I've been looking closely these past months at the state of e-commerce online and exactly what is going to take to survive online in these recession (with no end in hope...) times.
The internet has always been about price, but now it's REALLY about price because lots of people just don't have any money. So, if you've got an ecommerce site that is basically a catalogue with a buy button, you're probably asking yourselves why you ain't selling jack. The answer is probably because someone is undercutting your prices by 70%. One portal I know at 0800 in the morning had 127,000 people connected to its sale. PRICE IS EVERYTHING.
But if you take a look at the off the shelf packages, it seems to me that things are really limited. Does anyone build ecommerce platforms anymore that are competitively priced and with some useful functionality?
I thought I would share this list of e-commerce requirements i consider essential for surviving in the current climate. This isn't some casual off the top off my head list I've compiled here, but the fruits of a research project i've been doing for some time, looking at the leading online businesses in e-commerce, reading best practice and generally cooking my brain on a good criteria sheet..
But it's not complete and i don't claim it to be groundbreaking.
But, it does seem that i can't find an ecommerce with these basic things in it.
Please let me know if you know what ecommerce I should be looking at for something like this....
- apply promotions by product range
- apply promotions by single product
- discount on registration (% or absolute)
- discount message sent on timed release after first order
- promotional discount types, one off, constant, percentage or absolute discount
- creation of campaigns with unique URL with unique discount rates (such as 10% on people that come through a certain link)
- all clients through a certain campaign are automatically tagged with the campaign source, and can be targeted for repeat promotions at campaign groups
- Locking of discount campaigns only when certain payment methods are selected. Example, a 10% discount on accessories only if a paypal method is selected for payment
- timed release campaigns (example promotional campaign automatically expires automtically after x days or starts on day 1 and finished on day 3)
- affiliate network plugins such as CJ,Tradedoubler,Affiliate window - creation of affiliates and management back end.
- newsletter signup integrated
- wishlist and ability to share wishlist with other people via social networks, as a public link.
- customer notified when a category they want to follow is updated
- customer notified when a product out of stock comes back online
- packaging products (example make a package of lots of different products within a store, assign and give a global price for package)
- invite a friend discount scheme, with ability to bulk load email addresses and send from customer back end. Ability to import contacts from hotmail, ymail,libero,gmail addresses.
- Facebook, invite friends from Facebook, post website like to to wall (client gets a discount coupon for doing so)
- order process integrates with Android, so you can check order status.
- online points and incentive scheme, buy product X get 10 points, product y gets you 5 points....
- For every 20 euros spent you are 10 points.
- Ability for a customer to add a review to each product and recognition of ratings system via Google results.
- Global discounts based on customer group - Example, all registrations through a certain campaign link will give customer a global discount of 40%, for ever.
- Ebay and Amazon store connection
- multiple language back and front ends.
- multi currency
- different prices lists based on country.
- mobile versions of the store (IPAD/Android), for example an order tracking module to user C/P.
- ability to adjust rates of key products automatically on a daily scanning of competitors.
What's to add.
edit: found this comparison chart which could be a good starting point
Does this exist already?
Edited by glyn, 05 September 2011 - 02:35 AM.