19 replies to this topic

#1 Ammon

Ammon

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

First up, long time no talk. :wave:

I lost my login details to my original account a couple of years back, and soon discovered it had also used an email address I no longer use, and couldn't reset it. I did try sending a few emails etc, but never heard anything and presumed the contact details I had must also be outdated.

Anyway, I finally decided the other day, after yet more attempts to contact Kim including messages via linkedin, to just forget the original account and re-register from scratch. Which is where this report comes in. The process was really broken.

So, I register my details, which all went fine. I get the confirmation email, click the link, and think I'll be all set. But when I login, there are no forums. Just a vague error message and nothing else. If you login with a new account, you don't even get the Guest view of the unregistered, just an error message and nothing else.

There's no reason that new accounts should have less access than no account at all, is there?

Anyway, I try to use the contact an admin link, which is basically just a standard mailto: link behind some javascript. I decide to use my gmail account, and simply copy the email address over.

The email bounces.

I check all the details are correct and again try, and again the mailer daemon bounces the email saying the mailbox for admin@cre8asiteforums.com is full.

I have no idea how long this has been broken, but thought it urgent to let you know about it.

Thank goodness that is not actually my first impression of Cre8asite :infinite-banana:

#2 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

Pffft who are YOU anyway?

;-)

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Welcome back, Ammon. :cheers:

Appreciate the information of your difficulties and will discuss what are now our concerns with root Admins.

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

So, after all that, how did you manage to get in and post?

#5 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

Good to see you, Ammon.

:cheers:

#6 Ammon

Ammon

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

iamlost reviewed and approved my application. :)

Turns out that even though you aren't told you'll have to wait in the error messages, and you've already had an automated reply telling you that access is granted, it isn't until an admin approves it that you'll be able to see anything but an error-message while logged in.

You see, the automated validation message sent from the forums automatically goes like:

Ammon,
This email has been sent from http://www.cre8asite...orums/index.php.

You have received this email because this email address
was used during registration for our forums.
If you did not register at our forums, please disregard this
email. You do not need to unsubscribe or take any further action.

------------------------------------------------
Activation Instructions
------------------------------------------------

Thank you for registering.
We require that you "validate" your registration to ensure that
the email address you entered was correct. This protects against
unwanted spam and malicious abuse.

To activate your account, simply click on the following link:

<email address removed by Ammon>

(AOL Email users may need to cut and paste the link into your web
browser).

You click that, login, and all you get is error-messages in the tables where the forums should be, as you have no rights to see the forums (I'm guessing from memory of the back-end settings).

Nothing tells you that there's a further step to account activation.

But today I received another email:

Success!

An administrator has accepted your registration request or email address change at Cre8asite Forums. You may now log in with
your chosen details and access your full user account at http://www.cre8asite...orums/index.php

Regards,

The Cre8asite Forums team.
http://www.cre8asite...orums/index.php

Hi Barry, Donna, iamlost, and Wit btw. :)

Pffft who are YOU anyway?

I am not the droid you are looking for.

Whaddaya want, a lineage chart? :)

Edited by Ammon, 21 August 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Yes, as part of our scam-spam defence we have instituted an Admin review of all registrations. As can be seen in my recent State of Cre8 post it is a current necessity to keep the pollution level managable.

I did let yours sit for a bit because while I was pretty sure it was most likely (gotta love all those qualifiers :)) you I was concerned due to your existing, if infrequently used of late, account. When it became a simple choice between emailing for identity confirmation or approving and seeing went the simple route.

Thank you for taking the time to point us at a couple of points needing improvement. The additional detail is definitely appreciated.

Now that you have taken the trouble to get back in the door...
:nanaparty:
join the party!!!

#8 Ammon

Ammon

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

because while I was pretty sure it was most likely (gotta love all those qualifiers smile.gif) you I was concerned due to your existing, if infrequently used of late, account

Heh, been trying to get that reactivated every 4 months or so for a couple of years. Emails go to an account I no longer have, and the several attempts to contact Kim (via various venues) and Admin all failed. :frustration:

Re-registering a new account was my last choice. :)

I was starting to think it was some weird kind of ban, trapping me in some inescapable vicious circle :allbymyself:

#9 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

I just got the admin email account reinstated -- no idea how long that's been a problem - but you're the first person who actually managed to get some information to us in some way to let us know...

