• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Online university courses are common these days, both paid with accreditation, i.e. Athabasca University - Distance Education and free without, i.e. MIT - OpenCourseWare by which the content of some 2000 courses is made available via the web for self-study.

And now Stanford University is offering something of a combination of the two, both free and structured/guided:
* Introduction to Databases taught by Professor Jennifer Widom. You do need to sign up (name and email) and the course runs 10-October-2011 to 12-December-2011.

* Introduction to Artificial Intelligence taught by Professor Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig (Director of Research at Google). You do need to sign up (name and email) and the course runs 10-October-2011 to 16-December-2011.

* Machine Learning taught by Professor Andrew Ng. You do need to sign up (name and email) and the course runs 10-October-2011 to 16-December-2011.

So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is inertia itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified procrastination which paralyzes needed efforts to convert ignorance into knowledge.
---with apologies to FDR

Note: the number of registrations for the three courses above is already a multiple of the entire Stanford student body.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Stanford will be offering a class in Cryptography starting in January 2012.

Also a class in Technology Entrepreneurship that might be of interest to some here.

And several more. Look at linked pages' bottom.

I must say that I am finding the free online university courses a real box of chocolates, so many delicacies! :)

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4424 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:03 AM

The Open University, the finest distance learning university in the universe, have an open course in cryptography

http://openlearn.ope...423&section=4.1

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4424 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Funny, I just watched all of this, and thought I'd add it here as another OU gem.

The History of English in 10 Minutes

oooh, that is clever! We have video!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users