• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

I just stumbled onto a company (isocket.com) that helps small web publishers sell ads on their website directly to advertisers.

(Don't groan yet, its not one of those text link generators. Also, they don't charge you a 50% commission, they charge you a flat monthly service fee that seems reasonable to me.)

When someone wants to advertise on your site they see your price, select a term and upload their banner. Then you check the ad and approve/disapprove... and money starts rolling in if you approve.

This looks like one of the best ways to sell ads directly to advertisers... well... almost directly to advertisers.

They have a video that describes their service. It was really funny. They really understand what a PITA selling directly to advertisers can be.

I have not tried their service yet and have no relationship with them. Just posting here to see if you have tried them or have any comments.

Here's their video... http://www.isocket.com/why

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

I guess if there is no anchor text associated with the ads and since the ads go through their ad server, it should be okay with the search engines.

It looks like you pay for the bandwidth your ads use from their service. I might give it a shot somewhere down the line.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Interesting. But how do people find your site to advertise on? Or is it down to you to still get the leads?

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

You can let people know that ads are available in a number of ways.

-- a direct link to your isocket ad page (actually hosted on buyads.com) sample: http://www.buyads.com/website/mashable

-- advertisers shopping for ad space at buyads.com http://www.buyads.com/

-- have isocket display a "your ad here" image as one of your default ads

#5 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Very interesting. I may give it a try. EGOL, do you know if they give you advice on how to choose a price? Would you base it on what your adsense revenue is for a similar block? I see that some ads are listed at a dollar amount per week or month and others are a CPM figure.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

How much to charge?

I plan to ask at least double my current yield for any space on the site.

My prices will be based on CPMs. I think that is fair for the advertiser and the publisher.

If you charge by the month and your traffic goes up or down you will have to adjust the price of the ad to reflect different traffic levels.

I will also watch the demand... if the space that I offer gets snapped right up then I will be raising the price for the next round.

I'd like to hear what iamlost has to say about pricing. He is a serious student of advertising.

Edited by EGOL, 18 July 2011 - 07:15 PM.

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

I did try using buysellads a while back but got no interest through their system. I get the impression some markets are more likely to use such services to buy advertising. Might give it a shot though.

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

isocket FAQ

In addition to your own self-serve page, isocket also lists your inventory in our premium marketplace - BuyAds.com - which means people interested in buying advertising might find your site and buy from you.

Note: BuyAds shows pricing examples, follow verticals list under categories to left.

My quick look shows them currently interested in only promoting a few verticals - if your site niche is not compatible the results may be poor.

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:42 AM

I had this problem with buysellads, good system but you still have to go knocking on doors yourself to sell the ad space.

#10 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

My quick look shows them currently interested in only promoting a few verticals - if your site niche is not compatible the results may be poor.

I see that... thanks!

#11 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

I just set up my account and have some ad space listed for sale. It was really easy.

I am running an ad network as a default in the space until the first sale is made.

As iamlost noted above, they are not promoting every topic area. My site does not fit in the areas that they are currently promoting. So unless that changes - or they place me in a unrelated category, I will have to promote my own site. I can do that with a link to my ad sales page and link to that page with an "advertise here" link in my persistent navigation.

#12 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Egol,
Thanks for sharing this. It does look like a cool setup. Sadly, none of my hobby sites are up to 50,000 page views a month :(

#13 ryanhupfer

ryanhupfer

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hey guys, I'm part of the isocket team and it's cool to hear your thoughts on what we're doing. If any of you have any questions about anything, please let me know and I'm get you some answers as quickly as I can. Also, if you would like to send them to me directly you can email me at ryan-at-isocket.com.

I hope you're all having an awesome weekend and we'll catch up soon!

Ryan Hupfer
isocket customer BFF

#14 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

I just got an email from isocket saying that they are trying to see if my site is a good fit. My guess is that I may not fit as I don't really fit into any of the categories, and my traffic is small compared to some of the sites on there.

Hey Ryan...if I could add a suggestion, it would be great to have a search function on the site - I was trying to search to see if you had other publishers or advertisers in the pet industry and couldn't find any.

#15 ryanhupfer

ryanhupfer

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hey Dr. Marie, thanks for the feedback and I couldn't agree more with you about needing the ability to search through our publishers. What you see on BuyAds right now is our first version and we know that there's plenty that we can do to make it better.

For instance, adding search is one of many things that's on our to-do list and it's great to hear your feedback on it, so thanks for letting me know about it.

