• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whittier

whittier

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

I am a new member of this forum, and I hope someone can offer me advice regarding the sale of my reputation-related domain names:

ReputationAlerts.com
ReputationAlerts.net
ReputationReports.com

There are domain auction sites such as GoDaddy.com and Sedo.com. I am familiar with GoDaddy as a domain registrar and hosting company, but I have no experience with their domain auction service.

There is a lot of available information on buying domain names, but I cannot find practical information on how to sell a domain name and/or appraise its value.

If you know an effective way to sell these domain names at a fair price, or know of a prospective buyer, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

whittier

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5409 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

There are appraisal services available at sites like sedo.com. There you tell them the domain and they give you a report that considers factors such as length, commercial relevance, search volume, extension and others to come up with a price.

I have used these services and their values seem to be reasonable, however, when it comes to the actual buying and selling the buyers always want to pay a LOT less and sellers always insist on a LOT more.

So, appraisals from my experience are irrelevant when you have someone who wants a specific domain for a specific project and someone who has a big inventory of nice domains and is sitting on them in wait for that person with a project (and collecting a little ad income from type-ins until that happens).

ReputationAlerts and ReputationReports sound like domains that could be sold for a nice amount of money if you can connect with the person who has a project.... be sure that they can get in touch with you if they visit the domain or do a whois search.

Edited by EGOL, 20 May 2011 - 07:12 AM.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4385 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

have they ever had any content on them? I see that they are on parked pages and all PR0. This is not a great selling point.

#4 whittier

whittier

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

EGOL,

Thanks a lot for your sage advice -- it is the practical information I needed. You confirmed my thoughts about the issues with domain name appraisal.

It would be great to find a searchable list of completed domain name transactions (domain name, sale price and date). Is this information available from the domain auction sites or other sources?

My domains were registered for development of an online reputation management business. If I am going to sell these domains at a reasonable price, I need to find buyers with a similar requirement.

Thanks again.

#5 whittier

whittier

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

jonbey,

The only content is a custom "Domains for Sale" page, and each site is PR0.

If the price is determined by a formula, with factors such as PageRank, I will be lucky to sell my domains for a small fraction of their worth to a reputation management business.

whittier

#6 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

For domain sales it's almost impossible to give an "average value" as there are so many variables.

If your domain had some PR then you can usually get a rough idea. These are REALLY rough figures, but a PR4 domain could sell for $100-$400, a PR5 could be $600-$900 or so. These are for domains with no real keyword value though.

However, if you have a really in demand domain such as a single keyword it could go for thousands, even tens of thousands. Heck if you had something like cellphones.com it could go for hundreds of thousands or millions.

Your domains would be really hard to put a value on because it depends on what kind of a demand there is for the keywords. Your best bet would be to find people with similar domains and contact them by email to tell them that you will be selling soon and they are welcome to put in an offer. I recently got an email like this from someone who had a real estate related domain for sale on ebay.

The other idea would be to put a simple page up on each domain that says, "This domain is for sale...contact....". I recently wanted to buy a domain name that wasn't being used. I am having a heck of a time tracking down someone to see if they want to sell it. So, you need to make sure that people can find you if they want that domain.

I did buy a domain that I would consider comparable to yours...it was a two keyword phrase that will be useful to me...but not likely useful to a lot of people. I was willing to pay a couple of thousand for it, but the owner of the domain asked for $500 which was a steal.

Some other places where I have bought domains are namejet.com and snapnames.com and then you can check out ebay as well.

And...if you do end up selling your domain for a decent amount you may want to use an escrow service such as escrow.com to make it a safe transaction. It worked well for me.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users