• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

I just watched seomoz's WBF about mobile SEO.

One of the things they talked about was checking your Analytics to see how often mobile users use your site. To do so, on the top right corner where it says, "All Visits", click this and then just check "mobile" (assuming you are using Google Analytics).

I was shocked to find out that 18% of my visitors over the last month came via a mobile device.

I've looked at my site on my blackberry and it sucks. It's too image heavy and takes ages to load.

I'm wondering if I should devote some time to making it mobile friendly...I'm going to spend some time pouring over this post. I don't know if it is as simple as creating a new style sheet for my site or if I should have a mobile subdomain.

At this point I really don't want to put a lot of time into this as I have LOTS of other projects on the go, but if there is a relatively quick fix then I will do it.

What percentage of your visits are from mobile devices?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

My site gets just a couple percent from mobile. So I am not too concerned about it at this time.

I have an iPad and an iPhone and my site looks fine on them. The pages open up to full width and I can expand a column and read easily.

I visited your site and it looked perfect on the iPad. On the iPhone the site was wider than the screen but anyone who wants to read it will expand a column to get the type large enough for reading.

I think that mobile equipment is getting better at displaying websites and that may reduce the need for websites adapting to mobile.

I am sure that lots of people will disagree with me - especially the hard core mobile people. But I'd like to hear some of their thoughts on this.

#3 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for looking at my site! That's good to know that it renders ok.

It turns out that I actually get a decent number of conversions from mobile traffic so it must be doing relatively well. I guess blackberries are not great for surfing the web...my next phone may be an iphone.

#4 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

I'm seeing about 2 - 5 % in all the websites I'm involved with. I still feel that you should be delivering a lot less content in a much simplified format to a small screen. If your business is targeting the mobile market, then the website should be designed to look good and be user-friendly on that small screen.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4645 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

The great failure I see when people start talking mobile is they get the context and constraints wrong by designing to what they assume mobile users want. Actually, increasingly, mobile users are doing (or want to do) pretty much what they also do via their desktop. Mobile Activity == Desktop Activity Plus.

I suggest, instead, that the only real constraints, are the various device capabilities and your web optimisation (site features delivery speeds). Instead of working from some perceived mobile use case work from your site content and service offerings. What are the base unique selling points (USPs) of each page? Not 'what makes mobile sense' but what makes visitor sense.

We should take our 'progressive enhancement' (start from the simple basics and add optional embellishments on top) site design principle and extend it to include mobile devices. Plus add in consideration of how our content and services might benefit from portability, location detection, touch input (which is already appearing on desktop monitors), etc.

We need to widen our definition of site webdev not split it into 'mobile' and 'fixed'.
---This in turn means investigating, understanding and utilising some or all of media queries, flexible grids, flexible graphics...
---It means designing seamless user interface switching between oral/aural, touch, mouse, keyboard...
---It means considering using data:urls in your mobile mark-up; putting images back inline HTML (in specific instances only) to reduce http requests...
---It means that webdev is undergoing a sea change and very few people, including webdevs, have noticed the growing tsunami...

We webdevs should change our mindset from designing sites as a collection of pages to designing sites as systems. Increased complexity means increased opportunity and ongoing employment. And those are good things.

In one sense I am finding it easy to adapt because I already thought of my sites as systems. However, it is also a royal pain because I am so energised by the possibilities that it is threatening my semi-retirement...

Ding dang but the future looks exciting...

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

If I have an information site I think that my attitude about mobile should be very different from they guy who owns a drive-in or walk-in business. For them, mobile should include a big measure of "how to get here!" .

The guy who has a site that teaches you about auto repair has a lower need for mobile than the guy with a tow truck and a garage who you are going to call when your car breaks down.

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4645 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

The guy who has a site that teaches you about auto repair has a lower need for mobile than the guy with a tow truck and a garage who you are going to call when your car breaks down.

For now ... but in one of my niches my 'evergreen' content is drawing an increasing mobile percentage because of the direct sold ads and coupons offered, it was less than 2% two years ago, is fluctuating between 20 and 25% in last few months.

The rest of my niches have gone from zip to 3 to 5% so even they are seeing an increase.

Remember that 'mobiles' are the majority of computer sales now... at current uptake rates ... ????

Anyway, it is all loads of fun :)

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

If you would have asked me one year ago if I would be buying digital products to use in a mobile phone I would have kicked you out of my office... yet in the past few months I have spend a few hundred dollars on books, apps and subscriptions. People change - and I change a lot slower than most. I don't like to try new technology.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users