• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

Not sure I see how that affects my question?

#42 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

Having the hub makes sense but as Donna just pointed out, you can only make the formula work on sites where you control the link attributes. That pretty much rules out most social media sites, but bloggers could collaborate to swap profile page links.

#43 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4398 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

Sorry, I meant to use your own domain as a hub, not another website / social media site.

Funny thing is, I know that in the past a site I have used did offer the option of setting "rel", but I cannot remember what it was.

#44 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Man, I've been following this thread but I am still really confused!

#45 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5441 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

I think that it would be nice if the search engines published an article with a cartoon of some webpages on various sites. The cartoon would show the link network that might develop between a small group of sites with article and author pages.

Also might be a great linkbait idea for an SEO rockstar. :)

Edited by EGOL, 13 June 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#46 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

Anyone want to place a bet on how long it takes before "rel='me'" link circle farming persona nets become all the link building rage?

#47 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4398 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

Will SEO' really do thisthough? Unless each site has good content (as rated by the Google content quality ratings brought in with Panda) then linking them all up surely will do no good at all. And if an SEO has gone to great lengths to ensure that his network of sites are not interconnected in any way then they will not be running to implement rel="me".

I am guessing (a big guess admittedly) that the only people who use this are those that are most passionate about their writing and would like a way to tie together their work to help promote themselves further. Although if there is an SEO boost, then I guess some people will work out a way to get some advantage from it without tripping too many wires.

#48 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:00 AM

Michael, I don't quite understand what kind of link circle spam issues you see coming. Do you mean that I might buy an older, trusted author profile and integrate it with my own profile with rel=me links? I'm not quite sure how blocking PageRank from passing on those links would change much in that regard, but I agree that it's something worth keeping an eye on.

Donna, the Twitter link to your site is actually with rel=me :-), Facebook as well (at least as far as I can tell). Linkedin seems to use a redirector and doesn't use rel=me though. Which other profiles would you need? It would be interesting to compile a list of the relevant ones, not the least to encourage the others to add it as well.

Cheers
John

#49 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

Ha! I didn't realize that both twitter and facebook link to my site with rel=me. Cool!

Obviously, that's really just luck on our parts though, as we can't force any other 3rd party sites to use it, but yes I'm sure the big Goog could "encourage" other major ones to add it. :)

It's too early in the morning for me to think of which sites should be added to the list, but I'm sure we can all come up with a good list.

#50 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

Michael, I don't quite understand what kind of link circle spam issues you see coming. Do you mean that I might buy an older, trusted author profile and integrate it with my own profile with rel=me links? I'm not quite sure how blocking PageRank from passing on those links would change much in that regard, but I agree that it's something worth keeping an eye on.

Scenario 1:

I'm a spammer. I just set up 50 blogs on fresh domains. I spend the next 12 months populating them with innocuous posts under the pseudonym of "John Doe". I interlink them in an Author HubNet.

During those 12 months I Tweet and socially promote occasional high-value posts from each blog and earn a smattering of natural links. I of course also rely on the autoposting industry to spit my RSS feeds in every direction possible and show up on various credible sites like "AllTop", "Business-such-and-such", etc.

At the end of the 12 months I can leverage that blog network in several ways, including (but not necessarily limited to):
  • Selling relevant links
  • Promoting my own made-for-advertising network
  • "Boosting" link spam networks
  • Leveraging the "John Doe" name into helping launch spam blogs
Scenario 2:

I'm a freelance writer who sells his articles to the highest (or most willing) contractor. I spend the next 12 months writing for 50 blogs that allow me to create an Author HubNet.

At the end of the 12 months I sell my HubNet (logins and passwords) to the highest bidder and start building a new one.

Scenario 3:

I'm a subscription blog network operator. I set up 2,000 blogs. I invite 25 of my nearest and dearest SEO friends to populate the blog networks with content published under personas they create. The only rule: No spinning.

At the end of 12 months I have 2,000 blogs I can leverage into a new link-placement service with credible author personas shoring it up.

Scenario 4:

I'm a hacker and I find a large number of orphaned blogs. I hack them, create Author HubNets, and sell the Author HubNets to various miscreants and scoundrels who are willing to risk being caught in order to launch all sorts of malware blogs, low-value link farms, etc.

In short

What I am suggesting, John, is that the envelope is going to be pushed in every direction, every way possible, and in ways that neither you nor I can imagine. But it IS going to be pushed.

So the less value those links are perceived to have with respect to gaming search results, the better for all of us because that makes it more likely that the only people who would be interested in building Author HubNets are career-minded freelancers and professional opinionators who want to be invited to write for prestigious Websites.

That incentivizes the creation and distribution of what most would regard as "high quality" content. I think it also helps blunt the sharp edge of Webspam innovation just a little.

Guys like me will be impacted by any growth in spam methodologies because we operate Websites that spammers target for all manner of solicitations.

And I haven't even touched on the intellectual property rights issues that corporations are going to face (probably sooner than the freelancers and employees realize) with new contract language.

Edited by Michael_Martinez, 14 June 2011 - 02:23 PM.

#51 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5441 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

All of those Scenarios sound possible, Michael.

