• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

After years of using only FF I decided to make the jump to chrome for the majority of my online work. Ever since the latest FF upgrade I have been getting the rainbow wheel of death on my mac far too often (i.e. FF temporarily freezes up).

I can't believe how much faster chrome is!

What browser do you guys use?

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

I use Chrome for the most part but still occasionally leap into Internet Explorer and Firefox (especially when I am logged in to Google and want to look at standard search results). Some Websites require me to use Internet Explorer. And if I want to use a Firefox plugin then obviously I have to switch to Firefox.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4358 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

I use Chrome and FF.

Chrome - personal accounts, general browsing, working
FF - business accounts,

Really I use both just so I can easily access more than one Google account at a time.

#4 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Firefox... it's got the coolest name. Maybe I should get around to trying chrome.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4358 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

I also use Chrome Incognito a lot too, very handy for checking updates on websites and also to quickly do a cleaner, less personalised Google search. An opening any links I am less sure of, such as commenters links or email links - just right click the link and open in incognito. No idea if it is safer, but feels safer!

#6 MaryKrysia

MaryKrysia

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

Firefox. Primarily for all the plug-ins I use for SEO and Web design work.

Chrome, I/E, Opera, for testing designs.

#7 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Well this is a funny coincidence...look what came across my twitter feed just now:

Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Browser Usage - Measuring the effects of cognitive ability on the choice of web browser.

To quote the conclusions:

The study showed a substantial relationship between an individualís cognitive ability and their choice of web
browser. From the test results, it is a clear indication that individuals on the lower side of the IQ scale tend to
resist a change/upgrade of their browsers. This hypothesis can be extended to any software in general,
however more research is needed for that, which is a potential future work as an extension to this report.
It is common knowledge, that Internet Explorer Versions to 6.0 to 8.0 are highly incompatible with modern web
standards. In order to make websites work properly on these browsers, web developers have to spend a lot of
unnecessary effort. This results in an extra financial strain on web projects, and has over the last decade cost
millions of man-hours to IT companies. Now that we have a statistical pattern on the continuous usage of
incompatible browsers, better steps can be taken to eradicate this nuisance.

And to describe one of their charts:

From the graph in Figure 2, one can see that in the 0 percentile group (the group with the lowest IQ score)
about 34% of the subjects use IE version 7.0 and this usage comes down to less than 4% in subjects with a 99
percentile (the group with the highest IQ score). Similarly IE version 6.0 comes down from about 12% to 0% as
we move from left to right on the IQ scale. In a sharp contrast Opera, IE with Chrome Frame and Camino go
from 0% to 10%, 6% and 3% respectively, implying that individuals with a higher IQ score use them.

Edited by Dr.Marie, 28 July 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I use several different browsers every day so I can cuss about them.... and know how my site behaves in them.

#9 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Chrome most of the time. Firefox occasionally.

#10 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9002 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

I am a Chrome enthusiast and also use Gmail as almost my sole e-mail processer. I'm also almost exclusively working in Google Docs. Any concerns I might have about privacy are minimal when compared with the operating efficiencies I have seen in adopting these Google products.

#11 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

It's a nonsense study since it offers nothing to validate the "IQ test" it used.

#12 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Well Michael, you called it. I just read this story from bbc news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ology-14370878#

A story which suggested that users of Internet Explorer have a lower IQ than people who chose other browsers appears to have been an elaborate hoax.

A number of media organisations, including the BBC, reported on the research, put out by Canadian firm ApTiquant.

It later emerged that the company's website was only recently set up and staff images were copied from a legitimate business in Paris.

It is unclear who was behind the stunt.

The story was reported by many high profile organisations including CNN, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph and Forbes.

Questions about the authenticity of the story were raised by readers of the BBC website who established that the company which put out the research - ApTiquant - appeared to have only set up its website in the past month.

Thumbnail images of the firm's staff on the website also matched those on the site of French research company Central Test, although many of the names had been changed.

The BBC contacted Central Test who confirmed that they had been made aware of the copy but had no knowledge of ApTiquant or its activities.

Research claims
ApTiquant issued a press release claiming that it had invited 100,000 web users to take IQ tests and matched their results with the type of browser they used.

It also supplied extensive research data.

The results claimed to show that Internet Explorer users were generally of lower intelligence.

The BBC sought alternative views for the original story, including Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory, who said: "I believe these figures are implausibly low - and an insult to IE users."

No-one on ApTiquant's contact number was available for comment.

Graham Cluley, senior security consultant at Sophos examined the source material for the BBC after concerns were raised.

"It's obviously very easy to create a bogus site like this - as all phishers know it's easy to rip-off someone else's webpages and pictures," he said.

Mr Cluley also looked at the pdf file containing the data that many people had downloaded from a variety of sources and said it did not appear to contain malware.

Sounds like a great attempt at linkbait!

Edited by Dr.Marie, 03 August 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#13 JVRudnick

JVRudnick

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

I use what my clients use - hence my migration 15 or so years ago off the mac platform to windows...and yup, IE of course too....

in my "other" life - I still use IE....and as noted above, it fails many/most of the modern standards because, well.....MS just doesn't care about same....they were around before the standards were even thought of...hence their indifference towards same...

oh - IE9 is okay, but you should see what IE X can do!

:-)

Jim
yup - an MCSD, eh!

#14 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13453 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

I use Chrome, with FF as second.

IE is rarely used, but I have both IE and Opera installed for testing sites.

Rockmelt is on my laptop, for when I'm engaging in social networks. It brings everything in at once.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users