• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

OK. Recently (I honestly forget where) someone did mention that the images in my right sidebar looked liked adverts and put them off. So that is one consideration - do I need to change these? They are all there to showcase parts of the site (there is one banner ad style ad that still goes to a review page on the site, rest are articles).

Next, I put the homepage up on 5 second review and got some feedback:

Did you feel compelled to read more?
seems like a scam site
Not Really, the stock imagery did the site 'in' for me
Not really - not my thing
Read more articles yes
(plus a pretty balanced yes/no that I assume really is down to what people want etc.)

The "scam" and stock imagery are a concern though.

What action, if any, would you take next?
Most of the replies to the question were promising, such as:
Read more on the page to find something of interest
Click on a subject that catches my interes
click on a specific workout program that interests me
Click on a photo to go to an artivle

What could be better?
less boxes, less text, colors in images didnt match colors in site CSS
a central message. The site feels like spam.
less busy
too many words
Yes the site is nicely arranged (woot, one happy customer!)
Looks good to me, how do I get back and look at it again. (make that 2!)
everything. It came off as an add more than a blog/site ( ;) )
More modern design
Not keen on the color scheme, and the text could use some formatting wor
the look and feel isn't very modern
the graphics and images
The lay-out could be a bit better
the design, it looks too modular. it doesn't flow
I think the site looked good. Maybe a obvious feature on weight loss.
It seemed like a well designed front page
More sex appeal

So, there you go, The feedback from 5 seconds review. Now I plan to put some of that into action, but need to prioritise. One consideration is that I may have reached the limit of my design capabilities, maybe time to get a company to do some work on a new theme (I know, I only just updated it last summer/autumn!).

Certainly need to make it look less homegrown, I do think that the homepage and category pages probably let the site down, maybe a fresher template, some much better images and improved homepage layout would do the ticket.

So, what does team Cre8 think?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

Jon,

I think that your site looks better every time I visit.

I don't think that the images in the right sidebar look like ads.

My only concern is that the site looks a little unrefined around the edges.... specifically... the headline box for "Connect With Us!" has small white snips showing in the four corners and the small boxes in the left and right sidebars do not have consistent appearance. Perhaps this could be simply solved with a white background and some CSS tweaking.

I otherwise think that you have an attractive site with an informative look.

Keep up the great work.

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

In my Chrome browser (linux box), the menu is borked. Here's a screenshot, attached. That's with me just loading the page and doing nothing else.

oopsymenu.png

I agree with Egol that the white corners on all the sidebar sections is odd and needs to go.

Yes, I would recommend getting a professional to reskin it.

Yes, I agree that the stock images make me think it's a typical health scam site, but I'm not sure there's a way around that considering the topic.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Quick update - I am trying some little changes (will try to tackle those silly white corners too).

Made site a little wider, right sidebar slimmer (giving more room for content to allow a right alignment of the in-content advert, so it no longer stops the flow of text) and stripping out the images.

Had a last comment on the 5 second review (only had credit for 20, and had 19 replied when I posted). Someone felt that there were too many naked people!

I am going to change this - not just because of 1 random reviewer, but also because I remember that in the Google search preview these images are sometimes blanked out, so as well as looking spammy they may be triggering some sort of filter alter at Google HQ too. Best try without. Got some nice images that look less stock-photoesque with people wearing more clothes (funny, I never even noticed the partial nudity! oh well).

So, for future reviewers, the site has changed already, and i am out of space to attach a screenshot, and not got time to stick it in photobox. Check the G cache, bound to be one in there somewhere!

Oh - the other reason - site speed. Was going to compress those images more, and look at sprites (???) but may just stick with most text and create one image with text on it to showcase a section.

So, work in progress as usual!

Thanks Egol and Donna for your replies!

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

OK, before and after (sorry, this is not about the homepage here, but thought as I had already started the thread I may as well carry on).

