• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

OK, following feedback from other places (wed design forum and fivesecondtest) I have made some more changes.

Feedback was largely:
  • dated design
  • dull font - not changed
  • pastel colours are dull and old fashioned
  • links should not be underlined (are on hover only now)
  • headers too big
  • to little space around headers
  • too much shadow effect on sidebar boxes
  • too many sidebar boxes
So, I made some changes.

I am very confused. I may pop over to netmums, or similar, to get some feedback .... I am trying to make a site that appeals to all....

Maybe something more like this site to appeal to men and women?

What do you guys think?

#42 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

More changes ........ lost some colour along the way......

Posted Image

#43 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Lose all the bits and bobs above the grey top box, you don't need 'you are here on hm page' or the like buttons as the first thing.

Headings - a bit better - their comments were the same as I said - you tend towards big black text to grab attention and that's the wrong way to go about it. Reduce the heading size! The line spacing on the snippets is too big and remove the 'discuss it' link, no one is going to comment before reading - so they don't need it and it makes the action they should take less definite.

Your text font is fine, I imagine what they mean is you don't get creative for the inserts like the top box.

Images look much better all the same size/shape - but loose the heavy double border. A single thin grey or blue line in the same colour as the sidebars will look better and less dated.

That grey heading box is ugly, sorry :) Have a look at how other sites do that sort of layout and pick something eg a full width image with text over, an image that fills the width of the site... not thick borders and no grey.

I'd try make the top menu bold and lower case, I think that will be easier to read and look better - hard to tell without seeing.

Is it based on wordpress? Have you tried looking at magazine style templates.

#44 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Many, Many thanks Tam.

It is a Magazine based theme!

Making changes now, will post new screenshot in a moment.

#45 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

OK. The things I have not done:
  • remove breadcrumb from home (cannot work out how atm),
  • reduced grey! - funny, as the background is an image .... today I removed most of image and back to basics. If I can find/create a perfect image then that would be better.....
Done: header font smaller, logo slogan bigger, headings re-written, "discuss it" removed, image border changed, menu lower case, header font changes, social buttons moved down. Plus, menu words changed to something more meaningful.

Posted Image

#46 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Maybe something like this could work? http://t2.ftcdn.net/...47ID2pq6ViH.jpg

esp. as it is a very autumnal look.

hmmmm

#47 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Loads better, The top menu looks great! Less like your shouting and easier to read - people read mixed case text more easily as they recognise the letter shapes better - it's a usability thing.

I do like that image, try putting it in to fill the top box and putting the text over it - obviously you'll need to change the text colour and maybe darken the area under the text a bit so it's clear.

Attached Thumbnails

• tmp_mothealth3.jpg

#48 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

I love the way proper designers can do stuff like that! I have to do everything live .... bad, bad, practice I know. But a man has gotta know his limitations!

#49 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

of course, using that image is completely reliant on me being able to find it again!

#50 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I love the way proper designers can do stuff like that! I have to do everything live .... bad, bad, practice I know. But a man has gotta know his limitations!

It's actually much easier than you'd imagine, I don't think I'd count as a 'proper designer', I don't even use photoshop!

I just did print screen to get an image of the site and pasted into a graphics program (I use paintshop pro but anything will work) and then copy n pasted the photo onto a new layer (layers are just like sheets of tracing paper you put different things on them to build the picture). If you use a new layer then you can move things about/hide the layer to see how things look. To put the text on top I used the selection tool to select it (drag a box around the bit you want), copied it and pasted that onto a new layer above the picture. Done :)

Try this: press the print screen button on your keyboard, open paint, press the paste button, click the 'select' tool (looks like a square with a dashed border), click on the image and drag to make a box and press the delete key it gets rid of what you selected. Or cut and paste to move it. Use the flood fill to change a border colour. I don't think paint does layers but you'll be surprised how much you can do :)

It's not a how you'd build a site from scratch but it is a very easy/quick way to try about basic changes.

#51 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

OK, new homepage idea. Live on site. 

Does it look:

1. Great!
  2. Stupid!
  3. Good idea, poorly executed.

?

#52 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Before I dive in I have some questions:

1. who are your target users and do you have several different types?

2. If several, how well do you know what they need and why they want it?

3. What is your #1 site goal?   Ecom, sales leads, info, etc.?

4. Do you want your pages optimized for organic SEO and accessibility?

#53 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

1. Target users - everybody ... or anyone who is looking for the info I have on the site ... does that make sense?

2. Hmmmmm, search I guess.

3. No 1. goal - help the world become a happier and fitter place, while earning enough to run the site and my home .... I guess sales (advertising)

4. Yes. Is it that bad????

Just had another wacky idea .... order the columns into 4 categories with big bold text, on its side, at the top of each. 

