important, portions of the Google algo.

#18 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 11:15 PM

I think that was a side-benefit, but you could be right, Mel.

I'd say that domain names are hotter than ever right now, and to support that I offer this.

#19 Guest_Mel_*

Guest_Mel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2003 - 12:47 AM

In support of that idea try this search
Then try this search
Notice that Jills very nice #1 ranking for that term seems to have something to do with her URL, and when the ending s is dropped or the est is appended there are very different results indeed.

#20 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 01:46 AM

Link text could explain both of your examples, Mel, since those sites both make use of their domain name in the content. In my example, the words 'marketing plus' only occur in the URL, I have never used the domain name in visible text (it is not the 'title' of the site), and I've not seen them used in a single back-link.

#1 slot out of over 2 million, when many others do use the words in their links and page titles etc? That amazed me and confounded all I thought I'd known about the balance that Google assigned to the various factors.

#21 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:29 AM

I just don't get why google smashed us down 20 places. It screwed us on Yahoo too. We were 31st, now we're 53. I'm starting to hate google. Again, the only difference was the addition of links. I can't believe that we lost 20+ places.

#22 Guest_Mel_*

Guest_Mel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:39 AM

There are many who are not all that happy with this months update. :D
The Reason for you drop in rankings is more likely due to a change in the Google algo than the addition of links to your site.

#23 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:48 AM

What I don't understand is that my bar is still grey, and I no longer have link:www.mysite.com that used to exist. It's just odd that Google doesn't think my site exists (grey bar), but it's still listed in position 61.

Now fortunately, I have figured out how to get my adwords to the first page for my target word. But going to cost me. I'm just more torqued that site that had a PR5 a few days ago, now doesn't seem to be listed in google at all. Just down right stupid.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users