Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Using Facebook Login For Leaving Comments On Blog?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1034 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

I had seen this on some websites and then i read about it on SEOMoz blog .

What do you think of using Facebook login for leavin comments? I was kind of reluctant to leave comments in places that i had to use my facebook login (mainly for privacy reasons - even though my facebook is 100% private)

#2 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

As a site owner, I like the idea that if someone leaves a comment on my facebook comments section then it gets posted in their friend's news feeds. And if their friends comment, it gets added to my page. It has brought some extra attention to my site.

My main issue is that I can't find a place where you can moderate comments. If you go to facebook.com/insights there is data on how many comments have been left, but I can't see a place where I can moderate the comments. If you have thousands of pages on your site, it's going to be difficult to moderate comments.

The other issue, like you said, is that some people may be reluctant to comment if it's going to go on their facebook page.

Some have had issues with the fact that these comments are iframed. But there are solutions available to make the comments crawlable.

I do like the idea, but if I could figure out how to moderate the comments I would be happier!

#3 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1034 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

Perhaps its the right solution for social type websites not so much for business or professional websites

Or maybe for business websites that can utilize social aspect of it for brand building (Pepsi, Ford, Best Buy , etc)

Edited by mrgoodfox, 05 June 2011 - 01:03 PM.

#4 denialseo

denialseo

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

You can moderate comments by adding this line to your web page:
<meta property="fb:admins" content="{YOUR_FACEBOOK_USER_ID}"/>

Full details here: http://developers.fa...ugins/comments/

#5 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

I do it on some news sites but I'm not really happy about using Facebook. I prefer Disqus if sites want to use a 3rd party commenting service.

#6 JVRudnick

JVRudnick

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

If you're thinking on this, ie adding it...do go and read both Marks postings on adding FB to his blog here -- http://www.awebguy.c...s-to-your-blog/ -- and Danny's post on Rand's test here -- http://searchenginel...ok-shares-80601 -- all good to know eh!

Oh, not truly on point but enough to give one some reflection on same, eh!

:-)

Jim

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users