That will probably break most of the rules.

#54 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

1. Target users - everybody ... or anyone who is looking for the info I have on the site ... does that make sense?

Yes, makes sense but not for design purposes.  Different types of people are looking for different things and they have different habits.  Do you have Google Analytics plugged iin?

2. Hmmmmm, search I guess.

That's all?  Just come and browse the site?  I'm guessing you want them to do something while on the site?

3. No 1. goal - help the world become a happier and fitter place, while earning enough to run the site and my home .... I guess sales (advertising)

Nice but not enough for design purposes.  They won't trust/buy from you unless they have good reasons to.  This needs improvement.

4. Yes. Is it that bad????

Let's just say there's LOTS of ways to improve this.

How would you feel about taking a "snapshot" of where your site is at right now with GA and any other data tool you like.  I'll show you how to improve the site for conversions here and we re-test the data and use it as a case study for the forums?  I think Jim would love that!   We help you, you help us :)

#55 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

The images with no text do not appeal to me.  

I want more specific information about what I should expect if I click through.   I don't want to spend my time going on a treasure hunt.   If I see a person with dumbells I don't know if you are selling dumbbells, recommending workouts, have articles about weight training... what am I going to get?

At the bottom of this page I see images with descriptions.  I like that a lot better. 

I used to be really athletic like some of the people you have in the illustrations - so the content behind them might have appealed to me then.   However, now I am an old fart and images that are a bit less athletic might be more descriptive of what i am looking for.  Someone with no athletic background is going to be intimidated by some of the images.  They might view your site as "out of reach" - even though some of the images on your homepage appear to feature "typical people".   

I think that a few "over the top" images weigh heavily in people's minds.   I am not going to click them - and I come from that background.

So, like Kim says, who are you targeting?   If your site is for hardcores then you have the right images.  If your site is for the average guy or gal,.... then your images might be "over-the-top" and intimidating. 

#56 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Your site has a very wide range of content topics.... so, maybe a homepage that does this.......

1) makes it easy for everyone to find category pages - where they can browse content for their topic of interest

2) shows new visitors your most popular content

3) shows returning visitors your newest content

4) has a search box that everyone can use  (you have this)

#57 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

"just search" - I meant that I only know what they need based on what they are searching for before coming to the site - most traffic from search engines.

Lots of good advice on the images. Before adding them the homepage was exactly as it is below the images, i.e. from Be Healthy. 

I added the images as I felt that when people arrive on the homepage they do not really see what the site has to offer, and the popularity of Pinterest and Google's development of its image search thing, I thought, "hey, maybe people like to browse by image, maybe if I had more images and less text people would learn more about the site, or at least see something that attracts their attention, more than the usual "how to...." stuff".. 

But the text on the images - just remembered something I actually did for a client once (changing chelmsford) .... larger images, some text, and a hover wobble. Maybe I should consider something like that.

Case Study, could be an idea, although I am a bit cagey about sharing some of the keyword seo stuff now as it is rather a competitive area.

#58 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Case study is on persuasive design only.  We can limit it to:

layout

information architecture

calls to action

#59 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3703 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Best iteration yet!

1. Love the sidebar boxes. Good calls to action above the fold, and good info links to deep in the site below the fold. Also love the trust box as well.

2. Agree that the top images need accompanying text. I think just a caption overlaid over each one would work fine. (like http://css-tricks.co...cks-over-image/ as a simple example, though it can get much fancier)

That's all I have to say at the moment, but I like it a lot.

#60 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Here is a site that I believe has a great presentation on their homepage.  

Images are high quality...  small enough that lots of them are visible above the fold and with minimal scrolling.

The text is  very clear,  very short,  elicits interest,  often provocative.

... and they mix in a few ads.

http://www.newser.com/

I bet that they have a very low bounce rate, a very high engagement rate, and they do really well with their ad income.

#61 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

I don't like it at all, sorry :)

What does a stock photo of women holding a bunch of vegetables or a woman in a pink tracksuit mean? There is no compelling headline to make me want to click through and the images aren't unique enough to do it by themselves. Have you checked your analytics? Did your bounce rate chance when the layout did - better or worse?

The area below them is better, although you could do with cropping your thumbnails to set sized squares so it sits together a bit neater.

That's one loooong page though. I recently tried out mouseflow.com - they have a free trial. One of the reports is how far down a page users scroll. I'd be very tempted to install that and see how far they get. I imagine you'll find they don't get anywhere near the bottom and there is a lot of content you could remove.

I might help you to check some basic marketing books out, forget online stuff general things Kim is talking about apply whatever the medium. Flick through a mens magazine and a womens one and look at the adverts - very different. Now one for 'older' people. They want different things and are persuaded by different marketing. It's fine to cater for different people but sometimes being generic mean you're not attractive to anyone.