The ones that I worry about are not on your list - maybe they are not possible.

I worry that if I have a big portfolio of articles that someone else might be able to start spoofing my author identity to promote works that don't belong to me.

Or... grab the identity of one of my competitors and use it against me.

I also worry about the intellectual property side of this. Does an author own his identity or do the people who have paid him for pieces of work each own a piece of it? I'd hate to see people with identities like EGOL@TheCompanyStore

#52 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4398 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think I may try to build a hub. As you know, since JohnMu's naughty Panda got stuck into my main site I have been looking for alternative revenue streams. I may just go and create that central hub. Much like all roads leading to Rome, all my articles will lead to me. I think I'll spruce up my "pro blogging" site and maybe set a simple pricing structure (none at the moment, and one person I was talking yesterday just did not understand how it worked..)

No idea how many articles I have written in the last 5 years. A Fair few no doubt. Must count for something.

#53 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

No idea how many articles I have written in the last 5 years. A Fair few no doubt. Must count for something.

Other possibilities include combining those articles into a book or using them as the basis for a membership site.

Just ran across a tool that might be useful to you: http://anthologize.org/ which says: Use the power of WordPress to transform online content into an electronic book. Easily pull content from blogs. Drag & drop organization & layout. Generate your book & publish in print & digital formats.

#54 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4398 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:58 AM

Is there a BB code way of saying rel="me"?

See sig, the start of a mini promo hub. Sitting by the phone, waiting for some new business ....

#55 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

A forum owner could define a custom signature link code that adds the "rel='me'" (and "rel='nofollow'" too, I guess).

#56 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

And now there's new info from Google:

http://insidesearch....-in-search.html

and

http://www.google.co...?answer=1229920

Many of you create great content on the web, and we work hard to make that content discoverable on Google. Today, we will start highlighting the people creating this content in Google.com search results.

Why? Because authorship is a great way to identify and highlight high-quality content. Plus, the web is centered around people. People discovering content on the web often want to learn more about its author, see other content by that author, and even interact with the author.

We’re piloting this new search experience with a small sample of authors who have linked their Google profile with their content.

I'm too tired to even try to understand the help center info tonight. It was just a bunch of words to me. Will look at it later.

#57 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Something to think about, I suppose. I guess it's connected to their push into social media.

I have other concerns these days but I may try it out.

#58 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5441 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

I want to do this.

However, I am feeling like I am in an arms race with all of this author, +1, schema, review stars, etc. stuff being rolled out... if you are work at a small biz where a few people have to do everything there is a limit on what you can do to respond.

The more of these things that get rolled out the more the big companies have an advantage and the more the little guy will be strangled.

So, I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for other to throw their crap against the wall and when I see what is sticking for them I might throw some of my own.

#59 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4398 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

Google have now added authors to search.

Mine is obviously not set up right at the moment!

I think maybe you need to link to your Google Profile and use that as the hub for it to work at the moment.

#60 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Details of how author profiles appear in Google Search are provided here:
Highlighting content creators in search

#61 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

Saw this today and it was very helpful: http://www.blindfive...ment-rel-author

Nice and easy explanation.

Unfortunately for me, when I got to the testing bit, it showed me that apparently I've done nothing right. I just get an "Insufficient data" message. Bah.

#62 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Ok, the fine folks over at Raven Tools have created a little tool to help everyone do these things more easily.

First, they introduced the "what is the tool all about" on their blog at http://raventools.co..._source=Twitter

We picked the six most popular schema types, and then added the most popular item properties to a form. Enter data into the form automatically creates your HTML with microdata for you.

As you fill out the form, a preview is instantly updated on the screen.

After you finish filling out the form, you can click on the code in the text area, and then copy and paste it into your HTML document.

Schema Creator is designed to get you started with microdata, which means it doesn’t provide you with every possible schema type and item property. However, it should give you enough data to help you understand how to enhance or build your own schema types.

The actual tool lives at http://schema-creator.org/

Have fun!

#63 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2043 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

Does anyone else have problems with too many completely different hats. I mean, do I want to link my various sites/blog posts etc. I author about animals with stuff I author about childcare. I wrote it all, but with different hats. It's the same thing that puts me off about soc networking. I want to be me which is, what is generally considered important for building trust, but there are several me's each relevant to different topics.

#64 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5441 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

About "wearing different hats".... if those hats go together then by all means wear both of them. If you have articles about knitting and articles about weaving those go together... but if you also write about hydraulic jacks then maybe you need multiple profile pages.

Rabbits and childcare might not be a bad blend... kids like rabbits... both require knowledge, patience and care... I think it is all about how you blend them.

#65 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

You can bank on the house of cards collapsing or you can ride the pony until it's too tired to run any more. Or you can stand aside and let the mob usher in a new age or you can cautiously foollow in the footsteps of people more adventurous and daring than you.

Or you can rise above these temptations to promulgate your wisdom across the Web and simply be all that you can be.

Or you can jump on the bus and laugh heartily at those who mingle and mutter as they fall behind you in the distance.

Or you can take the blue pill and forget all this and go back to being who you were and what you were.

