• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5412 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

These ads on the Casper Star Tribune were so different that they caught my attention. They reminded me of magazine ads rather than website ads.

http://www.paperg.co...une/2791/0.html

How do visitors get to this page? They see a small bulletin board on the website in a standard-size ad space. When they click it delivers the visitor to this big bulletin board page on paperg.com.

I tried to find pages on the Casper Star Tribune where the small bulletin board reliably appeared but could not find one.... but I am seeing one frequently on travel pages of the Houston Chronicle... http://www.chron.com/travel/ Maybe you will see on in the right column.

I would prefer if the big bulletin board was on my site rather than on paperg, but otherwise I like these ads. Maybe I am just tired of seeing standard banners and word ads.

Edited by EGOL, 15 July 2011 - 08:35 AM.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4606 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Three things - at least - wrong with the ads.

First, as you mention it is another third party ad network displaying elsewhere.
Second, it triggered XSS warnings (appears clean but the method needs work).
Third: the interface and display on the third party site delivering the display ads are sub-par.

The idea is right, the execution is not.
Given that it is showing on a newspaper it is sad - newspapers should have been doing this themselves in-house fifteen years ago.

In a sense this is similar to what I and some others are doing...but as babysteps.
Guess I'm premium for another year or so. :)

For webdevs offering direct ad sales, this is the way...just take the concept shown and don't stop where they have. And not share revenues...although you would have to manage the sales and creatives...

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5412 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the technical analysis.

Glad to hear that you like the idea behind these and have something even better of your own.

I just discovered that when you click on an ad on the board you get a form that can be used to email the ad to others (or to yourself if you have memory problems like me). They also have share buttons - but behind an unnecessary tab.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4606 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

There are good ideas in what they are doing...just that it can be done better. :) And from your comments I suspect that you could create something really awesome for you (revenue), your visitors (ad content can be valuable content), and your direct advertisers... I note that one way to develop a system when one is also in ecommerce is to use your own products as testbed...which metrics can then be used to influence outside advertisers :)

Go, Go, EGOL!!! :cheers:

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5412 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

...use your own products as testbed...

This is a great idea that I had not thought of. We could make an ad showing a collage of products that links to the homepage of our store very easily.

Thanks! We will be working on this next week! Very easy to do!

Edited by EGOL, 15 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#6 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

iamlost, what concept for newspapers did you mean other than running their own bulletin board? If they promote their own sections in their own ads, why would they need webdevs?

If so, where exactly would webdevs step in?

Thanks.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users