I often start off with a spider diagram, your site in the middle and the different people that you want to target. So you might have the people that are looking for a quick fix to prepare for something eg loose x before a party, or people that have decided they need to be fitter in general eg just a little regular exercise or you might have gym nuts wanting new exercise routines. They are all going to want different content presented in different ways and want to find it easily.

#62 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

Don't apologise!

I wonder if I will be better off tweaking the post excerpts again - I think I can set the shape and size of the thumbnails, and could just have titles and not the extra text... 

#63 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Back to basics time.

I think I have been trying to make things easy by automating the homepage too much. Going to design a homepage instead, then updated as needed. Will still have the latest posts on the page.

#64 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I like this design.  The "Be Healthy" and "Get Fit" menus at the top direct new visitors to very high quality content that is basic information.

Below you have images and descriptions for a diversity of articles.  The right sidebar has links to more information.

I don't think that the images should be intimidating to anyone.

I just started to do click tracking on my homepage with clicky.com.   In the past I used crazyegg but if you have image links and text links they are counted separately.   With clicky they are combined.  And, I can code them in a way that I can segregate links from different pages of the site.

This is going to give me the ability to promote the strongest content and experiment with thumbnail images to see which is most productive.

#65 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

To avoid confusion - I have today moved the new image columns which were inspired by Pinterest to the bottom of the page.

I still want the home page to look more..... better. 

#66 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

OK, just bought the pro version of the theme I have been using. Something new coming soon ...... 

#67 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

What are your conversion rates?  Bounce? New vs return users? 

You're struggling now because of the opinions and feedback, which are important but your response is to make an instant change.  Understandable.  

I respectfully recommend that you stand back, access, organize and plan.  

1. Gather your data first.  This is your guide to the overall response to the site.

2.Choose the top 3 products you want to sell.

3. Research who your competitors are for those products.

3.Carefully choose the top 4 reasons why your site is the better choice over your competitors for those products.

Next,

1.Based on your data, which do your users need the most?  (What keywords are they using to find your site?)

Information?  Products?  Community?

2. Address the #1 need first, above the page fold. 

Ex. Info - Text statement about the info the site provides, with USP, and call to action button to a page that explains how to get more info.

Ex. Products - Feature one of them only above the page fold, with USP, add call to action button to the product page.  NO SLIDER. They don't convert.

Ex. Community - Text statement with screenshot of forums, with USP, testimonial, add call to action button to go here.

Next,

1. Inspire the WANT to have.  

2. The top half of the homepage is followed up with reasons to WANT to join, read, buy.

This is where the creativity UX and SEO mix.  I'll do some sketches for ideas and post.

Sidebar

Too unorganized.  Will make a sketch.

Homepage

Too long.  The clump of images at the bottom are not earning their keep.

Look at your homeage with images turned off to see what engines and special needs users see.  It's very confusing.

Footer

Will sketch what goes there.

PS - update your copyright year

PSS - Go find every possible reason why you should be trusted for this information.  It's a health site.  What qualifies you to offer advice?  This is vital for persuasive design.

What theme?

#68 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Listen to Kim!

You're home page is much to long, you need to plan and narrow down and work out the absolutely essential ingredients to get it to do what you want, and first you need to decide what you want it to do!

And you need hard data, there is a thread I started last week about click tracking with google analytics. I though on my homepage, I would need to split between people looking for a service and people advertising their service with me - logical right? So I had a big box taking up half the front page with saying 'advertise your service here' but when I checked the numbers - no one ever clicked it. It was too early to present that to them or they were using a different link. So I chucked it.

Look at your stats, does anyone ever reach your homepage and then click on 'Jordan Burroughs – Olympic Champion'? If not it's taking up space withno benefit to you.

You've got analytics installed what are they telling you?

#69 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thanks.

Explanation of the homepage: Apart from the very first bit ("Be Healthy" and "Get Fit" ) the rest is the latest posts in each of the main categories. It is still a blog at heart, but rather than showing all latest posts in order, it is now split by category (this was the weekend update).

I will go through Kim's questions tomorrow and attempt to provide the information requested. However, as the whole site just had an update it would probably make sense to give this a week to assess how things are. Bounce rate has already dropped by 5%.

But, this thread was initially about the homepage, and most of the time people are looking at articles, not the homepage. I am guessing that improved sidebars will probably make a bigger difference than the actual homepage - but I do still want the top part to be better for the newcomers.

As for the homepage being too long, I still think that it should be more like theGuardian (16 pages, mine is only 11!) than a "splash page". Although there is still more I want to do with it to trim down excerpts etc.

