• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple boss, The Telegraph, 25-August-2011 (UK time difference: 24th in North America)

His resignation letter:

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Edited by iamlost, 24 August 2011 - 07:44 PM.

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

Well, I guess here's hoping they don't name him John Sculley, JR.

Edited by Michael_Martinez, 24 August 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#3 JVRudnick

JVRudnick

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

@Micheal...in the great beyond...when those two - SJ and Sculley - meet up over a beer...I'd love to be a fly on that bar room wall...

that said, I did once attend an Apple event, a MacWorld I think and yup, saw the SJ in his black turtleneck and wranglers....so yes, I've been to the temple...and he will be missed - NOT his staff relations but his vision!!!!

just wonder what SJ will do now tho....maybe he'll join Paul Allen and work on SETI....or just sit on his yacht and drink Mojitos all day....

bubbye SJ...you will be missed....

:-(

Jim

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

A recent John Sculley take on Steve Jobs and et al...
John Sculley On Steve Jobs, The Full Interview Transcript, by Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac, 14-October-2011.

It’s long but worth reading because there are some awesome insights into how Jobs does things.

It’s also one of the frankest CEO interviews you’ll ever read. Sculley talks openly about Jobs and Apple, admits it was a mistake to hire him to run the company and that he knows little about computers.

#5 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

That's a very rare and frank admission from a CEO-level executive. They usually don't admit to their faults. Sculley's record at Apple pretty much speaks for itself, though, and I guess anyone in his position would have to be honest about the mismatch in skills/needs if he wanted to continue in his career.

#6 DCrx

DCrx

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1293 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

I think this is an interesting experiment in whether or not design thinking exists and can be developed as a corporate culture ...or will be Sculley'd in the cold oatmeal of corporate complacency.

I read somwhere Jonathan Ive was at apple because Apple let him be a designer.

Who ended up running the company? Sales guys. At the critical juncture in the late ’80s, when they should have gone for market share, they went for profits. They made obscene profits for several years. And their products became mediocre.

—Steve Jobs, OK, Mac, Make a Wish Apple’s ‘computer for the rest of us’ is, insanely, 20

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users