Sigh.

I'll also go in and fix that email message...if I can find it...

Welcome back! It's good to see you!

#10 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2062 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

It's a crying shame you had to go through all that, Ammon. It's a shame anyone would have to.

Nonetheless, it's really good to hear from you. :)

#11 Ammon

Ammon

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

Hi Joe, and Ron too. :wave:

Well, at least I did get through and as a result the problems have been identified and can be fixed. In most of life that's the thing - its not whether something breaks that matters, its all in how we fix it. :)

Now to get myself settled down with a cuppa and catch up on all the changes around here. I've missed you all, and it will be great to catch up. :cheers:

#12 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:12 AM

Welcome back, Ammon :wave:

You should have tried this shiny new fad of late, Twitter, to get in touch with Kim :) But I'm happy you've got things settled, anyway :)

#13 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

LOL, Yura, I was thinking the same thing, but kept it to myself.

Welcome back, indeed, Ammon! :)

#14 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

You should have tried this shiny new fad of late, Twitter...

Tw-what?

Seriously, the "error" pages on this forum ARE a bit annoying, and may well turn newbies (i.e. not BK Ammon) into non-returners.

For example, the New Posts link coughs up a 404-style error every time there are no new posts. Hm. No, I did NOT do anything wrong, dear Cre8 Forum, I was just looking for new posts....

All that said, the admins are always very helpful when things go wrong. I remember when a pseudo-Wit got my nickname (first) and abused it, but then I got it fair and square (?).

Quick question, Ammon, are you gonna get your new and old accounts merged in any way?

#15 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

Is it generational?
Whenever I think of Ammon, yes, 'tis of thee Mr. Johns...
However, whenever I think of the Black Knight, 'tis of the Monty Python twist on the the chivalric stereotype...

Of course the underline-score is a distinctive differentiation...
Black Knight == romantic stock character
Black_Knight == reknowned Internet Marketing Consultant

Now, back to work some more on the difference(s) between Wit with capitalisation and wit without...

Perhaps a set of flash cards...

#16 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

... not to forget the Dark and Stormy Knight. :)

#17 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Quick question, Ammon, are you gonna get your new and old accounts merged in any way?

I rather suspect that for the very few posts under Ammon rather than as Black_Knight, it would not be worth the effort. :)

Hi Yura and Donna :wave:

#18 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hi Ammon!

I was a bit upset that you had to go through all that and I wasn't able to help...SES San Francisco last week and LiBecki Integrated Marketing company gathering this weekend.

Since anyone who can't register contacts me, and I've been getting those emails (folks who weren't verifified for whatever reason) and I did get your email, I think it was a combo of stuff all at once. I had no time whatsoever for anything the past week.

We run on an entirely volunteer basis these days, on a whoever who has time basis. There are no tech admins and sub-admins like the old days...just a few folks who helped move the forums to our new host and can still get into the back-end.

Personally, I've been finding more time to put into the forums again, as the kids are young adults now and don't need me like before. My goal is to simplify everything and let the forums' focus return to the discussions we're known for.

You know. Social stuff.

Weren't we like, one of the first in social networking??? :nanadevil: :nanadevil: :nanadevil:

I've always kept the light on for you Ammon.

#19 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hehe I see, Ammon - no real need to merge things. Good to see your old self back

#20 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Nice to have my old self back. :)

No worries, Kim, it just proved surprisingly difficult to contact you. Methods tried over the past 2 years were message via linkedin when you were posting on the Cre8 group there, emails that I presume were to old addresses, such as your gmail one and the old Cre8pc one, etc. I think I tried FB too about a year back.

I certainly understand about the time issues. That's what stopped me until now. I never seemed to have the time to chase it and follow up past the initial hurdles at the time it was actually on my mind. And I guess when I did have the time, I was too busy enjoying it to be thinking about chasing lost forum registrations :)

Great point about Social Networking too. People today act like Social Networking started with Web 2.0 and such buzzwords, but heck, it was there all along. Social Networking is the Internet. From alt mailgroups, through the original BBS, and IRC chat, etc. Social Media is not new. It just got a new name and dumbed down to be more accessible to those who couldn't write to letters pages, use Ham radio, etc. ;)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users