#70 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

The guardian is a little overwhelming, how about the telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ?

If you compare both to your homepage though the exacts are all formatted in boxes with labels and headings to guide you to the bit you want.

#71 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Quite neat. The video strip gives me an idea! 

#72 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4453 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

OH NO!!!

Jon has an idea...

Should we stop, drop, cover, and roll? (aka beware backdraft fire flash)

or

should we drop, kneel under desk, cover head, and kiss our ... goodbye? (aka beware atomic explosion)

If only he could settle for ye olde incandescent bulb bright idea...

#73 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

IMO this is the best MH homepage design yet.

Organized.  Very easy to scan.  Article titles and images seem accessible to the average person.

I agree that the homepage of this site should be big.  Many diverse topics are covered.  A single person might find multiple topics of interest.

Testing can be done to confirm... but with my site I started out with a few homepage topics and the engagement of people who entered the homepage increased as the number of content choices increased.  I have no idea what the next visitor will want.  It could be anything from a great diversity of topics. 

On interior pages...  the right column...

I think that some image menus there will improve engagement over the text links. 

On interior pages... at the bottom of the articles....

A search box and some image links to related articles will entice people to greater engagement.

#74 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

I was wondering about something . . .

Right now your categories are like so:

Weight Loss Latest

Fitness Latest

Strength Training Latest

Etc.

With the related articles appearing horizontally below the headings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about changing them so they appear like so

Weight Loss Latest        Fitness Latest      Strength Training Latest   Etc.

With the related articles arranged vertically below the headings.

I guess I'm thinking then people would be able to see all the main categories higher up on the page and in theory they'd be more likely to see a main category that appeals to them sooner.

Just a thought.

#75 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thanks Egol. I did once attempt a Mail Online type of sidebar - this certainly works as I use it (I am not a Daily Mail reader, just a researcher!). The article on Doutzen Kroes stands out well today! (also, 860 internal links, 39 external. on the Mail Online homepage - wow).

I know Wordpress has some related posts with images options, so may go for that again - although in the past I did not have images on all posts, or thumbnails, so it never worked. I could potentially put a widget below the articles and then add a series of customised html blocks for specific categories that look like "related" posts - just not automated.

Good idea Walter, but I fear that the content will start to look a bit squeezed, some categories will have to be pushed down a little I think.

If I go for the more imagey sidebar (I am wondering what ideas Kim had, hoping this does not totally conflict) then I can reverse the image order to the homepage so more options are seen on each "fold".

Edited by jonbey, 11 June 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#76 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

and another 8 days passes.....

It's all a bit different.

• New homepage layout
  • new below content stuff
  • new sidebar with images and hover features
  • new email sign-up form
  • new footer things

Next plan is to look at the http://wave.webaim.org report which has been open on my browser for a week .... but after another cup of tea.

#77 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Nice work!

Let us know when you have some metrics to compare  -  before and after.

#78 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

I really like the light blue/grey boxes in the right sidebar.   Very easy to scan for what a person is interested in and although the amount of text and type of text varies, keeping the background size uniform gives it a organized neat look.  I wonder if your "latest" entries in the main content area wouldn't benefit from something similar.  I might try and bump those blue/grey boxes up a little higher.  They really gave me the impression that there was something to learn on this site.  I think they're a really strong feature.

P.S.  I think the background helps make the pictures "pop" a little more, though I'm not sure why

Edited by Walter, 19 June 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#79 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Walter. But what to bump down?

There is a feature in the next theme release which will make managing the content on the main latest posts easier (of it is released and if it works as I hope it will!) so I am holding on until then.

In fact, today I switched themes (without breaking the site this time) and am now on a child theme, so in theory, come the next update I won't lose all my theme edits. 

#80 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

But what to bump down?

Well that's the question.

I think in my mind you want to establish credibility as fast and soon as possible.   See what other people have to say, but for me those blurbs in the right hand column made a strong positive statement about the sites credibility.  Maybe for other people the social sharing stuff does that, but not so much for me.   The sign up box, it looks smaller than it did before but while I think it needs to be prominent, it doesn't involve any action a visitor might take until after they've decided the site is credible so I'm not sure it needs to be right there. A horizontal layout near the top of the header?  I wonder if incorporating the "Why you can trust" us bit into the area with the picture of the girl stretching wouldn't be a good idea.  There are some orange boxes beside that picture that I can't figure out and the picture could be moved to the left to make more space if they were gone. 

Again, wait and see what other people have to say, but for me those content boxes in the right sidebar really had a positive impact.   The only think I might change is the "Recommended" to something like "Get Started" or "Basics" or something like that and I might tone the button down a bit.

Tweeking here and there aside, the sites really looking nice. 

Walter

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users