13 replies to this topic

#1 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:06 AM

Hello My Dear Fellow Cre8ers,

This has been a big and busy day for us. We've just launched the website for Solas Web Design's new subsidiary company - CopyLocal. The specific focus of this business is on writing copy for local business owners (and also for SEMs whose clients procrastinate when it comes to delivering copy). We've been at work on this for weeks, and on our Google Android phone, the mobile style sheet looks terrific. However; this is our first experience fully customizing a WordPress theme for mobile (both the site and its blog are Wordpress-based) and I would really appreciate it if you could fire up your cell phone or other device and see how it looks to you.

On the homepage, what you should be seeing from top to bottom is:

- a dark blue menu with 5 links in it
- masthead with our company name
- white space with 4 shiny button links
- an h1 tag sitting side by side with a photo of a lady standing outside of San Francisco
- some text
- contact info
- more text
- contact info

It's really different from the desktop version, and I would be very grateful if you can tell me if the above is what you see without any unsightly alignment issues or other oddities.

Thanks, guys and gals!

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:58 AM

On my android phone (samsung captivate), I see the site exactly the way it appears on the desktop version.

#3 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

:frustration:

Wait, wait :flowers: thank you, Donna. I asked for this :D

You know, while we were building the mobile version, our phone kept reverting back to the desktop stylesheet and we finally figured out it was showing us some weird cached version...but clearly that is not happening here. And on an Android device, too!

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

On an iPhone with Safari, I am seeing a mobile version of the site with simplified top banner and four big icons... then photos and text below them - just like you describe. Looks great.

On an iPad with Safari I see the same version of the site as on my desktop computer.

Nice work!

On my desktop with Chrome... footer is aligned left.

(posted... 6:12 AM eastern time)

Edited by EGOL, 09 August 2011 - 05:15 AM.

#5 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3318 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

Miriam it looks great to me and offers "negative review responder" which would appeal to me . I'd click on that link if someone was badmouthin' me! :P

Nice going! It looks professional to me. Good luck with it. :applause:

Donna

#6 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

Miriam - hi.

(Long time no speaky here! :) )

Very nice. I checked the website out on my Motorola Dext - both Portrait and Landscape, (y'know - turning the phone sideways :P )

Anyway...

Portrait - as described by Egol: "I am seeing a mobile version of the site with simplified top banner and four big icons... then photos and text below them - just like you describe."

Landscape - just the header and the top two buttons only.

Sounds like an excellent business idea! :)

Good luck and have fun!

Paul

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Landscape - just the header and the top two buttons only.

Looks fine in landscape on iPhone Safari. Looks great on iPad Safari... very clean... lots of whitespace to define content areas.

#8 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

p.s. I think I meant to say that I have to scroll down the page to see the rest of the page in landscape - that's to say the banner and the top two buttons are the only things I see without scrolling.

#9 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thank you so much guys and gals. I really appreciate you taking a gander at this.

So, it looks like I have to figure out why:

android phone (samsung captivate)
iPad with Safari

Are not recognizing the mobile stylesheet.

And I'm sure there are other devices that aren't recognizing it either.

I find this very confusing about the whole mobile thing. If the stylesheet is there and properly coded, why don't some devices see it?

#10 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Do you really want to render a mobile site on iPad with Safari.

The site looks fantastic on mine.

Just sayin'

#11 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hi EGOL,
You know, that's probably the question I should be asking. Does the desktop version look/act atrocious on your device if you're not being served the mobile one? If iPhone users can see the mobile one, have we reached a significant audience with our preferred mobile layout? There doesn't seem to be a reasonable way to see the site on every possible device (seriously wonder how people who are charging for mobile design are doing this). How much is enough and how much can we NOT manage?

Also, curious to know if anyone can look at the site on a Blackberry.

#12 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

I am sure that there are lots of opinions about this... but from what I have seen the ipad is fine for nonmobile sites. I have not found any sites yet that don't work well on ipad.

============================

"If you created a mobile-friendly version of your website, you are probably seeing the fruits of your labor in customer adoption already. That mobile site, however, is not suitable for iPad user consumption. Mobile sites are designed for a teeny-tiny screen and translate to a deficient user experience on the iPad. Consequently, your mobile site should never be served up automatically to the iPad user."

Read more: http://www.searcheng.../#ixzz1Uf2pIuFU

#13 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thank you for this quote, Egol. That helps a lot to know!

#14 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

I just checked it on my Blackberry curve. For some reason I got an error 403 forbidden: You are not authorizd to view this page. Please try loading a different page.

Now, my curve does not do internet well...but this is not a message I normally get when trying to visit sites.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users