8 replies to this topic

#1 Jged

Jged

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best CMS software that is out there please from a budget point of view and ease of use - the simpler the better!

Jged

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4425 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

If money is an issue use open source. Wordpress.org or drupal. If you are just published pages if information then wordpress is good.

#3 Jged

Jged

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Jonbey.

Yes Wordpress seems to tick all the boxes thanks.

I found this info on Wordpress.... it is easy to update content on your website without knowing HTML. Do you hate the idea of having to learn to use a complex HTML editor tool like Dreamweaver? Do you have to “ask” your webmaster every time you want to make a small change to your website? Well no longer – once WordPress is set up for you, you can easily create new pages or edit existing pages using a simple rich text editor.

However if it is that easy it begs the question whether I can charge my normal rate to build a site when arguably they could do it themselves relatively easily it seems? Who needs a web designer!

Jged

#4 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

There are different CMSes for different purposes.

WordPress is ideal for a blog and/or possibly a small static website.

Drupal is great for extensive websites, especially with social functionality, but it can also host an online shop and anything you can dream of, thanks to its flexibility and functionality through contributed modules, namely Views and CCK, which let you present any data in a table, a sideblock or a panel. Panels let you place any content, including views, anywhere. It's nifty and exciting, if you know how to work with it :)

ZenCart is one of the best ecommerce CMSes, if you really want to build a great shop, but not the rest. Then again, Drupal has Ubercart as one of the ecommerce modules, so it's not too bad.

I use Drupal, mainly, because I rarely, if ever, build just blogs or without any plans for expansion into many other useful sections. Also, for this extensibility reason, I am going to build an ecommerce shop with it, because I need plenty of other sections to help promote the shop. Then again, probably WordPress or Drupal can be linked with Zen Cart, if necessary, but I haven't researched this option (for me, Zen Cart was too complex - way too many options, and I don't know, whether I need them all).

Edited by A.N.Onym, 12 June 2011 - 12:19 AM.

#5 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Can't believe no one has mentioned Joomla yet. Its a free opensource CMS that's far more powerful and flexible then Wordpress without the steep learning curve of Drupal.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4425 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

Well, so far only a Wordpress fan and a Drupal fan had replied!

I never got on with Joomla, cannot remember why though. Long time since I tried. Think I struggled with a module.

#7 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Last time I had a hack with Joomla, it simply wasn't as flexible as Drupal, which learning curve comes from its unique way of making everything possible. Maybe I should give Joomla another try to have something nasty to say about it in this kind of threads :(

Edited by A.N.Onym, 14 June 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#8 ionisis

ionisis

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

Ah! You guys changed the design. It's been a while.

Anyway, i'm obviously biased, but i like the http://wcms.ionisis.com CMS. I use it for all of my sites, and it can be used for free --hoever, it is not open source.

#9 notepage

notepage

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

In order to give you a recommendation, you have to provide additional details. For example if you are selling things, than an ecommerce component is necessary, and things like WordPress are not necessarily the best tool for the job.

Regardless of which option you settle on, make sure you evaluate the search friendlines of the CMS system as that seems to be a frequent area of weakness.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users