• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

While writing an article for publication on another site, with hopes of a link back, I wondered if it was better to submit the article for publication on another site, not knowing if it would be published, or if I should publish it on my own site, hoping for links.
If I were google I would devaluate links from article submission sites. I would be surprised if they do not do that anyway.
Any thoughts?

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

As with web directories there are article (republishing, marketing) sites that have value. Granted most, again as with directories, are not worth the submission (and may be harmful).

Unless you can make a real value case for publishing your work elsewhere I would write for your own site(s).

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4423 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Well, I would first write quality for my site, then do a minimal amount of article marketing, keeping the articles short and sweet. Rather than use the directories why not contact people direct offering a unique article? Lots of people do that with me. Admittedly I ignore most of them as they are always selling a product I disagree with (had someone wanting to advertise electronic cigarettes the other day!)

There is Myguestblog.com too where you can offer guest posts.

#4 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

I think if you're going to use article marketing then you should use it the way it was originally designed to be used: to reach out to people who don't normally see your message. Find good Websites whose readers will take the time to peruse your words and think about that.

That could EzineArticles.com or it could be ArticlesBase or it could be some blog you never heard of before yesterday. But we should be writing articles we hope people read.

#5 TheManBehindTheCurtain

TheManBehindTheCurtain

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1035 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

I would agree with Michael. The caveats by iamlost and JonBey are very relevant, so you do have to choose carefully where to place articles. But the answer to your question is embedded in the way you described it. If outbound marketing is your goal, "hoping for links" is not a plan.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4423 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

One problem with just dumping articles on a free for all directory is that you can guarantee that some people will use the articles without linking back, so all you do is duplicate any content you may have created and placed on your own site, with no benefit to you. Others may use it and pop a nofollow in there too.

If you have a relationship, albeit s very brief "want an article mate?" type of relationship, you are more likely to have a better link out of it.

#7 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

Thanks every one for the input.

One thing that seems to come up time after time is "create great content that people will want to link to"
Who are these people that are suppose to come by and link to my content. The answer is they do not exist in any great numbers.

I refuse to believe my competitors have thousands of people stopping by and linking to the content. Especially when the articles are canned and the products are cheep junk.

Well I have some really good content and over the years there have been only a very few natural links to it.

So my options are to spend many hundreds of hours for a score of links or pay an seo to generate phony baloney links.

In my opinion google has transformed the web into a collection of articles which were never intended to be read and artificial links.

Thanks a lot.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4423 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Well, it depends largely on what you write really, but people do link still. OK, it seems to be harder with more and more action on places like Twitter, Facebook and the content farms which are all nofollow, but there are still bloggers that link back, and some forums too.

Some social media is good, in the last few days I have had a lot of traffic from Reddit for an article I wrote years ago about slouching in chairs. Someone picked up on it, blogged it and they must have loads of followers as it have received about 5000 Reddit hits plus about 1000 email hits in the last few days. But that is not the norm.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users