Before - wider right border, advert bang in the middle breaking up the content:

Posted Image

After - sides equal size, advert aligned right with a border - to clearly separate ads from content:

Posted Image

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

when I started using this theme it seemed like a great idea, now I am getting really naffed off with it. Deleted out loads of CSS, every reference to the silly corners I can see, and they are still there. Tsk.

Doing someone crazy and irrational - testing totally new themes out.

Found one that is very clean, minimalist, looks nice..... testing on another site.

#7 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

How is this site doing so far?

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Gone back to the old theme, I think I need to get a very basic theme and work from that.

Site, not doing great, taken another downturn, which is annoying.

actually re. theme, I did ditch the background image, and that makes the site look a bit fresher and hides the dodgy curved edges a little too.

#9 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

Yep, I do like it better without the background. Good decision.

#10 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:27 AM

It were probably not the corners themselves, but the header image itself with white, instead of transparent, background. Or just the corners with white background. It's relatively easily fixed, if desired.

Good to see you working on your site, Jon :P
Afterthought afterthoughtI really should update mine to Drupal 7 and get to work :P

Edited by A.N.Onym, 23 April 2011 - 03:27 AM.

#11 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:06 AM

Been trying to work out in which part of the code that image even gets called up. Oh well.

Thinking of getting a pro to make a theme, but worried that they will just make a hash of it and try to do their own thing!

#12 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

sort of hacked it, removed loads of code, no idea what half of it did but site seems OK. At one point it was actually broken in IE (if the script error thing was on) and I deleted loads of js stuff.

So, cleaned the siderbar headers, tried to make the main header line up a bit better, set the width of the content area as it kept going under the right side.

Changed some images, may change some more.

Back to looking for low quality content and hoping like hell that it is what is causing me problems ...

#13 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

I like it a lot better without the background image. Starting to look "clean".

#14 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Thanks. I think I just saved myself 1000 quid in a redesign.

I think what I do really need is some better graphics. I think the home page needs to be designed, but not the whole theme. Same with the category pages. Something really stylish should give the site a more professional edge.

#15 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

I think it's looking pretty cool :)

Only thing, layout wise that I notice is that you could do with a little padding on the article image so they text isn't right against it.

RE images: I don't know if if this is right or not, but to me the images are very professional looking, the people in them are posed and look shiny and the lightings perfect and not a freckle to be seen. I know you're selling an ideal, but I wonder if there is something in between the perfect and the average person that would maybe make the people look more like real people than models. A lot of the weightloss ads you see do this, with 'real' people looking slimmer/fitter rather than just a good looking model - maybe people feel that makes things more obtainable.

#16 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Cheers Tam, I am happier with the way it is looking.

Just changed the first photo on the homepage. Batter? More natural? Friendlier?

#17 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

I like that photo, she looks like a real person, her hairs not perfect and she doesn't look airbrushed smooth, but she's got a contagious kind of smile and that's likely to make people feel good.

The third photo down is quite good too, I think the background helps it look more 'real'.

I know your limited by what stock you can get hold of though and models will be the more common option, which probably makes finding pictures difficult.

#18 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

Good news. Something you did un-broke the funky top menu on my Chrome browser. So the menu now looks good there.

#19 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

Cool! Totally unintentional of course. I did make the header a little bit wider. Funny as it always looked ok in my Chrome.

#20 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Big changes today (or was it late yesterday.....).

2 columns.

Also shifted 125 pages to the .net (what I consider weak/low quality, hope googlebot agrees!) and also all the yoga articles to their own dedicated domain (yoga was slightly off theme and had many short articles). Seems to be doing well for "madonna yoga" and "yoga ashtanga workout" (at least in Canada!).

#21 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

Seems to be doing well for "madonna yoga" and "yoga ashtanga workout" (at least in Canada!).

That's the kind of people we are, jonbey. :)

#22 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:42 AM

Have you done your daily sun salutation Barry?

#23 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

The sun has only been up 1 1/2 hours here on the Pacific west coast and was a little hidden by clouds, jonbey. My salutation must come later. :)

#24 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

All change, all change.

