9 replies to this topic

#1 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:42 AM

OK, made a few new changes.

Aim: increase engagement by improving navigation and adding more social sharing buttons.

Why: After the latest Panda attack lost more visitors and it seems that although some pages are still very popular, overall bounce rate has increased. Seems many of the lost readers used to like reading more pages.

So, the big, fat blue strip across the top is new. The right side bar has been jiggled with underperforming ads removed and some category specific menus added (not seen on homepage)

Feedback welcome as always.

My main concern: how the top section behaves in smaller screens. Played with different screen resolutions but not sure if it is OK or not!

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5182 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

I just visited on my desktop and iphone. I am getting a mobile version of the site on iphone. Looks great.

Actually, I like the mobile version a lot better than the desk top version because the links are very obvious.

For example... in the "Weight Training" block on my iphone I can clearly see that "Beginners Weight Training" and "Full Body Weight Training Workout" are links - because of their bright blue color. On the desktop I might not realize that they are links because color is very close to the text color and links are not underlined.

I am wondering if making the links an obvious blue color on your desktop design might reduce bouncerate.

Edited by EGOL, 16 August 2011 - 08:58 AM.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

ok, will underline all links - is that the best option?

ok, all links now underlined, including all the links in the sidebar.

Lets see if this helps ....

#4 Dr Lando

Dr Lando

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

The overlay nav(tophat) needs a width to match the body width. When you resize a browser, the menu items crunch together.

Are you leaving the old nav(the one that scrolls with the page) up for comparison?

Maybe add a bottom border on the overlay. something like border-bottom{solid 2px #F0BD3E;}.

In general, the overlay menu doesn't seem like a menu, but that's probably just me.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

The overlay menu (the 4 links above search) are just new links. My thinking was that if someone is reading and scrolls down then those links may also be in mind when they come to decide what to do next.

I did think about having the whole menu in the overlay, a bit like what techcrunch.com do.

#6 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Looks nice,

Jon, I dont see any email submit forms (for newsletter). I think you're missing out on a lot if you dont collect the emails from readers (even if you dont know what to email them yet)

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4294 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:36 AM

Yeah, maybe I should increase that again. Had some forms, removed them for some reason or other. In fact, last night I was thinking about something else I removed a while ago, and was trying to work out what it was and why I removed it! I think my WP database is mostly filled with abandoned widgets now....

#8 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

oh yea, i agree. I went in my personal blog's plugins and took out at least 6 or 7 un-used old plugins.

#9 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hey Jon...I like the changes. I like the bar that stays at the top. However, when you scroll, the menu that says, Home, Fitness, etc. does something funky as it crosses over the navbar. It doesn't disappear under the bar like the rest of the content does. I tried it on Chrome, FF and Safari.

#10 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

Jon, Re- Dr.Marie's observation: both #tophat and .main-navigation have identical z-indices of 1000. Suggest that you lower that of .main-navigation to remove the conflict, i.e. I changed it to 900 and it worked fine.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users