• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Using Adsense on my website has converted me into a student of advertising. When I visit any website I pay some attention to the ads that display.

Lately I have noticed that Adsense seems to have changed from nearly a pure "contextual" display to a behavioral and locational display. If I visit SEOMoz or HostGator, their ads seem to be all over the web, even when I am on sites that have nothing to do with hosting or SEO. Also I am seeing a lot of ads for regional businesses whose websites I have never visited or visited just once or twice a long time ago.

I hope that I am making good money this way but I feel that I have totally lost control of the ads because they are coming from where ever my visitors have been previously on the web or where their ISP is located.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4662 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

When I visit any website I pay some attention to the ads that display.

:rofl:
Welcome to the Twilight Zone...

Lately I have noticed that Adsense seems to have changed from nearly a pure "contextual" display to a behavioral and locational display.

Welcome to 2009!
Google's Behavioral Ad Beta Scares Publishers Over Contextual Relevancy by Barry Schwartz, SE Roundtable, 12-March-2009.
And a heartfelt plea from 2010:
Are There Any Contextual Ads Left? by Erku, Webmasterworld, 16-July-2010.

I'm sure that you will be pleased to hear that your visitors can modify or opt out :( receiving behavioural ads, although they do need to do so each time they browse after deleteing cookies!

Can I opt out of interest-based advertising for my site? , AdSense Help, offers a mediocre solution...

You can opt out of showing ads that are based on user interest and demographic categories (for example, 'sports enthusiasts' or 'inferred age:18-34'). In turn, Google will not use visitation information from your sites to help create interest and demographic categories. However, you cannot opt out of showing ads to users based on their previous interactions with the advertiser, such as visits to an advertiser's website

Yes, but no... gotta love Google :cheers:

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the links!

Interesting articles by Barry and that "Are There Any Contextual Ads Left?" post at WMW didn't get any replies. :(

I knew that behavioral has been around for a while... but they have not been hitting me too much until the last couple of months.... but now I am seeing SEOMoz ads everywhere! They should use a different cookie for "members" (if that's how they target visitors).

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4662 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Clear your cookies frequently (set those you want to keep, i.e. Cre8, in exceptions first).
Or at least deny 3rd party cookies.

Not that any of that will stop determined trackers from haunting your every move...for there be real cookie monsters out there...muahahahahaha

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thanks! I didn't know I could set exceptions. I'll check it out.

#6 kkrueger

kkrueger

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:49 AM

Actually you can choose whether or not you want ads to show based on user interest, demographics and location.

If you go into your adsense account (using the old interface which I think is easier to navigate than the new interface) and choose my account and then Interest Based Ad Settings then you can select one of the following down below.

There are two schools of thought, that if ads show up based on previous searches made by your visitor, then they may be more likely to click on ads related to their previous searches...but if you are targeting a certain keyword, then you want ads related to those keywords to be displayed.

Many people don't realize they can make the distinction. (BTW...I am lucky to have found this forum...thanks!)

I hope this helps.

Interest-based Ads Preference

Set your preference for interest-based ads. These ads are served to users based on their interests and may improve your earning potential over time. Learn more about the value of these ads and how user interest and demographic categories will be created and used.

-> Show ads based on user interest and demographic categories. Visitation information from my sites may be used to help create interest and demographic categories.

-> Do not show ads based on user interest or demographic categories. Visitation information from my sites will not be used to help create interest or demographic categories.

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:28 AM

Welcome to cre8asite kkrueger!

We always enjoy new members who post such great information.

I didn't realize that I had control of such things.

Thank you!

Looking forward to more of your posts!

#8 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

Welcome to the Forums, kkrueger. :wave:

I had not realized this although I found it fairly easy with the new interface. It is under Advanced Settings under the Allow or Block Ads tab.

#9 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

I think part of the "behavioral" thing is that AdSense now allows advertisers to use any one of dozens or hundreds of networks. You may be seeing those networks use AdSense as a channel for tracking user behavior.

I've been trying to figure out which of these parasitical networks are polluting my Websites so I can block them but it's not easy.

#10 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

I have interest based ads turned off on my website. Plus, I have a tracking cookie set up in chrome so that I don't see interest based ads on my own personal searches.

However, it still happens to me, both on my website and others that I'm littered with ads for SEOMoz, Hostgator and other SEO related sites.

Hey, on a related note, want to see who Google thinks you are? Check out:

http://www.google.co...references/view

Google thinks that I am 35-44 (I am) and male (I am not). Some of my preferences are right on: I have 5 categories for pets and animals and 7 for either computers or internet. But some make me wonder: beauty, online tv (I never watch online tv), and Shopping.

Edited by Dr.Marie, 26 August 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#11 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Interesting link... Google thinks that I am male, 45-54 (too young) and that I look at news, business, industrial and internet topics. Not bad.

#12 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

That's a nice link, indeed. It doesn't guess my age or gender, though. Guess I don't produce enough English searches for that :)

Edited by A.N.Onym, 27 August 2011 - 12:11 AM.

#13 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

I think that one "problem" I see is this non-contextual advertising.

Now that Adsense is updated with live like reports, i.e. we see clicks that are later removed due to "invalid clicking" I often see big clicks that are cancelled. In the last month I have witnessed around 100 of clicks come and then go.

I suspect that this is when an ad appears for an unrelated business that is personalised. The reader clicks it, but for some reason Adsense decides that as they have already visited the site once they will not charge them again.

Just a hunch, but cannot fathom why else I see some high paying adverts get clicked and then removed by Google afterwards.

The other morning I lost 90% of my income in a flash. Everything looked good late morning then by lunch 90% of the earnings were wiped off.

No explanation why. I wish I could block personalised ads from being on my site to see if that improves things.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users