What is your website? Let me know and I'll take a look to see if there are other websites like you that use isocket.

#16 Pete

Pete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

It does look interesting, my site has just about got to where it reaches their criteria.

I was slightly put off by the site, nice video, but I couldn't find quick answers to some obvious questions like, er, how do I get paid? Do I have to take down my Adsense while waiting for their ads? etc.

But I did like the video so have sent off a form to find out more.

#17 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

How do you get paid? They will send payment to you at the end of the month by Paypal, check or bank transfer.

Do you have to take down your Adsense? No... you give them adsense or another ad code as a default and those ads will show until your inventory sells.

I have a few million impressions per month advertised on isocket for a few weeks now and so far I have not gotten any sales - but I am still making money with my original ads.

#18 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Had a chat with them, but a little confused about payment. My main audience is American but I only have UK bank account. Sounds like I may struggle unless I set up credit card payments .... unless I can agree to invoice by Google or Paypal.

#19 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

I believe that they will accept the payments for you. Also, they will deduct 3% from any payment to cover their credit card fees.

So, you could sell through their system and they can pay you by PayPal.

#20 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

FYI, my site was rejected. They were very nice about it, but didn't feel I was ready yet. They said to contact them back once I start selling some adspace (i.e. not adsense) on my own.

#21 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

Dr. Marie, is the conflict not enough traffic or a conflict with selling AdSense?

(Bummer! We know how hard you've been working!)

#22 Pete

Pete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

Seems a bit of a waste of time. My site fit the criteria (number of visits per month) that they ask for, but then when I applied I got a reply saying it didn't fit the criteria of visits.

Edited by Pete, 11 August 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#23 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:28 AM

Kim, I wouldn't say there was really a conflict, but rather, they didn't feel that my site would do well with their system at this point.

They have absolutely no problem with you using Adsense...in fact it is encouraged. You can continue to run adsense and then, if you get an advertiser through their system you just replace that adsense unit. The rest of your adsense can still run on your site.

Part of the reason for the rejection of my site is that it didn't really fit into any of their categories. I met their minimum requirements for traffic, but they just don't get a lot of people (at this time) wanting to put an ad on a pet related site.

They asked if I have had any serious requests from people wanting to purchase ad space on my site. I did recently have one request, but no response after I sent my rates. What isocket told me is that when I start getting more direct requests, then to contact them back.

It makes sense. As they don't have a category for me, and people aren't beating down my door to buy ad space, isocket is not likely to work for me.

It's a good idea though if you fit into one of their categories.

#24 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:27 AM

I get a lot of requests from people who want to buy advertising directly from me..... Almost all of them are huge time wasters. They want their ad shown to all of my visitors for ten dollars a month. They must think that I am a dummy.

Although I have not sold anything yet through isocket I really like their service because they will count the impressions and collect the money. Also, instead of communicating with advertisers I just tell them isocket or adsense and I am back to writing content.

#25 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Yes, that's the point I was trying to get at...I think isocket works well if you are a website who already has lots of requests for direct advertising. They do all of the administrative stuff and you just put up the ad and collect money.

But, if you don't already have people interested in direct ads, isocket is likely not the place to go to try to solicit some.

#26 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

But, if you don't already have people interested in direct ads, isocket is likely not the place to go to try to solicit some

If your website is not in one of the categories that they are promoting I think that you will get about zero visiblity on isocket. It will be up to you to drive traffic to their site to sell any ads.

#27 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

I was planning on using a similar automated system on my own website and accepting the payments myself. After all, it's very easy to sell ads of different types and in different locations and receive payments from a number of methods with a good CMS, such as Drupal. But it's good there's a way to show my site to other advertisers, other than my visitors. Maybe I'll use it after I hit some good traffic levels :) Thanks for sharing, EGOL.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 12 August 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#28 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

An update on this....

I have been using the isocket service for about six weeks with a link to my "advertising page" in my top-of-site persistent navigation. I have never been this aggressive at seeking advertisers (previously just a link to my advertising page in the footer of the homepage).

I have not sold any ads at all through this service. None. I believe that my ads are offered at a very attractive price and the ads are above the fold and very visible.

The upside... my site targeted Adsense income has jumped up. I can't attribute it to the link in my persistent nav but I suggest Google site-targeted Adwords as the second advertising opportunity.

So, I might stop looking for isocket advertisers and put Adsense as the one and only way to get ads on the site.

#29 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about giving it a go but now may not bother.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users