• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

I'm reading a book called Accelerate (http://www.amazon.co...elerate&x=0&y=0). It's very interesting. It's geared towards business owners with minimal knowledge of internet marketing, but there are still some great ideas for content generation and marketing.

Last night I read about using Twitter search for content ideas. What he suggested was to type into Twitter Search, "anyone know [keyword]". So, I typed in "anyone know vet" and I found out that lots of people are asking if anyone knows a vet who does house calls. Here's a great opportunity for me to create some content based around how to find a house call vet or to create a directory for vets who do house calls.

I'm only just starting to play around with this...I think it will be a cool thing to use when writing about current news items.

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:27 AM

One process I often use to make sure I'm not missing some aspect of a particular topic is to use Google Insights.
http://www.google.co...sights/search/#

I'm not sure how well it would work for every-day issues but it's great for some of the bigger issues.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

I used to use Ixquick for keyword research. If I didn't rank on that site for a query, I modified my page content and linking strategy until I moved up. Generally I saw improvement in keyword performance by doing so.

The research part was in identifying underperforming keywords.

I'm not sure Ixquick is still relevant in a 2 search engine-dominated market but the principle should still work with social media search tools.

For example, if you're promoting your site for keyword X but people are Tweeting, Facebooking, whatevering someone else's site, then you need to improve your visibility for your own site in that social media keyword space.

#4 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

A little off topic, but still within the concept of finding interesting content, what alert systems do you use to find what others are writing about on a specific topic but whose blogs or sites you don't, for example, have in your feedreader?

#5 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

I find Google Alerts work very well. I have quite a number for topics I follow and quite often get surprises.

#6 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

You can also subscribe to Twitter searches via RSS/XML. Many other sites have similar functionality. Also, subscribing to categories on social sharing sites, such as subreddits, may quite helpful in staying tuned to what's happening around.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 14 August 2011 - 12:38 AM.

#7 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Barry & Yura,
With the Twitter search RSS and Google Alerts, is there some way to get notified other than via email? I would love to find something where it doesn't send you emails. I feel maxed out in the email dept. If there was some way I could see the results within Twitter or my Google account that would be great.

Edited by SEOigloo, 14 August 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

I agree with that, I recently turned off a load of Alerts as I was getting too many.

One really annoying thing with Alerts is that there is no pause option (which is a bit dumb).

A Google spreadsheet macro thingy would probably be best, something that would just save the last X results for each entry.

OK, so I just Googled "google alerts spreadsheet" and found this: http://www.iamsteph....gle-spreadsheet

#9 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

I sometimes type partial queries in to Google's search box to see what it suggests people may be looking for. The alternative queries it embeds at the bottom of search results also sometimes turn out to be interesting keywords.

#10 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

Any idea how soon the auto fill suggestions are updated?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users