• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

How important is it to have the link backs and brandings removed from various software we use on the site? (VBulletin, Various Themes, Wordpress, etc) -

Some are paid some are not, but

1) Does it matter if we don't remove the link backs in terms of SEO?
2) Does it matter that users see what software is being used - have you seen any study that connects having (or not having) branding links connected to any sort of conversion rate?

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

I always remove the Wordpress links. I run plugins like Secure Wordpress and Firewall, so it seems a bit silly to advertise that you are using it if you are worried about security. Besides, removing the links also reduces spam.

If you are allowed to remove the link, remove it. I always talk about how wonderful wordpress is and suggest it in forums and on my own blog, so I do not feel bad about removing it from a site that does not generally attract the type of people who would be interested.

#3 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

I agree about removing those link backs that we're allowed to remove.

How about for non wordpress sites though? For example for VBulletin it will cost me (i think) about $150 to remove branding - I have few other softwares that the link back removal costs about the same.

Im just thinking whether its worth it?

#4 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

Some open source licenses require attribution. So if you are using some plugin/theme/other WP code/social button images/etc with Creative Commons or other licenses that require attribution (credit, a link), then you'd rather keep the link.

Also, it has always been a generally accepted, unwritten rule that you link to the theme author to thank him for his work. You can remove links from a paid theme, unless required or previously negotiated otherwise (i.e., a cheap version, but you need to link to the author's website).

Then again, I too remove links to Drupal.org, because the link is non-topically related and I promote it by suggesting as the CMS of choice, anyway. Thankfully, Drupal themes don't contain credit links often.

Which links I *am* willing to remove are links to third party sites that theme developers sell. For example, you install a theme and the footer links to the author's website and a few offtopic websites with commercial anchor text. I'd remove the latter links altogether without any second thought.

To think about it, I'm not very obliging to that generally accepted rule, unless demanded in writing in writing, after all.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 29 August 2011 - 04:31 AM.

#5 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

I think those links should be left in place. It's true that spammers search for them but there now seem to be enough tools available to counteract a lot of the spam software. Also, many people dropped out of the link spam game because of Google Panda.

#6 vernessa

vernessa

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

When I have the option to turn off a plugin's credit link, most often I do that IF it compromises the look of my theme. (Some are ugly or have bad placement of the links.)

In free themes, I leave the link back to the author but generally modify it to suit my tastes or to point to documentation on their site. As I spend a good deal of time to vet free themes, I'm comfortable giving the developers some credit for their hard work.

For software, themes and scripts I pay for, the credit link remains intact but I add my affiliate link to it. One reason for leaving this in place is because when I come across a software, script or theme that I like, I might want to check out its features. I always appreciate if I can scroll down and find a link to the developers.

Same goes for open source software. I've never paid to have a link removed. Really, I think they offer that as a way to recoup some of their development costs. I'd just as soon send them a donation.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users