• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

I searched around a little bit too and couldn't find a hard refresh button / combination of buttons similar to the CTRL + F5 in Firefox. I read somewhere that the platform which Chrome has been built on, doesn't allow instant refreshes.

I like Chrome because its faster than Firefox (specially with all my Firefox Addons) but it doesn't have a hard refresh which makes it hard to use when programming/designing and constantly uploading.

Anyone else has the same problem with Chrome? Or is there a key set that actually does a hard refresh?

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

That's strange.

I did some checking and you can find in Google's description of keyboard shortcuts that Control + F5 will do a hard refresh. On the other hand via the Forum people are still complaining as you do even until quite recently.

So wherein lies the truth? :emo_gavel:

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

Okay, what is a "hard refresh" and how does that differ from reloading the page?

#4 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

The issue identified in the Forum discussion is that sometimes when refreshing a web page in Chrome, if the first element is unchanged from the previous time, then it may not download other elements in the web page. Those in the discussion seemed to find that this persisted and there was no way to force all elements to be checked.

The description in the Help for Chrome suggested that all elements would be downloaded and the cached elements would be abandoned. I believe this is what is meant by a hard refresh.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4363 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

Although I like Chrome, I for no scientific reason like it better than FF, I do get some really annoying problems with it, especially with the caching thing.

I notice that if I run ccleaner it deleted loads from Chrome, up to 5000Mb of stuff. Often Ctrl-F5 does not refresh a page even when I know I have updated a webpage. I also sometime get problems updating my wordpress site in chrome, then try FF and it works fine.

So, some bugs I guess.

#6 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

CCleaner seems to be a great program, jonbey. It's a new one for me and cleaned up an extra 1.2 Gb off my hard drive even though I have used other programs to do the same job. Thanks for mentioning it.

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4363 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

I have been using it for years. I rely on total trust as I have no idea how it works mind you! Chrome certainly gets faster again after a ccleaner zap.

#8 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

I haven't noticed any cache retention issues with Chrome but I do frequently clear the history. Perhaps that has hidden the problem from me.

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4363 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

One problem I get with Chrome is that updating a Wordpress post sometimes takes forever, or at least seems to. Sometimes I cannot even log in. As soon as I go to Incognito is all works fine though.

#10 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

I have now downloaded ccleaner too. Will test it out for sure.

My problem with firefox is that its a resource hog

#11 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:50 AM

I rarely have a problem with posting to blogs or forums but occasionally something will hang. I have seen this problem with other browsers besides Chrome, though.

I wonder if we just need to clean out our cache folders more often than most people normally do. I'm not sure why I started cleaning my Chrome cache but I now do it several times a week. It's probably because of what I see on the New Tab for "Most Visited" sites.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users