• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ionisis

ionisis

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback on the layout for Stiggler.com. I'm horrible at design, and this is the best I've come up with. Ideas and critique would be much appreciated. Thanks~

#2 jocelyn

jocelyn

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Looks okay... but the names of the members are not shown here... just see their faces...

#3 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2064 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

Looks fine, but I would give everything just a little more space, it's surprising how a bit of extra padding can make a layout feel less cluttered.

So, spread out the top row of links... also try a slightly smaller font but in bold.
Little bit taller on the logo bar section.
For the text boxes, double margins on all 4 sides between the content and the box edge.
Extra padding top n bottom for the heading of each box.

Bottom menu is beautifully spaced.

What are the key things you want people to do? I would have guess that 'add a business' was quite important? If so I'd stick a big button on that front page near the magnifying glass. Same on the page about adding a listing. At the moment you expect people to read the great big long text, scroll below the fold and find an itty bit text link to 'register'.

#4 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

I agree with Tam. When I give the page a quick glance, the strongest memory is of the background color, not the contents. A little padding, plus toning down the background, would help people focus on your content.

#5 ionisis

ionisis

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

I'm just a bit curious how Jocelyn knew there was supposed to be names diplayed if you couldn't see them? There are names there, but for members with longer names, some of the name gets cut off; but if you can't see any names at all, then i wonder how you knew that there were supposed to be a name there to begin with (also, the fact that you cannot see them is an interesting problem in itself)?

Thanks guys, i like some of your points very much. I will use those points when planning the next phase of remodelling. It sounds like this design is already better than my previous ones :).

Thanks again.

#6 jocelyn

jocelyn

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

Because the top pixel of the letters of the names shows under the pictures... not enough to read anything, but just enough to know there is a name there.

#7 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:40 AM

I'd:
- put the top nav under the logo
- move the search field and/or category to the left, depending on what's more important
- add more context to categories, if they are important
- improve text/background color contrast in the footer

I agree, however, that you need to define what's more important and:
- move that to the left/center part of the page
- highlight it with larger size
- make it obvious what your conversion is and why it is important for your visitors

Edited by A.N.Onym, 18 July 2011 - 01:41 AM.

#8 ionisis

ionisis

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

Thanks again, i'm actually going to be redoing a lot of the top nav tonight. I redid the footer, and i think you guys will agree that it's much better.

My game plan for the night/morning (i work at night) is to create the important content; emphasise and SUMMARISE the front page to quickly highlight and guide the user to the important elements of the website; and to fix the top nav to reflect this change, etc.

I think by tomorrow night / tonight (it's 03:30 here) i will have a MUCH better website. Thanks to all of you, for your input.

#9 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:06 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track :)

#10 ionisis

ionisis

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hey guys, thanks much for the feedback. I've added and improved upon the site quite a bit now; but I've got another question:
Do you think that it looks better the way it is now (hit refresh), or, with the Alternate Theme (testing theme)?

If you open the main menu at the top, there are 2 small links on the bottom left of the menu when it opens, titled "Default Look" and "White (testing)". Clicking on them will switch between them. The white theme is not done, and i'm kinda stuck on what more to do with it. On some pages it just feels a lot cleaner and more Professional; but on most pages it just feels plain and empty...

Can you guys give me your opinion on which looks better so far? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

#11 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2064 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

I like the original one but there are so good points on the new, but maybe go for a plain blue instead of the stripes so it's not so busy. Also it's a bit grungy at the moment so maybe loose the grey gradient in the white background of the boxes. The double the padding around all the white content area. That will make it feel a lot fresher without turning the whole thing white.

#12 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1886 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

The site seems very developer styled.

It doesn't have the easy usability seen on many directories. I'm sure it is very logical but as a user I'm just not sure what it is I'm supposed to do.

The homepage needs to drop everything except for the business search. The location setter is great but secondary to the main focus of the search which is to find a business.

To this end the top navigation becomes irrelevant - if you have the search box in the main body then you don't need the all in one drop down (which confuses the hell out of me as each link displays exactly the same menu).

Drop the boxes/borders. Having boxes actually reduces conversions as the edges hold the eyes in a particular area - they get to the edge of the box and no further.

That's my thoughts for today.

#13 ionisis

ionisis

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:47 AM

Hey, Fisicx, were you there before? If so, did you refresh? I ask this because i assume you're talking about the old box design.

I think that you're idea with the search bar is a good one, and i will find a way to implement it on the front page.

As far as the rest of the site, now that i'm settled on a design, i'm going through now and working on ways to improve USABILITY.

After that, i'll go back to working on features, etc.

Thanks!

Also, since all of you have been helpful, let me know if you want a free listing, and it's yours. Just sign up, and send me a message telling me which email you signed up with, and i'll credit your accout myself, so that you can create a free premium listing. If you're not interested, i won't be offended.

In case someone else sees this statement LATER, this offer is only good for those who have already helped me in this thread, AND any user or staff member who has helped me in ANY other previous thread. (in a nutshell, that would be anyone who replied to any of my threads before 2011-07-26 11:50:00 UTC)

Thanks again!

Edited by ionisis, 26 July 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#14 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

The layout is nice, but very basic like google.

#15 ionisis

ionisis

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Thanks, james. That's actually what i was going for. "Clean, Simple, Professional, yet, Attractive and/or Appealing and/or Exciting".

There's already people listing jobs and businesses on their. I'm just happy to see it come this far. I've been working night and day on it for about 2 weeks now...

I still like design #4 the best ;)

Thanks guys!

#16 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

Nice work and keep it up.

#17 Dalesway

Dalesway

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

I just visited this site and it seems to be for sale, so I guess no further feedback is needed then.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users