Does it look OK?

(just the homepage)

#25 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

Looks good! Has the feel of a content-rich magazine to me.

#26 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

1. It was me, who said that stock images looked like ads. They do, because most weight loss ads use stock images.

Try finding some Flickr images and use them (with attribution/credit, where necessary).

2. I'd place the email subscription form in the sidebar: one click less might improve conversions. Use a call to action in the input button value :)

#27 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Update is live.

Not 100% on mobile, but OK I think ...

More orange, but not blended well with the blue?

Flows? I may add more little boxes etc, get more content on the page - somehow create broader sections with similar topics grouped together, to attract the eye, I think .....

#28 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

I like it. The only thing that bothers me are the links in the top orange Welcome box. They look like ad links (like adsense ones). I'd personally change the font to look different; more "heading-like"; and bigger. Like...these are titles of articles, not adsense links.

#29 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

I think the home page looks very nice http://www.motleyhealth.com/

#30 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

OK, in a moment of madness I ditched the new orange boxes and replaced with something totally new. Hopefully cleaner and more professional looking - although I could do with finding a more suitable image, I think.

#31 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Not sure if I saw the orange boxes, so I can't say if it looks better with/without, but...

I think you need more colour and less black. You seem to default to big and black any time you want the readers attention (with the occasional capslock thrown in) and that leans it towards the spammy and not so pretty looking :)

The images - always flip people so they are looking towards the centre, no off away from your site. I'd suggest using a set image size for the smaller thumbs so the two column articles line up with each other more neatly and make the page look less patchy. Left align the text in the right column to give you a neat edge to define the two columns.

You're hm page is very long, check the side column for things you don't need eg duplicate search box, links to other sites, big text around the google+ button etc.

Attached a pic with how I'd change it about a bit :)

Attached Thumbnails

• tmp_mothealth2.jpg

#32 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks, I have already changed the newsletter form. Will get flipping images. I like the different top right thing, will try to get that sorted too!

#33 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

Not sure if I saw the orange boxes, so I can't say if it looks better with/without, but...

You can see them here: /new-homepage - the top one is different, I was trying to edit before deciding a different approach.

#34 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

I like that it's a diff colour and the gradient makes it a bit more up to date, but too many boxes within boxes!

You know divs with css rounded corners are pretty well supported now? Might be nice for you green/orange boxes.

#35 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

OK, boxes within boxes are gone. We now have curvy corners. I Googled CSS rounded corners but after about 2 minutes of reading decided to instead Google Wordpress rounded corner widget plugin and found: Drop Shadow Boxes

Which seems to do the trick.

For the homepage I just copied the Drop Shadow code from the widget source and pasted into the index file.

Posted Image

need to sort out that title/header .....

Edited by jonbey, 18 September 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#36 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Very nice! Instantly looks more modern and 'designed'. The green/yellow boxes look really good to :)

#37 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks. It is limited though as the widget just replaced a Wordpress text widget, so the recent posts / comments and anything other wordpress widget cannot be styled in the same way.

I guess I could pick one colour for the other .side-widget's and change the CSS - that would probably work. But most would be the same colour. Maybe keep those a blue colour?

#38 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Dig into the plugin's css files and you can probably just copy/paste its style(s).

#39 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

blue plus green and yellow, black text on white background...
sounds like me and my bruising after going a few rounds with one of your exercise regimes...

Silliness aside, looks nice and clean, Jon.
Not too sure of your content order though. After a week or 100+ visitors, whichever comes first, to set conversion benchmarks you might test a different order...

And now a Russian section! Awesome.

#40 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

Russian section rather small. If it were any smaller it would not exist! Need to review that. I have a Russian translator at hand, the idea is that she gets some of the revenue, should any other Russian's ever read it!

Funny, as I was planning another card sorting thingy for the content ordering. I do need to work out what is best.... somehow!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users