In other words, in short, to be less verbose about the whole business: Do what you want to do and let everything else work itself out. There will be plenty of time to reconsider things either way later on.

"It is said: 'Do not go to the elves for advice, for they will answer you in both Sindarin and Quenya and then refer to Martinez for a definitive explanation either way.'"

#66 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

Google has actually published a more in-depth discussion of Authorship rules in their Help section.

I have modified my Google Plus User Profile page to link to various sites that I am claiming authorship for. In turn, I have set three blogs to point to that profile page. My personal Website is only being linked to by the Google Plus Proifle at this point.

There are limitations in Wordpress that I have to find or figure out workarounds for. Google linked to a plugin that really doesn't provide an adequate solution.

The Google profile page also lets you designate a site that "about me" so I don't know where that takes you but I assigned that attribute to my personal domain.

#67 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4398 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:29 AM

What limitations have you found with Wordpress? Hope I am not doing anything wrong. I am just using the Wordpress bio box to point to the about page.

#68 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

Ok, so... I finally got this working on my DD blog. Now, I of course can't ever seem to do anything the way everyone else does, but hey, I yam wut I yam. For instance, I've always entered guest posts under my own login name but since I never displayed the author meta data (instead typed in their name by hand in the post), I didn't care. Well, if I wanted to be able to distinguish authors via code, that was a problem. Ok, simple enough, I thought. They are all in a specific category, so I just created a new user for guest posts, and move all those in the category to the new author. Next step: I only want my own posts to show the author name and link to the about page on my site, and I want to just not deal with it for the guest posts. I thought there'd be an easy is_author() conditional...and I was sorta right...but not. That particular conditional only means "are we on this author's author page?", rather than "is this a particular author?". So on the single.php page, I used this code:

<?php
$by_donna = false;
if($post->post_author == '1') {
$by_donna = true;
}
?>

You'd change donna to your name (or anything really), and the 1 to your user id.

Then, where I wanted to display the link to my about page on single.php (a little further down from that code above), I used this:

<span class="postmetadata">By <a rel="author" href="http://www.dazzlindonna.com/blog/about/">Donna Fontenot</a></span>

So the end result is that all posts by me, show my byline, with a link to my about page (and not the "author" page that WordPress uses*), with a rel="author" attached.

My about page then has a link to my google profile using rel="me".

My google profile has a link back to my about page using rel="me".

Now when I use the rich snippet tool, it shows everything correctly.

Summary:

1. All my DD blog posts link to my DD blog 'about' page using rel="author".
2. My DD blog 'about' page links to my Google profile page using rel="me".
3. My Google profile page links back to my about page using rel="me".

#69 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

What limitations have you found with Wordpress? Hope I am not doing anything wrong. I am just using the Wordpress bio box to point to the about page.

What I was thinking of when I spoke of limitations was the lack of an actual "author bio" page. Sure, I can CREATE a static page but I shouldn't have to. Wordpress allows me to enter all sorts of information about myself but it doesn't publish that information on any specific page.

I could search around for a theme that uses the information but then I'll have to compromise on design and structure.

I could modify the existing themes I'm using to use the information on the "author" page that Wordpress generates (essentially just a list of articles from the author). I've already hacked both Wordpress and one theme to do this, but I hate hacking software because the next upgrade wipes out the hack.

Wordpress is not yet really there for creating an actual author profile page. I would want it to focus on the author and not just lump article summaries together (or full article texts, I guess, if I didn't restrict article references to summaries).

There is a theme I am using on a couple of sites doesn't even produce author pages. I like the theme's visual appearance but I'm probably going to have to find another theme (or create static "About" pages).

#70 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

It looks like you have to check "This page is specifically about me" when you edit/add links in your "About" page for your Google profile in order to get the "rel='me'" attribute.

I don't know why, I just assumed that Google would automatically assume that any site I link to in my profile has something to do with me.

I guess I've made too many self-centered profiles....

#71 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4398 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Ah I see. I am happy to create a static page really. Even if Wordpress did do something in the future for author profiles, you always have more control over a static page. Although a good profile page would be handy for big blogs.

#72 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5441 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am back snooping this rel="author" thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I found an interesting post where the author and lots of commenters are reporting significant traffic gains after claiming authorship of their content.

https://plus.google....sts/Y1VqUkS2E7E

Nearly a 40% increase in traffic since authorship was applied. More evidence that you should be participating in Google's Authorship program.

Click-through rate increased 38 percent by Implementing Google authorship markup with the Rel=Author Tag.

I'm still monitoring but believe it's responsible for an additional 1000-ish daily visitors.

Has anyone here implemented this and is seeing improved traffic.... how about improved rankings? Is that happening yet?

Edited by EGOL, 01 April 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#73 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3815 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hmmm, maybe that's why my site has had a much higher level of traffic - converting traffic no less - than ever before. I haven't had time to investigate it. I've just been wondering why all of a sudden, over the last few weeks, I've been inundated with requests for work. I know that somewhere in the same time range my authorship finally started kicking in. If I ever get a chance to breathe and check it out, I'll let you know. But yeah...that might be why.

#74 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5441 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like a good thing! :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users