• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

Have you seen the HUGE sitelinks that Google is now displaying?

In the past you could get up to eight sitelinks that would simply be topical names for the pages on your site.

Now, on some queries, Google is giving something like an abbreviated title tag for site links. If you get eight, ten or even TWELVE of of them they are SO BIG THAT THEY WILL RUN YOUR COMPETITOR OUT OF TOWN.

They frequently show for brand names such as "MOMA" or "Behr" or a domain query.... however, I have also seen them displayed for unbranded queries.

You can read about them here

I think that they are helpful when they display for a legitimate brand name. However, when they display for a generic query I think that they give undue advantage to a single site. But, Google must think that the site deserves the overwhelming attention.

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

yep, I blogged about that yesterday.

Getting 12 bigguns for Mutley. One is a subdomain (which is still in limbo....). Never seen any site links for non-branded queries though (for my site). That would be nice.

#3 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Too funny. I'm using a different computer at work than I usually do and I just googled cre8asite to get here and thought, "Weird...this computer monitor must be messed up...the sitelinks are huge."

For my site if you type in the site name, my 12 sitelinks take up the entire first page! But, I don't see any sitelinks for any of my keywords.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

It appears to be aimed at what G thinks are strictly navigational queries. For instance if a domain name consists of two words the termterm (without a space) may show sitelinks while term term (with the space) will not. Thus, as Dr.Marie (gosh darn but that intermediary period is a pain!) mentions keywords are typically not navigational queries and so do not generate the 6 to 12 sitelink behaviour.

It will be interesting to identify edge cases where navigational intent does not show sitelinks or where non-navigational intent does.

Aside #1: I note that single generic word domain names are not being considered navigational. I presume where intent is ambiguous the default is for for a normal broad search return. Once the tld is added sitelinks show as ambiguity is resolved.

Aside #2: I note brand names appear to be considered as navigational but not trademarks or service marks. Interesting distinction.

Edited by iamlost, 17 August 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#5 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2060 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Wow, bye bye being happy with no.2 result. On my screen I can't even see result no.2 any more, it's below the fold.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

I noticed that for my site, if I Google mutleyelf I get 12 results, but with mutley elf only 8. So yeah, domain / brand / keywords affect total responses.

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I notice a few single word queries that display sitelinks for the keyword domain. For example "weather".

Also, I have a TM that when typed in displays sitelinks for one of my websites - but the domain of that website is not the same as the TM. The TM appears in text only in the footer of the site.

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Actually 'weather' is an interesting example. If I do the query on dotca the sitelinks show; the query on dotcom or dotcouk I get regular query results without sitelinks; the query on dotca via non-Canadian IP proxy also loses the sitelinks. I guess a geolocation filter is in play, at least for that term, when deciding whether query is navigational.

Edited by iamlost, 17 August 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

I searched for weather and saw nothing.

What is the weather domain you see Egol?

#10 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

weather.com

#11 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

That is really interesting EGOL as what I see is theweathernetwork.com.

weather_results.png

#12 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Wow...my company looks cool :)

Thanks for pointing this out Egol. That's quite enormous.

------------------

P.S. I've noticed something interesting. It looks to me like my most recent blog post on several properties is showing as the bottom link in the lefthand column of the sitelinks. That's kind of neat-o.

Edited by SEOigloo, 17 August 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#13 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

Wow, nothing like weather network in the UK.

I just get weather for Hounslow, which is way over on the opposite side of London, and then some BBC and other links.

Maybe the MET office need an SEO?

#14 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

what I see is theweathernetwork.com.

Is that a really popular weather site in your area?

#15 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

Is that a really popular weather site in your area?

I guess...don't have a clue...I use the govt weather site local forecast via bookmark.

#16 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1886 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

The google explanation: http://googleblog.bl...panded-and.html

It's all about the type of search you make - destination searches rather than general search.

The number of site links depends on the scope of the search.

I quite like them.

#17 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

This makes me wonder now if people aren't going to start valuing domains in part on the basis of how many sitelinks they are assigned (and how many queries for which they have earned sitelinks).

I have seen a few domains that display sitelinks in more than one query.

#18 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

Heh.... if you can get twelve sitelinks for something highly commercial your site would be worth a lot.

#19 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Heh.... if you can get twelve sitelinks for something highly commercial your site would be worth a lot.

I'd like to think so...
What I really really like is when 'as the query is input' the instant results show increasing sitelinks...4-6-8-12...with each additional letter :nanacomputer:
I guess that is a Google proof of niche (navigational) term dominance?

#20 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

Well, I'll keep my eyes open for monetization channels built around sitelinks. I think the incentive is there now.

#21 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Here is something a little different....

Note how a search for "london newspapers" yields (at least for me) Telegraph.co.uk as the number one result... then, instead of sitelinks they have the headlines of a few very recent news stories showing.

I looked for schema.org code but didn't find it. Somehow Google is able to grab really recent content for the site and incorporate it into the SERPs.

#22 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

EGOL, I have seen something similar in a few other generic queries recently. I've been wondering if it was something to do with the CSS.

#23 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Take a look at [Washington Post]. A little bit of everything...news stories, sitelinks, site search...

In a similar vein - but not the n-sitelinks, I have several URL directory (category) names (often several hierarchical levels deep) that return the title, the description, and a couple of text links - rather like those news story links - for videos (using the vid title) with play time. What is particularly interesting is that the links go, not to the category page returned and that does reference the videos (in thumbnails that expand to play when clicked) but to the vids' pages in the video directory (on a different hierarchical level). Interestingly, similar category pages (exact same template, different subjects) return 4-6 sitelinks with a 'more results from' link. So far no idea why the difference - why vid from some, sitelinks from others...

Lots of juicy stuff to investigate.

Note: am finding most of these 'new' query results via log file analysis of referer traffic change.

#24 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:14 AM

Is +1 triggering these story links?

#25 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5494 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

Here is one that will probably disappear quickly....

In today's Google SERPs for "incontrovertible" an image associated with a news entry about a Nobel Prize winner resigning from a professional society has a guy with a sign "I QUIT!".

The text entry goes to The Star Ledger but the image goes to Daily Tech.

#26 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

Rather than disappear I expect to see more such mashups as Google ties available data together in query results. Putting aside all other results changes, i.e. blending ads above results, highlighting Google properties, altering titles and descriptions, this is a behaviour I've been waiting on. Sort of my canary in the coal mine...when organic results delivery shifts from defined strata to mashup, from sedimentary layers to metamorphic transformations (to misuse a geology metaphor).

While I've been watching for this since shortly after "universal' search was introduced I am still not certain where this might end or potential drawbacks and benefits for individual sites; specifically information ad/af revenue sites.

Once again :tinfoil: :fingerscrossed: :hanginginthere: :juggle: :study: :popcorn: ...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users